Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Younganne wrote: »
    Have to confess Ecoli, :o felt that 15mins wasn't worth bringing the running gear into work for and that i'd do it when i got home...but both Fridays i didn't manage to get out...but i will definitely do it this week,
    I'll be back at the Meath running group this wednesday which will be intervals, so won't be doing the hills, but will fit a few in on my LSR at the Weekend......
    6m easy today felt lovely and easy so the 2 days rest were good for the legs...raring to go now for the rest of the week...

To be honest I can understand the mindsight behind not feeling 15 min recovery run was worth the bother. Its a concept which took me a good long while to get my head around

- Though its 15 min at the moment this will build as we are aiming to get your body to adapt to only one rest day a week

- A short recovery run can have major benefits for recovery. Often this increases bloodflow to the legs to flush out the toxins. If done correctly you will get to the stage where you feel you are getting more recovery from this jogs than you would with a complete day off. The other side to the coin is its alot easier to hit higher mileage safetly if you have an extra day of running. Think of it like walking on ice, if you spread out the pressure (in this case on the body) there is less of a chance of breaking down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

ecoli wrote: »
    To be honest I can understand the mindsight behind not feeling 15 min recovery run was worth the bother. Its a concept which took me a good long while to get my head around

- Though its 15 min at the moment this will build as we are aiming to get your body to adapt to only one rest day a week

- A short recovery run can have major benefits for recovery. Often this increases bloodflow to the legs to flush out the toxins. If done correctly you will get to the stage where you feel you are getting more recovery from this jogs than you would with a complete day off. The other side to the coin is its alot easier to hit higher mileage safetly if you have an extra day of running. Think of it like walking on ice, if you spread out the pressure (in this case on the body) there is less of a chance of breaking down

hmmm... when you put it that way, maybe I should make time for that 15 minutes too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thanks Ecoli, as always very well explained and i knew there was a reason for it, so will definitely get to it this week!!
    Emer911 wrote: »
    hmmm... when you put it that way, maybe I should make time for that 15 minutes too :rolleyes:

Emer, so it wasn't just me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

This time last year I ran a 5K in 23min 10 which was a PB. Last night I did 19mins 10 and feel I can increase that much much more. Disappointed now that I didn't get sub 19 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

jaysus rom great time lad !! if come home with 19 anything next week ill be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

Hi!just wondering if anybody can tell me what is to be done on days sat/sun - won't come out on my phone.thanks

Second week of base building down. How is everyone finding the mileage so far? Are people feeling any effects from the recovery day (good or bad?)

Here is next weeks plan

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|6 mile easy|Session 1*|6m easy|15 min recovery|Progression*|1 hr 45 easy

Session 11 mile warm up, 10x30 sec hills @ 5k-5m effort jog back down recovery, 1 mile cooldown

Progression 1 mile warm up, 3 miles steady, 2 miles @ MP, 1 mile at HMP, 1 mile cooldown

With the progression run I want you to base this on effort, its still early in the training plan to be too worried about hitting exact MP so if you feel it is too though just try to base it on effort, same goes for HMP

Any questions just ask as always

Here you go S, I hope hols are going well & isn't too hot!!:D

Hi Folks

Hope training went well this week. Starting off with a well deserved rest day after the weekends heavy miles

|Rest|6 mile easy|Session 1*|7m easy|20 min recovery|Session 2*|2 hr easy

Session 1 - 2 mile warm up, Fartlek - 1 min hard/easy, 2 min hard/easy, 3 min hard/easy, 4 min hard/easy, 3 min hard/easy, 2 min hard/ easy, 1 min hard/easy 2 mile cooldown

Hard- 5k-10k pace
    Easy - Steady-easy pace

Session 2 - 2 miles easy - 25 min @ HMP 2 mile easy

Any questions just ask. If anyone is running Finglas let me know and I will do a plan for them as I dont want them doing this schedule if they are racing this week

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|||52.35m|1148.45| |
    rom|||182M|1093M||
    Younganne|6|39.80m|66.17|571.07m|delighted with this weeks running and feeling strong at the moment!! hols next week so will try to stick to plan as much as possible|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44||||297.6m||
    Scriba ||||248.84m|
    Emer911||||504|

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blooming

Loving this thread...going to try and follow the plan as well if that's ok. I'm tired lately in training so need to make changes to the way I train.
    Just a question to anyone doing ecoli's plan...do you do other types of training and if so how often? I'm hoping to do k'bells at home to strengthen up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

BobMac104|||52.35m|1148.45| |
    rom|||182M|1093M||
    Younganne|6|39.80m|66.17|571.07m|delighted with this weeks running and feeling strong at the moment!! hols next week so will try to stick to plan as much as possible|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44|5|31m|57m|482.1m|Updating the table... finally!|
    Scriba ||||248.84m|
    Emer911||||504|

Blooming wrote: »
    Loving this thread...going to try and follow the plan as well if that's ok. I'm tired lately in training so need to make changes to the way I train.
    Just a question to anyone doing ecoli's plan...do you do other types of training and if so how often? I'm hoping to do k'bells at home to strengthen up.

Welcome on board

Supplementary training can be quite useful and I do a bit myself to strength targetted weak points I have. I would say the best day to do it probably would be Thursday as there is a recovery day on a Friday to allow you body to adapt to the stresses of the session

Welcome on board

Supplementary training can be quite useful and I do a bit myself to strength targetted weak points I have. I would say the best day to do it probably would be Thursday as there is a recovery day on a Friday to allow you body to adapt to the stresses of the session

+1 on the above, i usually do Kettlebells on a Thursday evening(missed the last few weeks but hope to get back to it in 2 weeks after hols) and I find its great for my core which helps me while running because as the core strengthens i'm less inclined to slouch when tired therefore allowing my breath to get in and around the body which helps with the tiredness too :D

BobMac104|5|37.5|89.85m|1185.95| Not a high milage week but a great amount of quality and the legs are feeling strong and the stomach is improving|
    rom|||182M|1093M||
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    Scriba ||||248.84m|
    Emer911||||504|

I didnt do a huge amount of milage this week but every mile seemed to have a pupose and the average pace all week was faster in general. I am not going to worry about milage I think untill the middle of August. I am doing 14 miles on sundays which is enough to keep the base up for when i get back to the marathon specific stuff. 5k next wednesday now. I am just going to go enjoy it.

Best of Luck in the 5k on Wednesday Bob, enjoy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

BobMac104|5|37.5|89.85m|1185.95| Not a high milage week but a great amount of quality and the legs are feeling strong and the stomach is improving|
    rom|||182M|1093M||
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    Scriba |1|5|5|253.84m|Back running this week, now to build slowly again. :)|
    Emer911||||504|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

rom|||182M|1093M||
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    Scriba |1|5|5|253.84m|Back running this week, now to build slowly again. :)|
    Emer911|4|25.1||529.3|Hip issue last week so had to skip a run and reduce the miles on the last 2. Better this week though

This was always going to be a bit of a mystery race as i had done very little speed work since i began tapering 3 weeks before the cork marathon. I just decided id do it to give myself a little bit of focus over the last couple of weeks. I was really hoping to go sub 20min as it was a target that i felt i should have beaten earlier. Myself and a friend went down to it last night with little expectations. We registered and did a warm-up and the legs weren’t exactly full of life plus there was no pre race excitement in me. As we lined up the amount of people there was crazy (maybe even too many but its great to see all the same). There was 8-9 year olds lined up with their Mams etc up the front which had the potential for a disaster. with a minute to go the nerves kicked in finally and before i knew it we were off. The start was nuts kids and slower runners made for an "exciting" first 400m. I looked at the watch which was showing 5:30 miling , "go away ya eejit" I thought to myself. A typical start for me:rolleyes: so i pulled back a bit but still went through mile one in 6:09 (damage done). I felt great though at that point but within the next 800m or so the lungs were burning. There were a few nasty hills in this course which really took away all the momentum. Came to the 2 mile marker and was struggling to keep the pace. Up another hill and I was goosed. That hill almost sent me into total oxygen debt but i pulled it back just enough to avoid that. I got the pace back up after the hill and focused on staying relaxed. I was running well again with half a mile to go so gave it beans till the end. Came home in 19:53 (av pace 6:23) and a ~30sec PB. Happy to finally get that 20 min monkey off my back. I recovered quickly once i finished and went for a warm down and then a few cakes and tea. With the lack of any consistent speed work and a tricky enough course I’ll take it. I need to kick on now and get back to consistent training.

BobMac104 wrote: »
    This was always going to be a bit of a mystery race as i had done very little speed work since i began tapering 3 weeks before the cork marathon. I just decided id do it to give myself a little bit of focus over the last couple of weeks. I was really hoping to go sub 20min as it was a target that i felt i should have beaten earlier. Myself and a friend went down to it last night with little expectations. We registered and did a warm-up and the legs weren’t exactly full of life plus there was no pre race excitement in me. As we lined up the amount of people there was crazy (maybe even too many but its great to see all the same). There was 8-9 year olds lined up with their Mams etc up the front which had the potential for a disaster. with a minute to go the nerves kicked in finally and before i knew it we were off. The start was nuts kids and slower runners made for an "exciting" first 400m. I looked at the watch which was showing 5:30 miling , "go away ya eejit" I thought to myself. A typical start for me:rolleyes: so i pulled back a bit but still went through mile one in 6:09 (damage done). I felt great though at that point but within the next 800m or so the lungs were burning. There were a few nasty hills in this course which really took away all the momentum. Came to the 2 mile marker and was struggling to keep the pace. Up another hill and I was goosed. That hill almost sent me into total oxygen debt but i pulled it back just enough to avoid that. I got the pace back up after the hill and focused on staying relaxed. I was running well again with half a mile to go so gave it beans till the end. Came home in 19:53 (av pace 6:23) and a ~30sec PB. Happy to finally get that 20 min monkey off my back. I recovered quickly once i finished and went for a warm down and then a few cakes and tea. With the lack of any consistent speed work and a tricky enough course I’ll take it. I need to kick on now and get back to consistent training.

Lots of people are against the watch but I find it good in that I can say to myself your doing fine and all you need to do is to keep this pace. Ok I might not get that extra few percent but I will be more consistent. Cork 1/2 without watch avg pace recently was a disaster. I suppose if you are used to it in the training all the time then its a bad idea to not use it on race day. I run better times off the watch as like the GPS for the car I try and beat it or I go I can do better than that. Next time I do a mile race though I won't use it as it will slow me down as I should burn up on that. What do you think ?

rom wrote: »
    Lots of people are against the watch but I find it good in that I can say to myself your doing fine and all you need to do is to keep this pace. Ok I might not get that extra few percent but I will be more consistent. Cork 1/2 without watch avg pace recently was a disaster. I suppose if you are used to it in the training all the time then its a bad idea to not use it on race day. I run better times off the watch as like the GPS for the car I try and beat it or I go I can do better than that. Next time I do a mile race though I won't use it as it will slow me down as I should burn up on that. What do you think ?

I wouldn't be against a watch I just think to become a complete runner you need to work on becoming more in tune with your body. I would always wear a watch in races but aim to try and work more on feel and use it as secondary tool especially a the longer distances. with shorter ones I tend to be a bit more agressive in terms of using people as markers for a few reasons

Sometimes you need to work harder than you like to make sure you are not caught in no mans land in a race. As many people mentions running in a group is usually easier and the same applies in racing. It takes more effort to lead that to follow. So working harder at a point that the watch would dictate can sometimes make racing easier if that makes sense.

Even in mile races and track ones I would run off feel but always listen out for splits etc

The watch is not an enemy but it should not dictate either

• Advertisement

How did everyone get on in Finglas that was doing it? A bit of a cut back week this week for most

|Rest|5 mile easy|4 miles steady|5m easy|20 min recovery|5 miles|Session

Session 1 - 2 miles easy, 1 mile HMP, 1 mile easy, 2 miles MP, 1 mile easy, 1 mile HMP, 2 mile easy total 10 miles running

For Younganne since you had your cut back week last week I want you doing last weeks plan

|Rest|6 mile easy|Session 1*|7m easy|20 min recovery|Session 2*|2 hr easy

Session 1 - 2 mile warm up, Fartlek - 1 min hard/easy, 2 min hard/easy, 3 min hard/easy, 4 min hard/easy, 3 min hard/easy, 2 min hard/ easy, 1 min hard/easy 2 mile cooldown

Hard- 5k-10k pace
    Easy - Steady-easy pace

Session 2 - 2 miles easy - 25 min @ HMP 2 mile easy

BobMac104|5|35|124.85m|1220.95| Good week 5k PB and a decent speed session on friday. No stomach issues. gaining a bit of momentum again|
    rom|||182M|1093M||
    Younganne|||66.17|571.07m||
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44|||57m|482.1m||
    Scriba |||5|253.84m||
    Emer911||||529.3|

Happy enough with the week. 5k PB (always good to PB) was welcome and shows that i am not in as bad shape as i thought. Will probably do another race this week probably a 5m. Going to focus on 5k to 10k speed sessions untill mid August. So 400's and 800's all the way. Also going to include E.colis HMP session.

BobMac104|5|35|124.85m|1220.95| Good week 5k PB and a decent speed session on friday. No stomach issues. gaining a bit of momentum again|
    rom|6|58|158|1286|Finding the heat in France hard to run it|
    Younganne|||66.17|571.07m||
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44|||57m|482.1m||
    Scriba |||5|253.84m||
    Emer911||||529.3|

rom|6|58|158|1286|Finding the heat in France hard to run it|
    Younganne|5|25.24m|91.41m|596.31m|Holidays & Stepback week so delighted to get the plan completed!!|
    red face dave ||||341||
    Nules10 ||||276.3|
    run44|||57m|482.1m||
    Scriba |||5|253.84m||
    Emer911||||529.3|

rom wrote: »

To be honest id be lost in a race without it. before a race i have an average pace that i target and do my best to hit that. I have done a couple of races where i didnt have my watch and found myself asking the odd person how we were doing.:rolleyes:

I am very much like you in that i say "if i can just hold this pace ill make it under the xx;xx mark!" the next day then ill try beat that. I know its not ideal...

Well it had to happen sometime.... my first race and no PB:(. Went out from what was a crazy crowded start and knew the legs were heavy but the effort was ok for the first mile. then it all started to slowly fall apart... miles 2 3 and 4just got slower and slower and slower. All those little voices were in flying form!
    started to come around at the 4 mile mark but at that stage i knew the pb was gone so i just kept it steady to the line. The reaction? well its actually kind of ok. I knew it was gonna come sometime, "you cant PB at every race". Thats another monkey off my back i guess. The time. 33.36 and just under 40 seconds off my best a few weeks before the cork city marathon. Still its a good workout and it will all stand to me.

ok here they come........ it was a very hilly course, i had a very hard speed session on tuesday, i think i am getting sick, my car keys were annoying me, eh i think i ate too much before hand, i definately lost around ten minutes at the start etc etc etc. I feel more like a real runner today for some reason.:pac:

anyway onwards and upwards. This dip in form is going to bring some leap forward i tell ya:P

BobMac104 wrote: »
    Well it had to happen sometime.... my first race and no PB:(. Went out from what was a crazy crowded start and knew the legs were heavy but the effort was ok for the first mile. then it all started to slowly fall apart... miles 2 3 and 4just got slower and slower and slower. All those little voices were in flying form!
    started to come around at the 4 mile mark but at that stage i knew the pb was gone so i just kept it steady to the line. The reaction? well its actually kind of ok. I knew it was gonna come sometime, "you cant PB at every race". Thats another monkey off my back i guess. The time. 33.36 and just under 40 seconds off my best a few weeks before the cork city marathon. Still its a good workout and it will all stand to me.

ok here they come........ it was a very hilly course, i had a very hard speed session on tuesday, i think i am getting sick, my car keys were annoying me, eh i think i ate too much before hand, i definately lost around ten minutes at the start etc etc etc. I feel more like a real runner today for some reason.:pac:

anyway onwards and upwards. This dip in form is going to bring some leap forward i tell ya:P

Hey Bob, don't be so hard on yourself. thats your second race in 2 weeks(I think) since the marathon about 6/7 weeks ago so in my books you are doing great.....
    Like you say you can't PB in every race and i think what you said about feeling like a real runner is the positive you should take from this race. You have come along way and your times are fantastic so head up and enjoy another great race under the belt!!!

i missed my run yesterday,:o but i was just so knackered(and busy) that i just couldn't get out the door....so instead of the 20mins recovery i will do 6m at lunchtime today...and if i can squeeze in 20min recovery later this evening i will!!!!
    why do i feel so guilty....tiredness should not be an excuse, but i had a great nights sleep and was delighted that i did listen to my body!!!!

Thanks Anne, ya i am not as dissapointed as i thought id be, as i said its kind of another thing off my back now. Also i had a great evening. There is always a great atmosphere at these races.

• Advertisement

Hi Folks

Here is this weeks plan hopefully many of you are feeling nice and refreshed

|Rest|6 mile easy|Session 1*|6m easy|20 min recovery|Session 2*|2 hr 30 min easy

Session 1 - 9 mile progression - 3 miles easy, 3 miles @ MP, 3 miles @ HMP - all continuous running

Session 2 - 2 miles easy, 6x800m with equal time recovery (jog rec) 2 miles easy

Any questions just ask

Advertisement