Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Nothing until the Patricks weekend 5km in Dublin & then the Great Ireland Run...saying that have only managed 3.5 miles this week as seem to be injured again, few days rest will hopefully do the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Must say, I'm tempted to do an April/May marathon. Would like to keep up the long distances and sometimes I feel I need that kind of a big goal for the motivation... Wouldn't be looking to improve my time, just my fitness I guess. Will let ye know if I decide to take the plunge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

run44 wrote: »
    Must say, I'm tempted to do an April/May marathon. Would like to keep up the long distances and sometimes I feel I need that kind of a big goal for the motivation... Wouldn't be looking to improve my time, just my fitness I guess. Will let ye know if I decide to take the plunge!

You dont need to do a marathon to justify high mileage. every distance from 1500m upwards is predominantly aerobic meaning that the higher mileage will benefit regardless of the distance.

You also will find that as your body becomes used to the higher mileage the quicker the legs will recover from hard sessions meaning you can conduct more quality work.

I have increase my mileage over the last two years and as a result I have seen huge improvements in my PBs from 1500m to 10k without stepping up to the mileage as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

I am stuck, cant seem to find a race for February that will suit. I am doing the Portlaoise 5K on Paddy's Day and I will probably do the Great run even though I hated it last year. But since everyone else is doing it I might as well join in. Will be using it as a tune up for my first half of the year in May, Ballina half marathon.

I am stuck, cant seem to find a race for February that will suit. I am doing the Portlaoise 5K on Paddy's Day and I will probably do the Great run even though I hated it last year. But since everyone else is doing it I might as well join in. Will be using it as a tune up for my first half of the year in May, Ballina half marathon.

Rás UCD is a 5k on 26th of Feb? or a 10k in Enniscorthy on 12th of Feb. The 5k is flat and fast from what I know of the course this year. The 10k is one of my favourite races of the year. Hilly course but fast as it has 2 mile downhill at the end and was one I was looking to do but unfortunately stuck in work that day

• Advertisement

I was hoping to keep it local for a while keep the cost done. Cant do Enniscorthy, that's valentines weekend I wont have legs to run ever again if I do that one:o. Will wait and see during the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Good lash of races being done in fairness. Anyone ever do track races. Wouldn't mind trying a mile time trial just for fun. I suppose you could just do that anytime it wouldn't have to be a race.

Nothing until the Patricks weekend 5km in Dublin & then the Great Ireland Run...saying that have only managed 3.5 miles this week as seem to be injured again, few days rest will hopefully do the trick!
    Sorry to hear that kitty. Hope it comes right quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Good lash of races being done in fairness. Anyone ever do track races. Wouldn't mind trying a mile time trial just for fun. I suppose you could just do that anytime it wouldn't have to be a race.

In the summer, BHAA have an 800m and mile on the grass track in TCD, a mile race in Irishtown stadium, a 3k also in Irishtown, and a 2 mile in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

hey ecoli. Missed my hill rep session this morning... and believe me i really wanted to do it :rolleyes: anyway LSR on the cards for tomorrow. So will i just do it as normal or is there some way of incorporating some of todays session in with it. A bit of a confusing question was just wondering :)

• Advertisement

Nules10 wrote: »
    hey ecoli. Missed my hill rep session this morning... and believe me i really wanted to do it :rolleyes: anyway LSR on the cards for tomorrow. So will i just do it as normal or is there some way of incorporating some of todays session in with it. A bit of a confusing question was just wondering :)

I would say proceed with the LSR as planned dont try to make up for it by combining the two days into one

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

I missed lots of sessions this week due to family things but managed to get my LSR done yesterday. It was really tough from 30mins in, probably again due to family things but I stuck at it and completed the 90mins so the hardest run in a longtime but one of the most rewarding, great for the confidence :D

Hopefully next week will be better, have dental surgery on Friday so might be off for a little while. Hate when real life gets in the way:mad:

Did anyone get the hill training done? How did it go?

Ecoli,
    If I can't make it into the Khyber can I do hill sessions on short steep hills? If so how many reps do i do? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I missed wednesdays run so did it on Thursday - 5.09m in 51.12min @ 10.04 avg pace 165 avg H/B, my pace was all over the place.
    I took the rest day as planned on Friday,

Headed out yesterday to do the hills, but because i missed the 3m from thurdays i incorporated it into this run, so i did 4m @avg 9.52/166HB, then reset the watch and started the hills,
    i wasn't sure what pace these were meant to be done at so i just did what i was able for:
    1. - .16mile @9.06/172= 1.24 mins
    2. - .15mile @8.50/172 = 1.16mins
    3. - .13mile @8.35/172 = 1.07mins
    4. - .13mile @8.05/172 = 1.03mins
    5. - .13mile @8.44/172 = 1.06mins
    6 - .12mile @8.37/171 = 1.04mins
    cooldown of .83m@ 10.27/172
    hills and Cool down was 2.4 m... so 6.4m

i decided not to do the full 8 hill reps as i wasn't sure what impact the 4m at the start would have on me BUT i Enjoyed the hills

Today i did an 8m run and i was was aware that i wanted to keep it on the slower side of what i have done the recent longer runs...it wa s stepback week as i did 9/10 the last 2 weeks.

8m @10.37/161 enjoyed this as it was nice and relaxed!!

Younganne wrote: »
    I missed wednesdays run so did it on Thursday - 5.09m in 51.12min @ 10.04 avg pace 165 avg H/B, my pace was all over the place.
    I took the rest day as planned on Friday,

Headed out yesterday to do the hills, but because i missed the 3m from thurdays i incorporated it into this run, so i did 4m @avg 9.52/166HB, then reset the watch and started the hills,
    i wasn't sure what pace these were meant to be done at so i just did what i was able for:
    1. - .16mile @9.06/172= 1.24 mins
    2. - .15mile @8.50/172 = 1.16mins
    3. - .13mile @8.35/172 = 1.07mins
    4. - .13mile @8.05/172 = 1.03mins
    5. - .13mile @8.44/172 = 1.06mins
    6 - .12mile @8.37/171 = 1.04mins
    cooldown of .83m@ 10.27/172
    hills and Cool down was 2.4 m... so 6.4m

i decided not to do the full 8 hill reps as i wasn't sure what impact the 4m at the start would have on me BUT i Enjoyed the hills

Today i did an 8m run and i was was aware that i wanted to keep it on the slower side of what i have done the recent longer runs...it wa s stepback week as i did 9/10 the last 2 weeks.

8m @10.37/161 enjoyed this as it was nice and relaxed!!

Great session well done

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|||151.8|151.8||
    Younganne|4|23.0|71.36m|71.36m|great variety this week :D|
    red face dave|||75|75|
    Nules10 |||99.62|99.62|
    Conseng||||
    run44|||91.8|91.8m||
    shazkea|||64|64|
    KittyMittens|||38.8|38.8||
    Cutex|||41|41||
    Alitoast|||41.2|41.1|

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

red face dave|||75|75|
    Nules10 |||99.62|99.62|
    Conseng||||
    run44|3|24.2|116|116m|Missed couple of midweek runs :rolleyes:|
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Cutex|||41|41||
    Alitoast|||41.2|41.1|

red face dave|3|16|16|91|Low miles but good quality work.
    Nules10 |||99.62|99.62|
    Conseng||||
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Cutex|||41|41||
    Alitoast|||41.2|41.1|

BobMac104|7|54.5m|34m|206.3m|Consistant week. A record for me interms of milage.Legs feel good|
    Nules10 |||99.62|99.62|
    Conseng||||
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Cutex|||41|41||
    Alitoast|||41.2|41.1|

I was tired in the begining of the week after dungarvan but quickly recovered. No speed as such this week they were replaced with steady (~half marathon paced) 8m runs.

Cutex wrote: »
    I missed lots of sessions this week due to family things but managed to get my LSR done yesterday. It was really tough from 30mins in, probably again due to family things but I stuck at it and completed the 90mins so the hardest run in a longtime but one of the most rewarding, great for the confidence :D

Hopefully next week will be better, have dental surgery on Friday so might be off for a little while. Hate when real life gets in the way:mad:

Did anyone get the hill training done? How did it go?

Ecoli,
    If I can't make it into the Khyber can I do hill sessions on short steep hills? If so how many reps do i do? Thanks

If you are doing shorter hills keep the numer of reps the same and work on form driving up the hills and take a longer recovery if needed. This session is about become efficient in your running though it will have benefits on your fitness also

Hey Guys

Here is the plan for next week

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|3m|1 mile easy, 20 min HMP, 1 mile easy|3m|rest|1mile easy, 8x1 min hills 1 mile easy|90 min easy

This is suitable for both those targetting HM and shorter races over the coming months. The aim of the plan is to build your strength up as that is where as beginners you make the most gains. Strength = speed and as such what will benefit you as a HM runner will benefit you as a 5k/10k runner

In terms of the plan you have everything you need in it for a good HM plan if you look you have your LSR, Race paced session and a form/strength session which all will benefit you immensely. This is the same sort of template that many HM runners uses and one that I used when I PB'ed at the distance yet I also used it in the early stages of last season and took over 1 min off my 10k time (normally I manage PB's by only seconds at this stage of my running career)

@BobMac - be careful with your training as 8 miles @ HMP is quite an excessive session. While you may be able for it be careful of not training too hard and leaving the best of your running in training. Remember we train to race rather than to race training. Its better to train smarter than to train harder. I am running PB's now running sessions slower than I did 2 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

BobMac104|7|54.5m|34m|206.3m|Consistant week. A record for me interms of milage.Legs feel good|
    Nules10 |||99.62|99.62|
    Conseng||||
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Cutex|||41|41||
    Alitoast|4|23.8|65.0|65.0|legs felt a lot better this week|

ecoli wrote: »
    @BobMac - be careful with your training as 8 miles @ HMP is quite an excessive session. While you may be able for it be careful of not training too hard and leaving the best of your running in training. Remember we train to race rather than to race training. Its better to train smarter than to train harder. I am running PB's now running sessions slower than I did 2 years ago

Ok sound advice thanks e.coli! I was running with others who are much better than me so i was being pulled on but I felt ok and able for it.
    It does bring up an other question for me though. I did my last Half marathon at just under 8 minute miles (1:44:3x) at the begining of december. We did those runs this week at that pace and while they were a hard run i felt ok really and not wiped out after. When doing sessions like you outlined above calling for HMP Should I go with Mcmillan or daniels for HMP based of my current shorter race times or stick with a pace based on an actual HM i ran.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Thanks Ecoli.

I tend to want to do higher mileage, 3 miles sounds like so little now! But I will trust your judgement and stick to 3m tonight.

Looking forward to pushing it tomorrow, I'm going to do my HMP based on the time I want to get rather than the only half marathon I ever did, is that ok?

This is a very good question. Ideally as you become more experienced in your running you should aim to learn how to read your body and the effort you are giving. HMP should feel steady but not race fast and always err on the side of conservative rather than aggressive. If you think you are going too fast 9/10 times you probably are. With MP runs you should feel pretty comfortable for the first mile or two and then start to feel like a steady effort as it goes on

Normally I wouldnt say aim for target HMP for runners and run within your ability but in the first 6-12 months of running at the least you are going to see significant improvement simply from building an aerobic base and as such your previous times are soon improved on so it is hard to use them as paces. Mcmillan on recent race results can be one option to give you an idea but again use this along with perceived effort and try the efforts i described earlier

Good man Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Nules10 ||||128.2|keep forgetting to update this table but thats what i am at in the 1000 mile challenge
    Conseng||||
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Cutex|||41|41||

]Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    Nules10 ||||128.2|keep forgetting to update this table but thats what i am at in the 1000 mile challenge
    Conseng||||
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Cutex|3|19|19|58.5|really enjoyed this weeks running

I forgot to fill in the table for two weeks ago but total is right from 1000m challenge!

Some really great running going on here-well done Challengers!

i forgot to change my monthly total on the table to Feb, so must remember to do it at the weekend!!!

went for the planned session today

took a while to settle in and the first part of the 20min @ HMP wasn't at HMP, but then i relaxed and got it right....
    WU, 1m=10.19/150
    20Mins @HMP= 1m=9.27/169
    2m=9.03/171
    .26m 8.41/174
    CD-1m=9.57/163

Ecoli - regarding the hill reps for Sat, what pace or effort should they be run at, i wasn't sure so last week i just went with what i could give them, but holding back enough to get me to the top!!

Younganne wrote: »
    Ecoli - regarding the hill reps for Sat, what pace or effort should they be run at, i wasn't sure so last week i just went with what i could give them, but holding back enough to get me to the top!!

These should be run at 10k effort not pace basically should be difficult but only really start to hurt in the last 15 secs or so of the reps

• Advertisement

Hi Folks

Hope this week went well and people are still going strong. Here is this weeks plan

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|4m|1 mile easy, 8x400m @ 5 mile Race pace w / 1 min , 1 mile easy|4m|rest|1mile easy, 8x1 min hills 1 mile easy|90 min easy

The 400s should feel comfortable enough at the start but by the end you should feel it comfortably tough to hold the pace in the last two reps. If you dont have access to a track run these on a fairly flat loop somewhere and base them time (e.g 1 min 45 hard 1 min recovery)

Advertisement