Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Overrated Musicians/Groups

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ally Dick wrote: »
    And rightly so. Noel Gallagher is a very contemptuous Beatles "cut and paste" merchant who is horrifically conceited, yet knocks each album after it has been released ! Liam is a poor vocalist, with no respect for his audience
    He would have been more suited to the Punk scene .

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

I love Oasis. Some of the best memorys of my life involved listening to their tunes, just having a few beers with my friends, having a good aul sing song.

Nobody claims that they were the best musicians or anything like it but they were a great accessible mainstream band, unlike the mainstream pish we have today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I love Oasis. Some of the best memorys of my life involved listening to their tunes, just having a few beers with my friends, having a good aul sing song.

Nobody claims that they were the best musicians or anything like it but they were a great accessible mainstream band, unlike the mainstream pish we have today

They are only alright, but they themselves set the bar high by saying they are the best band in Britain and up there with the Beatles, which they are clearly not. McCartney could release more melodic farts than Noel Gallagher's tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I don't think this thread turned out the way it was meant to, tbh.

It seems a lot of people on here are too thick to understand great music, which of course makes the band 'over-rated' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Oasis can never be over rated. They get a free pass for ANYTHING they did subsequent to Definitely Maybe. It was a spectacular album. I was a HUGE fan up to Be Here Now but even despite all that every time I hear a track off DM I just can't help but smile and tap along. That album is 17 years old and it still rocks.

What's the Story is also not bad. any band that has those two albums in their back catalogue not to mention the b-sides off both can not be over-rated.

Saw them live twice, still two of the best concerts I've ever been at. At the time you felt like you were part of a musical revolution. It felt rebellious, it felt like no adult would ever 'get' what you were doing there. A very happy, carefree time in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Oasis can never be over rated. They get a free pass for ANYTHING they did subsequent to Definitely Maybe. It was a spectacular album. I was a HUGE fan up to Be Here Now but even despite all that every time I hear a track off DM I just can't help but smile and tap along. That album is 17 years old and it still rocks.

In retrospect, I believe Be Here Now is a much stringer album than people give them credit for.

Sure it's horribly long and isn't as good as the revious efforts, but tunes like Stand By Me, I Hope I think i Know, Don't Go Away, Be Here Now, Better Man......... it's super!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Bipolar Joe. I don't get it, seems pretentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭anto_daly

anyting to do wit the Xfactor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

MrStuffins wrote: »
    That was me again.

Same thing happened with Muse. I was the BIGGEST Muse fan in the world. But when they started to get popular and started playing to sell-out Wembley crowds, their style changed to suit as many of those people as possible.

I used to listen to songs like Screenager and think "Wow, these lads are just making the exact music that they want". But then they shifted to making stadium athems like Starlight and stuff........... I don't blame them and it's not necessarily their fault, but it's still a shame!

Muse are one of the prime examples that there is an inverse law between popularity and quality of musical output. I miss the good old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Sharon Shannon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

They are only alright, but they themselves set the bar high by saying they are the best band in Britain and up there with the Beatles, which they are clearly not. McCartney could release more melodic farts than Noel Gallagher's tunes

Obviously I agree Oasis are nowhere near the Beatles but lets not forget some of the seriously sh1te solo stuff Mc Cartney released when he was solo!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Freddie59 wrote: »
    1. Bob Dylan.
    2. The Beatles.
    3. Oasis.

So OP, you think the Beatles and Bob Dylan were over-rated.

You haven't thought about this much, have you? What do you think you would be listening to now if it weren't for those two alone?

You think some act from the X factor is going to change the world like they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

All artists I don't like but others like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Bon Jovi - absolute rubbish. Unoriginal rawk and roll

bon jovi have never been rated , they,ve always been seen as naff , btw , one thing you always find with people who like bon jovi , they like brian adams aswell

as for my own choice of over rated bands

ac/dc = the quintesential moronic garrage band thats been rehashing the same thing for decades and the same stage routine

any of those bands that came on the scene around the early part of the last decade , you know , the likes of kings of leon , the killers , kaisier chiefs , artic monkeys , strokes etc , i like to refer to them as neo indie , they all sound the same and they all sound and look english regardless of where thier from , give me the original practioners like suede , stone roses , oasis or blur anyday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

U2, snoozeville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I think Spiritualized are a bit overrated, in particular Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space. I find that album a little bit boring, overlong and definitely not as interesting as anything Spacemen 3 released.
    irishh_bob wrote: »
    any of those bands that came on the scene around the early part of the last decade , you know , the likes of kings of leon , the killers , kaisier chiefs , artic monkeys , strokes etc , i like to refer to them as neo indie , they all sound the same and they all sound and look english regardless of where thier from , give me the original practioners like suede , stone roses , oasis or blur anyday
    The original practioners of what?? So Joy Division, Orange Juice, The Smiths, The Feelies and Felt etc weren't the pioneers of indie then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

The Boss is pub rock. Dylan never heard of a chorus. Woefully boring monotonous tunes

You've never heard of Like A Rolling Stone.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    You've never heard of Like A Rolling Stone.

Yes. And I find it monotonous. In that case, Dylan has a chorus but he beats it to death. On most of his other songs, there is no chorus e.g. Subterranean Homesick Blues, Highway Sixty One Revisited etc etc etc

irishh_bob wrote: »
    one thing you always find with people who like bon jovi , they like brian adams aswell

as for my own choice of over rated bands

ac/dc = the quintesential moronic garrage band thats been rehashing the same thing for decades and the same stage routine

I agree about Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams. If there were no women, they wouldn't have been successful. They're rock-lite for girls and fellas with no style.
    AC/DC - pub rock for lads who drink a lot. One or two good songs but have ruined them by rehashing the same stuff over and over again. It's hard to believe how big they are. "Back In Black" is the best selling album by a group EVER. I like Kaiser Chiefs as they are like the new Madness, looking for the perfect three minute pop song. Kings Of Leon do my head in. Caleb Followill's slurred vocal delivery wrecks my head. I don't like Killers at all. They peaked after their first album ! Arctic Monkeys I can take or leave. Not a fan of the lead singer Alex and the smug faces he pulls. The Strokes have failed to deliver. It was all hype really

Yes. And I find it monotonous. In that case, Dylan has a chorus but he beats it to death. On most of his other songs, there is no chorus e.g. Subterranean Homesick Blues, Highway Sixty One Revisited etc etc etc

Why does there need to be a chorus? And why are you ignoring how well-written his verses are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I agree about Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams. If there were no women, they wouldn't have been successful. They're rock-lite for girls and fellas with no style.
    AC/DC - pub rock for lads who drink a lot. One or two good songs but have ruined them by rehashing the same stuff over and over again. It's hard to believe how big they are. "Back In Black" is the best selling album by a group EVER.

huh?

I liked JBJ back in the day, but never liked Bryan Adams, ever!

Not a fan of Bruce Springsteen either - just don't see the point in his stuff, and can't get on with U2.
    AC/DC haven't made a decent album in years now, but they are a class live act and part rock history

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

U2, very boring.
    Kasabian, even more boring.
    Muse, whiny and irritating. Matt Bellamy has a godawful voice.
    Kings of Leon, insufferable singer and predicable music.
    Mumford and Sons, lazy songwriting and overuse of the same "Iiii" motif

That's all I can think of for now, but all those have landed me in hot water over the years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

Neil Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    It has to be Coldplay. I saw them live and was immensely bored. They are really, really, really bad. They make me go :(

You can't be serious, I also saw Coldplay live (just this year at Oxegen) and they were absolutely amazing. Some people I know who aren't even big Coldplay fans also admit they are great live.

For me the most overrated band of all time would have to be the Beatles. McCartney/Lennon - a good songwriting pair? Come on, how many of their acclaimed songs are more than just radio-friendly nursery rhymes?

Oasis on the other hand are a very good band. Noel Gallagher, an absolute genius songwriter. Even with his new stuff there is so much emotion and passion put into the lyrics, something I've not yet witnessed from any of the Beatles.

The Prodigy are overrated. People call these guys a rock band and Liam is the only one of them who plays instruments? The other two are just "dancers". Then again that might change if I get to see them live as some people have suggested they are much better live than on recorded material.

Mumford & Sons, all of their songs sound the same. How they are so highly praised, I don't know.

Bob Dylan, very boring and can't sing for his life. The same goes for Johnny Cash.

karaokeman wrote: »
    McCartney/Lennon - a good songwriting pair? Come on, how many of their acclaimed songs are more than just radio-friendly nursery rhymes?

Have you got ears?
    Even with his new stuff there is so much emotion and passion put into the lyrics, something I've not yet witnessed from any of the Beatles.

See above.

And who calls the Prodigy a rock band?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Cher Lloyd.

make that all "talent" shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

You can't be serious, I also saw Coldplay live (just this year at Oxegen) and they were absolutely amazing. Some people I know who aren't even big Coldplay fans also admit they are great live.

For me the most overrated band of all time would have to be the Beatles. McCartney/Lennon - a good songwriting pair? Come on, how many of their acclaimed songs are more than just radio-friendly nursery rhymes?

Oasis on the other hand are a very good band. Noel Gallagher, an absolute genius songwriter. Even with his new stuff there is so much emotion and passion put into the lyrics, something I've not yet witnessed from any of the Beatles.

The Prodigy are overrated. People call these guys a rock band and Liam is the only one of them who plays instruments? The other two are just "dancers". Then again that might change if I get to see them live as some people have suggested they are much better live than on recorded material.

Mumford & Sons, all of their songs sound the same. How they are so highly praised, I don't know.

Bob Dylan, very boring and can't sing for his life. The same goes for Johnny Cash.

From reading your post I think you're beyond help but some things I can't let pass....

If you knew anything about the Beatles you'd know that Oasis blatantly plundered all of their riffs. There would be no Oasis without the Beatles. Oasis were the Beatles for people who missed them the first time round. And as for emotion and passion in the lyrics? Noel Gallagher is probably one of the worst lyric writers ever. A six year old could do better.

I can understand you not liking Bob Dylan's voice but Johnny Cash? Johnny Cash really? A great songwriter and a great storyteller.

In conclusion: Where are your ears sir?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

lol
    Rock band? Who calls them a rock band? Are The Chemical Brothers a rock band? Or Fatboy Slim?

The difference here is that, sometimes The Prodigy will play live shows where, instead of playing records (like Fatboy Slim and The Chem Bros) that they will have a live band. I can't see how that could ever be a bad thing?

"They" consist of just one guy, Liam Howlett. He composes all the songs and then the other 2 just add a few vocals.

Anyway, you might find them overrated, that's all well and good. But if you find a band overrated because you expect them to be a rock band and they're in fact a dance/electronica/techno group, then I can understand why.

ROCK AND ROOOOOOOLLLLLLL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Neil Young.

:eek:F**k OFF!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Who calls them a rock band?:confused:

Advertisement