Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Overrated Musicians/Groups

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Eric "oh here's another major blues box pattern" Clapton...

Possibly the most overrated (blues) guitarist ever.

I can think of about 20 other guitarists from that same era and genre who don't get near the same amount of respect as him; Rory Gallagher, Johnny Winter etc.

Gallagher and Winter are miles and miles beyond Clapton's ability.

Sure Clapton has made a mark in blues music since the Bluesbreaker days but to call him "the greatest guitarist of our time", something that many people do say, is just wrong.

Interviewer to Jimi Hendrix: "Jimi whats is like to be the best guitarist in the world?

Jimi Hendrix; " I would'nt know ask Rory gallagher

• Registered Users Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Interviewer to Jimi Hendrix: "Jimi whats is like to be the best guitarist in the world?

Jimi Hendrix; " I would'nt know ask Rory gallagher

He was also quoted as saying "You gotta check out this guy []. His band is []. He's the best guitar player in the universe."

Líon isteach na bearnaí...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

RichieC wrote: »
    Metallica

fin

It is a genre that obviously less people would listen to but metallica are not overrated as song writers at all, and their influence is immense.

if you listen to some of their music played on piano its just amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

red hot chili peppers

the x x (really didn't get what all the fuss was about there - at least they seem to have dissappeared recently)

doves

elbow (with the notable exception of Lippy Kids)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

The Kings of Leon.. They hurt my ears..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Green Day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Green Day

Where they even rated?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

MissMoppet wrote: »
    The Kings of Leon.. They hurt my ears..

First 2 albums were excellant IMO....after that I have no idea what happened

Oasis...not a fan but were relevant in 1995/1996 for the angsty types who were not quite suicidal enough for Smashing Pumpkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Green Day

The only people who rate them are 13yo kids and people with severe learning difficulties

1. Red Hot Chilli Peppers...I mean they are just a joke band IMO....I cannot take them serious.

2. Foo Fighters....see above.

It's music for simpletons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Nirvana
    Blur

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Nirvana
    Blur

Wrong on both accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Definitely Bob Dylan.

I saw him at the London Feis in June. Walked off to the Saw Doctors instead - great decision. He's absolutely awful now. Great songwriter, terrible terrible performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

John Doe1 wrote: »
    The only people who rate them are 13yo kids and people with severe learning difficulties

It's the cool thing to slag them off now but American Idiot is one of the best albums of the last few years. I think it's more a result of over exposure than being over rated.

Most over rated group for me are Nirvana...there were other bands playing that style of music better than Nirvand and they peaked with Nevermind. If Kurt Cobain hadn't killed himself nobody would be talking about them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It's the cool thing to slag them off now but American Idiot is one of the best albums of the last few years. I think it's more a result of over exposure than being over rated.

Most over rated group for me are Nirvana...there were other bands playing that style of music better than Nirvand and they peaked with Nevermind. If Kurt Cobain hadn't killed himself nobody would be talking about them today.

I agree with you on American Idiot and Green Day in general.

On Cobain I think he would have grown as a songwriter in the post grunge years. I liked the direction he seemed to be taking before his death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Red Hot Chilli Peppers: Playing the same song with different lyrics for the last 20 years.

I agree with you on American Idiot and Green Day in general.

On Cobain I think he would have grown as a songwriter in the post grunge years. I liked the direction he seemed to be taking before his death.

Yup! Cobain was getting progressively better as a songwriter. In Utero is the best of his/their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

flahavaj wrote: »
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers: Playing the same song with different lyrics for the last 20 years.

In fairness, it's only the last 10 or so. Every since they put out Californication everything has sounded the same though.

A decade of repetitive tunes is still too much though and they should all just get back on the heroin again i reckon.

With regards to American Idiot, i always thought it very interesting that a concept album was as well received as that was. I quite enjoyed it i must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Oasis or Bluuuuuur???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I was goin to go with Justin Beiber but it's been mentioned, so i'll go with Aslan, should have been great but ****ed it up completely

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

woodoo wrote: »
    2 good songs is not enough for greatness.

People are strange and light my fire.

Ah now, Moonlight Drive, Roadhouse Blues, Five to One just off the top of my head, far from the best band ever but there is a lot more to them than 2 songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

AC/DC..................awful just awful

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Queen..

Who am I kidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i don't mind nirvana and have all their albums but i agree they are over-rated especially this side of the pond, talking with some people you would swear they created a genre by themselves and everyone copied nevermind.... when neil young was playing similiar music decades before

pearl jams ten and vitalogy are superior to anything released by nirvana, so is soundgardens superunknown imo

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

modern submission: florance and the machine (wtf????)

Oldie submission: Status Quo

hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Prince.

Amid 40000 songs I can only find 4 decent tunes.

Nirvana...never been convinced.

The old adage that dying can be the best career move springs to mind.

I was not an angsty teenager so maybe I just don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The Beatles are the best band of all time. they had 3 of the best and most successful (Paul McCartney is officially the most successful) songwriters of all time in one group.

They went from knocking out Rock and Roll covers to single-handedly popularising the idea of a concept album with St. Pepper.

They were the first pop group to make prominant use of strings on a single Yesterday (which is also THE most covered song of all time by the way). They were the first band to use feedback as a musical devise on I Feel Fine.

They influenced most of modern music. They were one of the main innovators in the advent of music video.

They were one of the only bands of their time who concentrated on writing an entire album of great songs, rather than 2 -3 hits and the rest just filler. They became the biggest band the world had ever seen. SO big in fact that they had to retire from doing live shows early in their career because nobody could hear what was going on and it was too much hassle.

They did all of this in just 7 years.

But yeah, John Lennon is an "asshole" so they're over rated :rolleyes:

Would have thought Pet Sounds or Kinks stuff preceded Sgt P for first concept album status.

In the 60's I would say all band strived to create good albums, the filler thing came in big time in the early 90's when singles became obsolete more or less.

The Beatles are not the most overrated band ever but Sgt Pepper is possibly the most overrated album.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The Beatles are the best band of all time. they had 3 of the best and most successful (Paul McCartney is officially the most successful) songwriters of all time in one group.

They went from knocking out Rock and Roll covers to single-handedly popularising the idea of a concept album with St. Pepper.

They were the first pop group to make prominant use of strings on a single Yesterday (which is also THE most covered song of all time by the way). They were the first band to use feedback as a musical devise on I Feel Fine.

They influenced most of modern music. They were one of the main innovators in the advent of music video.

They were one of the only bands of their time who concentrated on writing an entire album of great songs, rather than 2 -3 hits and the rest just filler. They became the biggest band the world had ever seen. SO big in fact that they had to retire from doing live shows early in their career because nobody could hear what was going on and it was too much hassle.

They did all of this in just 7 years.

But yeah, John Lennon is an "asshole" so they're over rated :rolleyes:

Would have thought Pet Sounds or Kinks stuff preceded Sgt P for first concept album status.

In the 60's I would say all band strived to create good albums, the filler thing came in big time in the early 90's when singles became obsolete more or less.

The Beatles are not the most overrated band ever but Sgt Pepper is possibly the most overrated album.

I didn't say first, I said they popularized it! Concept albums date back a long way but St.Pepper was the catalyst for the influx of concept albums thereafter!

I see your point about the album being over rated. It's a great album, a truely great album. But best ever? It's not even The Beatles' best!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

The Artane Boys Band - how these chancers fill Croke Park on a regular basis defies belief.

Advertisement