Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Focal: Proof Reading?

Options
  • 03-11-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Is it just me or has the spelling in An Focal really gone off the rails lately? As in just this issue?:confused:

The front page on Section 2 has the former Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi spelt as 'Muammar Gadafy'. Next up we have the creator of Family Guy, Seth MacFarlane spelt erroneously as 'Seth MacFarlene' repeatedly during the article. Milla Jovovich, the star of the Resident Evil films is spelt 'Milla Jovich'.

The most glaring to me was probably the headline entitled 'Footloose: Lose you yourself, or you mind'.

I enjoy reading An Focal, just proof-read next time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Reiver wrote: »
    Hey all,

Is it just me or has the spelling in An Focal really gone off the rails lately? As in just this issue?:confused:

The front page on Section 2 has the former Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi spelt as 'Muammar Gadafy'. Next up we have the creator of Family Guy, Seth MacFarlane spelt erroneously as 'Seth MacFarlene' repeatedly during the article. Milla Jovovich, the star of the Resident Evil films is spelt 'Milla Jovich'.

The most glaring to me was probably the headline entitled 'Footloose: Lose you yourself, or you mind'.

I enjoy reading An Focal, just proof-read next time!

Had this exact conversation in An Focal HQ today :D:p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

We could say Muammar Muhammad Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi if you prefer.

Its not the journalism highlydebased, I just felt it was a bit of a shock, first time I've really noticed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Reiver wrote: »
    We could say Muammar Muhammad Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi if you prefer.

Its not the journalism highlydebased, I just felt it was a bit of a shock, first time I've really noticed it!

Indeed, not something we'll have happen again in a hurry. Apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Try read the Limerick Leader so.

They should definitely learn to proof read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The Leader is nowhere near as bad as the Post (though the Chronicle tries at times). A few weeks ago, I noticed 27 corrections that needed to be made on one page of the Post. Only about ten of those were misplaced commas, although they really like their misplaced commas. Subordinate clauses are not their friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

can we try keep on topic guys, this is about an focal not other indigenous newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Yes I most certainly must agree with this. It seems like the standard has been a little below par this semester. I think we'll struggle to repeat SMEDIA success this year if i'm being honest. I also feel like there is less paper copies of an focal available. Last year you couldnt walk anywhere without picking one up, this year i nearly have to go to the SU to find a copy. Is this an intentional cut down on ''waste'' or just poor distribution?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Are you still here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Are you still here?

yeah. why? what's up? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

horsemeat wrote: »
    Is this an intentional cut down on ''waste'' or just poor distribution?

I believe it's the latter. There's always an excess number of copies in bundles around the SU. Even nearing the publish date of a new issue, there can be several hundred copies there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

horsemeat wrote: »
    yeah. why? what's up? :confused:

Sorry that was for Sid, you posted just before me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Polar Ice wrote: »
    I believe it's the latter. There's always an excess number of copies in bundles around the SU. Even nearing the publish date of a new issue, there can be several hundred copies there.

I actually used to help deliver them last year, took 2-3 hours max? Can't this year due to timetable. I did notice a few weeks back at like five o clock that someone dropped off a bunch of them in Red Raisins and thought it was a bit late in the day.

All you need is one person, I used to have a list of places to drop them off, cover nearly every building like the Schrodinger, KBS, Schuman, Arena, ERB, IWA, Health Sciences, students bars/restaurants e.t.c. It's a bit disappointing to see theres no real effort beign made this year, they seem just to be left in the SU.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bibbels

When introducing the new societies in one of the first publications they misspelled the vice- presidents surname despite the spelling being underlined, etc. when the article was submitted and the fact that they called the literary society the literacy society... perhaps one is needed.

Advertisement