Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Overrated Musicians/Groups

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Led Zeppelin are a funny thing to me. I love bands who have channelled their style and their progressive musical stylings but I am not a fan of them. There is something so arsey about them. All amazing, jaw-droppingly brilliant musicians but I think the utter wankishness of Page and Plant infect the Led Zeppelin brand.

Also (and this is absolutely not a dig at you, Kaiser, I don't know you) any Zeppelin fan I know is practically musically retarded and wouldn't know Black Sabbath from Black Box. It seems that some people get so entranced by Zeppelin (and perhaps not without good reason) that they become utterly, utterly myopic about the vast, expansive musical landscape that is out there. Zep is their alpha and Omega.

Kaiser, I'd look forward to your opinion on this but let's not go down the road of 'your band is better than mine'. Your opinion is valid as is mine. That is the subjective nature of music.

Overblown,overwrought and prone to hysterics, I'll grant you. That sort of thing is bound to happen when you have such, as you put it 'jaw-dropping, brilliant musicians'. The thing about them is, for every Immigrant Song, there is Black Mountain Side, for every Whole Lotta Love there is a Going to California. What I always say to people who say that they don't like Zeppelin is that you haven't heard enough of them. It's easy to judge a band having only heard a few of their tracks

All Zeppelin fans I know have a wide and eclectic taste in music. I'd certainly consider them my favourite band (just pipped ahead of The Beatles), but my taste in music ranges from classical through all types of guitar music (from folk to black metal) up to dance/electronic music, definitely not musically myopic

To illustrate my point, some of Led Zep's less manic (and less well known) tracks

Led Zeppelin over rated???

Ah hear..

Led Zep IV was the greatest album of all time! OF ALL TIME!!!!

Edz87 wrote: »
    Led Zeppelin over rated???

Ah hear..

Led Zep IV was the greatest album of all time! OF ALL TIME!!!!

Actually I think that's Led Zeppelin II is their best album, IV falls down with a couple of tracks (Four Sticks, Misty Mountain Top) whereas II is rock perfection from start to finish

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Actually I think that's Led Zeppelin II is their best album, IV falls down with a couple of tracks (Four Sticks, Misty Mountain Top) whereas II is rock perfection from start to finish

IV is my personal favourite though, Battle of Evermore, Stairway, When the Levee Breaks, Black Dog....

I agree with you about the other 2 though. But I think the rest warrant it to be the best album ever. IMO obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Led Zeppelin was a glorified cover band.

You're a glorified cover band

Hit the road, Jack!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

Unbelievable :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

blink-182

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

The Beatles. Never cared for their music, always been a Stones girl.

Also Kings of Leon and anything X-factor produces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Rubbish, rubbish!

Led Zeppelin are the biggest load of crap I've been inflicted to.

Led Zep were so far ahead of their time it was unreal. Fantastic band.

the utter wankishness
    Never came across that before. Brilliant!:D

As in?

Rock and Roll at its very best!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    The Who. They died with Keith Moon.

They've come alive again more recently with Zak Starkey who Keith himself taught a fair bit to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

flahavaj wrote: »
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers: Playing the same song with different lyrics for the last 20 years.
    Right so these are the same, yeah?

The most over-rated musician ever is ****ing PRINCE. So many rave about him or get excited when he announces a concert. WHY?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭storker

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Rock and Roll at its very best!
    One of their best...and on my mental list of "perfect" tracks i.e. consistently brilliant from start to finish.

As regards the infamous Zeppelin myopia, my MP3 player also contains...
    Bruce Springsteen
    Talking Heads
    The Small Faces
    The Pogues
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Misc Motown/Stax/Atlantic soul
    Misc 60's R&B (back when R&B really was R&B and not just another word for "pop", but I digress...)
    REM
    Rolling Stones
    ...and much more

And by the way, I'm not mad about Stairway to Heaven.

Actually I'm amazed that I haven't seen Springsteen mentioned yet, as I know that for everyone who totally gets him, there's someone who totally doesn't.

Stork

Nobody Weird Like Me came out more than 20 years ago so it doesn't count. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

newmug wrote: »
    The Edges "guitar style" sounds the way it does, because he just cant play! Its all single string plucking stuck into an echo machine!

as oppose to chords :confused:
    the edge is epic, such a distinctive sound :cool:
    granted he's no hendrix, but he created a signature all of his own sound, its just shit if you are a guitarist and you have no echo pedal and want to sound just like him when performing for others :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

steve vai, utter fingerboard wankery! with no soul and about as much feel as a rock - for all the guitarists out there :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

kings of leon

snow patrol

chasing cars made me wanna walk out in front of a train..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Saila wrote: »

As opposed to chords or a decent riff. It sounds like what kids do when they first pick up a guitar, before they even know what chords are!

its just shit if you are a guitarist and you have no echo pedal and want to sound just like him when performing for others :p

Exactly! Its just sh1t. Put to an echo.

Case in point:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2BqLlVHlWA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

the edge is epic, such a distinctive sound :cool:
    granted he's no hendrix, but he created a signature all of his own sound, its just shit if you are a guitarist and you have no echo pedal and want to sound just like him when performing for others :p

Indeed. the Edge generally plays chords and two finger runs.
    Is the mark of a good guitarist one who can do technically impressive fret board wankery or one who makes a nice sound suitable to the song? The Edge is the latter.

and im not a big u2 fan..

Indeed. the Edge generally plays chords and two finger runs.
    Is the mark of a good guitarist one who can do technically impressive fret board wankery or one who makes a nice sound suitable to the song? The Edge is the latter.

and im not a big u2 fan..

You can be the best guitarist in the world and still be an appalling musician (vis Yngwie Malmsteen - sonic torture)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭greenmachine88

Rihanna, not only her music, judging by what I've read in the paper she sounds like a c**t

storker wrote: »
    One of their best...and on my mental list of "perfect" tracks i.e. consistently brilliant from start to finish.

As regards the infamous Zeppelin myopia, my MP3 player also contains...
    Bruce Springsteen
    Talking Heads
    The Small Faces
    The Pogues
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Misc Motown/Stax/Atlantic soul
    Misc 60's R&B (back when R&B really was R&B and not just another word for "pop", but I digress...)
    REM
    Rolling Stones
    ...and much more

Yep. All of those on mine as well. Plus an eclectic spectrum containing ABBA, Queen, Quo, The Stones, Thin Lizzy, Horslips, Josh Groban, Wings, Beautiful South, Moby, Rod Stewart, White Stripes, Vanessa Mae, Imelda May, and many many more. Yep, SOME people will shred them:D but I love 'em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Rush

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Billy and the bollix!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

gurramok wrote: »
    Rush
    Paging galwayrush! :pac:

I'm actually listening to Tom Sawyer right now - amazing track.

Advertisement