Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Overrated Musicians/Groups

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

ollaetta wrote: »
    Ah, come on. It would be like starting a most over rated football team with Man U and Barcelona etc. and waiting for the avalanche.

/Gets popcorn ready. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

like a trolling stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Superbus wrote: »

Seriously, let people like what they like without being all superior.

That sort of measured response will get you nowhere. In fact, the horde will smell blood. I'd recommend you retreat to your trench and prepare for some awfully predictable pettiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Freddie59 wrote: »
    2. The Beatles.

The Beatles are the best band of all time. they had 3 of the best and most successful (Paul McCartney is officially the most successful) songwriters of all time in one group.

They went from knocking out Rock and Roll covers to single-handedly popularising the idea of a concept album with St. Pepper.

They were the first pop group to make prominant use of strings on a single Yesterday (which is also THE most covered song of all time by the way). They were the first band to use feedback as a musical devise on I Feel Fine.

They influenced most of modern music. They were one of the main innovators in the advent of music video.

They were one of the only bands of their time who concentrated on writing an entire album of great songs, rather than 2 -3 hits and the rest just filler. They became the biggest band the world had ever seen. SO big in fact that they had to retire from doing live shows early in their career because nobody could hear what was going on and it was too much hassle.

They did all of this in just 7 years.

But yeah, John Lennon is an "asshole" so they're over rated :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Kings of Leon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

oh yeah The stone roses

Inbox wrote: »
    Kings of Leon

You know what's weird? For anyone who listened to KOL back in the day, it was obvious that they were by far one of the most UNDER rated bands in the world. They were one of the best bands around.

But now that they're popular, I feel that they are a little over rated now. They were better than how they were rated before. Now they're not as good as they're rated presently......... i hope that makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Vocally, I always thought Madonna and Kylie were a bit meh.

But maybe vocals don't matter in order to be a singer :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Fleetwood mac overrated ye people are sick!!:mad:
    If anything i would say they were terribly underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

The Incredible String Band. Says who? Says them!

I'd probably rate them as 'Impressive' and that's being generous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Oasis, the most boring band in the world. My bloody Valentine, oh jesus that's so clever feedback and noice I must be mad not to "get" it. who else, REM more yawny boring music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The Beatles are the best band of all time. they had 3 of the best and most successful (Paul McCartney is officially the most successful) songwriters of all time in one group.

They went from knocking out Rock and Roll covers to single-handedly popularising the idea of a concept album with St. Pepper.

They were the first pop group to make prominant use of strings on a single Yesterday (which is also THE most covered song of all time by the way). They were the first band to use feedback as a musical devise on I Feel Fine.

They influenced most of modern music. They were one of the main innovators in the advent of music video.

They were one of the only bands of their time who concentrated on writing an entire album of great songs, rather than 2 -3 hits and the rest just filler. They became the biggest band the world had ever seen. SO big in fact that they had to retire from doing live shows early in their career because nobody could hear what was going on and it was too much hassle.

They did all of this in just 7 years.

But yeah, John Lennon is an "asshole" so they're over rated :rolleyes:

And you were around to see all this happen, Mr S?:D

Outside of the Beatles (with Wings) I thought McCartney was brilliant. With that other incredible bore? Nah. If I hear fcuking Imagine one more time..........

The Beatles wouldn't have seen the light of day were it not for the true giants like Bill Haley, Chuck Berry, etc. They were THE ultimate innovators.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You know what's weird? For anyone who listened to KOL back in the day, it was obvious that they were by far one of the most UNDER rated bands in the world. They were one of the best bands around.

But now that they're popular, I feel that they are a little over rated now. They were better than how they were rated before. Now they're not as good as they're rated presently......... i hope that makes sense!

Hipster Lingo.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Pink Floyd

Tut tut tut. Bring back public floggings i say.

I agree The Velvet Underground are overrated as are Sonic Youth, The Rolling Stones and The Doors

Oh and the Happy 'effin' Mondays too.

I'm not a Hipster!!

There's another term for what i am, i'd tell you but you wouldn't have heard of it yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Mozart, like who does he think he is anyway? People just keep bigging him up, I don't get the fuss to be honest.

The doors are not over rated, you mad people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

2 good songs is not enough for greatness.

People are strange and light my fire.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    And you were around to see all this happen, Mr S?:D

Nope. It's what books and documentaries are for.
    Outside of the Beatles (with Wings) I thought McCartney was brilliant. With that other incredible bore? Nah. If I hear fcuking Imagine one more time..........

Well that's 2 guys as solo artists. A different conversation.
    The Beatles wouldn't have seen the light of day were it not for the true giants like Bill Haley, Chuck Berry, etc. They were THE ultimate innovators.

Indeed, standing on the shoulder of giants! If being influenced by the greatest artists of your time were criteria for bands to be over rated then all music would be ballocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

There's another term for what i am, i'd tell you but you wouldn't have heard of it yet!

I'm listening to a music genre that doesn't even exist yet.:cool:

• Advertisement

Red Hand wrote: »
    I'm listening to a music genre that doesn't even exist yet.:cool:

My favourite band are so new that the synth player hasn't even been BORN yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Crystal swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

what "KOL"? :confused:

hardly the enigma code...:pac:

geetar wrote: »
    what "KOL"? :confused:

hardly the enigma code...:pac:

He's right though.

All the cool kids know it's "KoL", the "o" should be lower case!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

The front man with the dodgy lyrics/poetry is fairly over rated.
    The keyboards guy who wrote all the music is under rated.

The front man with the dodgy lyrics/poetry is fairly over rated.
    The keyboards guy who wrote all the music is under rated.

That I can agree with.

woodoo wrote: »
    2 good songs is not enough for greatness.

People are strange and light my fire.

ok yeah, two good songs, good man. When they are not even their best songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Eric "oh here's another major blues box pattern" Clapton...

Possibly the most overrated (blues) guitarist ever.

I can think of about 20 other guitarists from that same era and genre who don't get near the same amount of respect as him; Rory Gallagher, Johnny Winter etc.

Gallagher and Winter are miles and miles beyond Clapton's ability.

Sure Clapton has made a mark in blues music since the Bluesbreaker days but to call him "the greatest guitarist of our time", something that many people do say, is just wrong.

Eric "oh here's another major blues box pattern" Clapton...

Possibly the most overrated (blues) guitarist ever.

I can think of about 20 other guitarists from that same era and genre who don't get near the same amount of respect as him; Rory Gallagher, Johnny Winter etc.

Gallagher and Winter are miles and miles beyond Clapton's ability.

Sure Clapton has made a mark in blues music since the Bluesbreaker days but to call him "the greatest guitarist of our time", something that many people do say, is just wrong.

Agree with you there, Gallagher is much better. I do like Eric Clapton but he is a bit boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I preferred Chuck Klosterman's idea about which bands are "rated" - the ones whose public profile is more or less exactly deserved.

Advertisement