Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know when the christmas lights are being switched on this year?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Is it usually around the mid to end of November is it? thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

dunno if they can afford it now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Probably to coincide with the opening of the Christmas Market which is planned for the 25th November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

If it is anything to do with the council probably be delayed until easter !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I don't know about this year. But I remember last year they did them quite early - if you remember the country was in the doldrums, it was constant bad news and in the end they put the lights up early to cheer everyone up.

Is that Chrismas market coming back this year - I went once last year and never went back - overpriced tack in my humble opinion and not worth the effort. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Nothing to do with the Council anymore.
    Galway City Business Association pick up the tab. So it is basically the local owned shops that pay. The multinational chains generally don't or the pubs and restaurants in Latin Quarter don't pay either. Its a bit of a mess really. I know of a small shop in the city that paid 1000 euro last year for example. It costs around 1500 euro for one row of lights across the street.:eek: But they seem to be a bit late at it this year..... Who knows, maybe they ran out of money. Anyways, I think they are great and this year more than ever we should all spend what little money we are going to spend in locally owned shops.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

will its up to each street to sort out there own lights , and been told that the Contract is still up for grabs

latin quarter and galwaywestend put up there own lights , as it was to costly last year to done by GBA , hight st was told it was 15,000 euros for the street
    westend was told 20,000 euros and dont for get you still have to pay for the power after that

just told that it was a community effert by GWE and no one got payed , cutting the cost ... galwayswestend dot com you see the xmas light on there website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Can't wait! There' s a thread on the Christmas forum to see when each towns lights go up and sticking up photos...The London street lights look gorgeous!

Is it the norm for businesses to pay for their own street lights? Is that the way it's done in other towns?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

debenhams shoppping centre have their lights up and place decorated already was just up there - personally, I think its a bit too early. Will be avoiding bringing the kids there for the next month. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Miss Opinion

The Lights will be turned on this year on the 25th November at 6pm in Eyre Square by a special Guest............
    this will coincide with the opening of the Christmas Market and there will be treats all round with some special faces for all of the children and some beautiful music from Sean Costello and Frank Naughton........Roll on Christmas and the added beauty of Galway City Centre at this time of year.

Well done to the GCBA for all their hard work.....which should be done and paid for by Galway City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

I can exclusively reveal that the special guest is none other than Christina Aguilera, who will be accompanied by her new beau, jockey Neil Callan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

good stuff heard Callan was banging her alright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi
    When ate d Christmas lights being turned on? I'm thinking if bringing my kids in for it.
    Cheers
    Pa

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi
    When ate d Christmas lights being turned on? I'm thinking if bringing my kids in for it.
    Cheers
    Pa

I think its the end of the month, 25th I think.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Christmas lights merge

lighting_street.jpg

Advertisement