Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I only wanted to do one but its a case of itchy feet. Rainbow will you not miss all that training.

Your Coach ECOLI runs almost 100 miles a week and has never ran a marathon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Rainbow that sounds like a good plan.:D

Bloody hell 100 miles. I would not do that in a month:). What he training for.

While training for last year marathon I said never again but I was disappointed when finished so I have to do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

I only want to DCM this year too but all this marathon talk is getting to me!

I'm suppose to be building up my 5k then 10k is it ok to do a LSR at the weekend while doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey Guys,

Sorry a bit late for this one. In terms of whats next its up to you guys. I see alot of people getting itchy trigger fingers to get at another one. I think it is important to build up enough of a base to actually have a proper go at a marathon. As MM and RK stated you can still do the training and not run marathons. You want to get to a point when completing the marathon is not an issue but rather you are comfortable in tackling the times you want.

Originally my coaching plan aim was to be progressive along the year building miles and intenisty of training so that come DCM this year if people wanted to tackle it again their body was ready to put in training to make major improvements.

I run a fair amount of miles and they benefit me for every distance from 1500m upwards. One of the most famous coaches Arthur Lydiard said it best "miles make champions". I dont avoid marathons because I dont want to do one but I want to give it my best and have enough miles in my legs over a few years to build up my aerobic capacity to be able to cope with the training properly to hit times I would be looking for.

I was thinking the Great Ireland run (10k) could be a natural next target to go after. This does not mean you have to not race till then but it gives time to see good improvement and its a medium target

If people want I can do up a short (5k-10k) and long plan (HM - M) each week to facilitate things but my only reservation about that would be segregating the group somewhat in this thread

Let me know what you guys think either way its usual Tuesday night easy run tonight and will post rest of weeks plan later when I get an idea for what people wanna do

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Thanks Ecoli, Great Ireland 10k sounds good!

• Advertisement

I think i would be happy enough to follow your training was thinking last night and my main goal for 2012 is dublin marathon. But i was hoping to do ballina half marathon in May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

10k sounds good to me too. I would probably use the Local BHAA 10k on the first of april for mine as to head to dublin for it would be too expensive all round.

OK so what do we have to do to break 30mins come april E.coli ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

BobMac104 wrote: »
    10k sounds good to me too. I would probably use the Local BHAA 10k on the first of april for mine as to head to dublin for it would be too expensive all round.

OK so what do we have to do to break 30mins come april E.coli ??

Bob - Just saw your Dungarvan time. Great performance. Your times are dropping fairly quickly.

I've already signed up for the Great Ireland Run so happy days Ecoli :D

Look forward to specific training again, all injuries seem to be behind me & am raring to go. Will keep DCM as my marathon for this year then and focus on the 10k for now.

Thanks PDCAT. Ya happy with it. Loving the running at the moment. Joined a local club and they are bringing me on loads aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Ecoli. meath half in march for me and then cork marathon in June. So not sure what way to approach it. Concentrate on getting sub2 in the half in march and then slot into a marathon plan then or start with the marathon plan now :confused:

Oh and thanks for the training programme for the 5 miler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thanks Ecoli
    After reading the comments yesterday in the thread about to marathon or not i was thinking last night and kinda decide that i do not have enough of a base for 2 marathons in one year. However, I have signed up for Meath Spring half on March 4th so will do that and i have done Great Ireland for the past 2 yr so will target that again. So count me in as following your plans for the 10 k but will add a few long runs to get me ready for the half in 5 weeks. i love the variation in you plans and trying different things and not jut plodding around the roads

When the time comes in June to think about starting training for DCM, i will revisit things then.....after all i have 2 marathon done and never went above 40m in any one week:eek: so need to work on that first!!!
    Hope that all make sense!

So is it decided that we are continuing with this until the Dublin Marathon. We will need to pick a new name if so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

everyone come up with suggestions & then we'll all agree on one.
    my suggestions are:

DCM Class of 2011 - The next Challenge or
    DCM Class of 2011 - The Continuing Challenge :D

DCM Class of 2011 - the ongoing saga.

Younganne wrote: »
    everyone come up with suggestions & then we'll all agree on one.
    my suggestions are:

DCM Class of 2011 - The next Challenge or
    DCM Class of 2011 - The Continuing Challenge :D

I like the second one. We won't have to change it then in April.

So +1 for DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge.

Same as

So +1 for DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge.

Like that one too: DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge
    Sounds good!

Ill change the title now so

Here is the plan for this week. I am gonna devise a plan that is more strength based for 10k and as a result should be more suitable for the Half also

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|3m|1 mile easy, 30 min MP, 1 mile easy|3m|rest|1mile easy, 8x1 min hills 1 mile easy|90 min easy

For the hills something similar to Kyber in the park for anyone who knows it would be idea and also if people wanted to use that hill and try and arrange a group session its an idea. The recovery is simply walk back down recoveries and the effort is roughly 10k effort (this is not pace but rather how hard you would have felt running in Raheny)

We are progressing to two sessions a week from now on and there will be an increase in mileage over the next few weeks. A month is not a huge amount of time to make a difference for a full half specific training program however given the plan for the last few months you should have a solid enough base to begin with to be able to hit the targets

Thanks Ecoli!

I'd love to meet up to try that hill session on Saturday. Will be my first one so would be really nice to have some comrades for it:D

Anyone else be able to meet up on Saturday in the Phoenix park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Is the Saturday session supposed to be
    1mile easy, 8x1 min hills 1 mile easy
    or is that extra '1 mile' supposed to be in there?

RayCun wrote: »
    Is the Saturday session supposed to be
    1mile easy, 8x1 min hills 1 mile easy
    or is that extra '1 mile' supposed to be in there?

Edited now cheers:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was just wondering if it was supposed to be something in between the easy mile and the hills - a mile at 5k pace to loosen the legs or something :)

Thanks for the title change!

just thinking thats its only 3 months since DCM 2011. seems alot longer ago.

It does feel so much longer since DCM 11, bet it'll fly in to DCM 12 though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Cutex wrote: »
    Thanks Ecoli!

I'd love to meet up to try that hill session on Saturday. Will be my first one so would be really nice to have some comrades for it:D

Anyone else be able to meet up on Saturday in the Phoenix park?

Won't be able to make it this weekend, but would definitely be up for this in future!

Same here, cant make this weekend, but definitely interested! Thanks

So whats everyones next race?

Ballycotton for me, anyone else doing it?

Great Ireland for me then the Terenure 5 mile. Just happy to be out running properly again so taking it easy on the races for now;)

• Advertisement

Good stuff cutex!

Advertisement