Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Overrated Musicians/Groups

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

the pistols - fair enough they kicked off the uk punk scene but they folded after eighteen months and their 2nd bassist couldnt even play. they didnt have half the intelligence or message of other groups like the clash who have basically been forgotten even though they brought so much to the table in comparison to the pistols.

bob marley- how many of you have had this conversation 'hey you ever listen to reggae?" "yeah man i love bob marley like" "ever listen to the maytals or dillinger?" "who.....?" does my head in. yes he was brilliant and i love his music he's in my top five but there's so much more reggae out there if you just listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭storker

Not in order of overratedness...

1. Pink Floyd
    2. The Divine Comedy
    3. Coldplay
    4. The Beatles
    5. Any singer who performs with a backing dance troupe
    6. Boy/girl groups with the exception of those from the Motown era.
    7. Oasis

Stork

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

U2:mad:

I just cant believe how much they're NOT being mentioned on this thread! Their music is pure sh1te. The Edges "guitar style" sounds the way it does, because he just cant play! Its all single string plucking stuck into an echo machine! They've been playing the same crap 3 songs with different crap lyrics since they started! Bono is the most anti-humble, anti-sound, attention seeking gobsh1te in the music world. He'd eat sh1te and say it was for charity as long as the spotlight was on him, and he can't sing for skins! He "talks" out in a long, breathy, Dylan style, with the odd attempt at hitting high scrapey sounding notes at the end, to just about qualify their noise as a song instead of a talked-out poem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Anyone putting The Beatles down as overrated:

1) Are trying to be different/cool/interesting (you're not)
    2) Have only heard their earlier stuff, 'She Loves You' etc (which is still brilliant)
    or
    3) Have some sort of brain disease

That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I can't their their music seriously. What American state are they from, btw? They haven't taken the opportunity to tell us in about 15 songs. I wish they'd bore off with their frivolous music.

Arcade Fire: Indulgent hipster rubbish.

In fact any band that aspire to be nothing more than pretentious, elitist and 'indie' have my contempt.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Elvis.
    The Beatles.
    Oasis.
    Beyonce.
    ...And as for Cher Lloyd - PURE SCHITE!!!

St.Spodo wrote: »
    . What American state are they from, btw? They haven't taken the opportunity to tell us in about 15 songs.
    You have heard under the bridge haven't you? :confused: "the city i live in the city of angels." that should make it fairly obvious where they're from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Biggins wrote: »
    Elvis.
    The Beatles.
    Oasis.
    Beyonce.
    Anyone into music knows that - she's hardly over-rated. :)

For me it's REM. I like some sings by them, but overall, I find them really boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

bob dylan
    oasis
    rolling stones
    nirvana
    lady gaga
    rhianna

i could go on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

The Doors
    Stall The Digger
    Joan Armatrading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Dana
    Richie Kavanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

Biggins wrote: »
    Elvis.
    The Beatles.
    Oasis.
    Beyonce.

Maybe the only time in the history of the internet that cher lloyd is rated along side the beatles :confused:

I pretty certain she is not over rated as she is hardly rated at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    You have heard under the bridge haven't you? :confused: "the city i live in the city of angels." that should make it fairly obvious where they're from.

I know, Californication, Dani California, Under the Bridge, Out in L.A all refer to it. That was my(sarcastic) point!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

newmug wrote: »
    U2:mad:

The Edges "guitar style" sounds the way it does, because he just cant play! Its all single string plucking stuck into an echo machine!

There is nothing wrong with an echo machine...echo machine...echo machine...echo machine...echo machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Dudess wrote: »

For me it's REM. I like some sings by them, but overall, I find them really boring.

Some sings staywnge in ze neighbourhudt!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Surely after 10 pages somebody has said snow patrol?

Aslan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sky King wrote: »
    Coldplay.
    U2 lite.
    Freddie59 wrote: »
    I would agree with that. Unfortunately there are an awful lot of Beatles and Dylan fans who look down their noses at everyone else. ME? I'm a MUSIC fan. I thought the Stones were way better.:)
    I love the Stones. Big fan of a lot of their output, but "better" is very subjective. On the songwriting, innovation, evolution and sheer quality of output year after year for only 7 years front the Beatles were/are objectively better. Plus they did the decent thing and gave up on a high(and turned down crazy amounts of money in the 70's to reform). The Stones and many others became watered down cabaret parodies of themselves. U2 a good example of that. If they'd called it a day 15 years ago, they'd be a lot more liked and respected.

Pink Floyd I never really "got" TBH. I wouldn't say overrated. Well up to a certain point anyway. Another band who wobbled on after they had passed their best.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I honestly have no idea who Cher Lloyd is.

By the sounds of it, I should keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

There is nothing wrong with an echo machine...echo machine...echo machine...echo machine...echo machine...

Oh stop being so heinous....einous....einous....einous.

Adele.
    Yeah we get it.. He broke up with you because you are fat. Build a bridge and run across it a few times. Its the same structure for almost every song. Bores the tits off me.

Biffy Clyro.
    Syrupy bollox aimed at kids who want to be 'Alt'

Kings of Leon.
    Immense first and second albums but then they turned into a pop band.

The Coronas
    My mammy was Mary Black. Give me a record deal roysh so I can sing ****e songs about my J1er and playing songs on my guitar for the girlies at house parties... ****.

Oasis
    Im a fan but in fairness they are over rated for what they offer musically.

• Advertisement

St.Spodo wrote: »
    I know, Californication, Dani California, Under the Bridge, Out in L.A all refer to it. That was my(sarcastic) point!
    ah i see text makes sarcasm harder to spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Snow Patrol, Mumford & Sons...easy targets really.

Always felt the Rolling Stones were a bit overrated. I love Beggar's Banquet and Exile on Main Street, but a lot of their stuff is just foppy Englishmen playing ouija board with the Delta Blues masters, and the last decent album they made was in the late '70s.

The Smiths have two or three good songs, they get way too much credit. The Queen is dead is heralded as a classic, but 'Frankly Mister Shankly' is an abomination and there's several other weak tracks on there.

Elvis, after his early stuff, was sh1te. The Who, with a couple exceptional tracks aside, aren't all that great in the studio. Prince has some class tunes, but 'Sign O The Times' is not a classic album, despite the critics.

My Bloody Valentine never did it for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Useless thread.

Everyone has their own style in music, one persons "best band ever" is anothers headwrecker.

Im a big big fan of Oasis, Stone Roses, but another person might be big into dubstep or something completely different.

Yeah, never understood the MBV thing, bar the odd number by them.

W123-80's wrote: »
    Dana
    Richie Kavanagh
    Who over-rates these?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The Ramones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

White Stripes

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

1. Red Hot Chilli Peppers...I mean they are just a joke band IMO....I cannot take them serious.

2. Foo Fighters....see above.

It's music for simpletons.

Have you ever heard an album or read any lyrics?

I think you're just repeating things you've heard, making you the 'simpleton' :rolleyes:

Foo Fighters are really talented musicians. You obviously don't know a lot about music because even if they weren't your type of band you'd still admit that they have two of the best drummers in the world. I don't care if you don't like them but calling them overrated is stupid.

A pop band like Kings of Leon being treated as a proper band is what being overrated is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Arcade Fire. I'm not saying their rubbish. I actually like some of their songs but their just not as brilliant as some people say they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

The Manic Street Preachers - pseudo intellectuals playing to the gallery.

Morrisey

Advertisement