Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Secondary School Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

As far as I know St Patrick's is not a feeder school for east Glendalough.

That is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that's me told :o

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sinkadinka

Anyone know when a decision will be made as to who will be patron for the new secondary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

AFAIK the end date for submissions is end of Feb but I don't know how long it will before there is a final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Nancenet70

I just wanted to add to this discussion here that if you do want to support ET
    you can still express your interest at www.wicklow2school.ie

re: the leaflet
    i agree - what a waste of taxpayer's money
    and more people that I know that received it either thought - they GOT the school based on their wording - or if you look at the wording - notice, they've changed their tune to say a lot of the same things as the ET campaign

i believe in a choice - i just wish it were a fair fight

• Advertisement

C of I website for those interested:

http://greystonessecondaryschool.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 North Wicklow Educate Together 2nd Level

The application is going in at the end of Feb and we're hoping for a decision by early summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

GAN wrote: »
    I went to a VEC and when religious class was on, I had to sit in the assembly area and read a book -- have things changed since then?

I had a look at the submissions of various interest groups to the government in regard to this, they answer that question themselves;

from VEC Schools;
    "provide ‘faith formation’ for children of all beliefs within the curriculum in belief groups – with students from families with no particular religious affiliation being provided with a module on moral development when other students are participating in denominational religious education"

as opposed to;

from Educate Together Schools;
    "Our experience is that it is impossible to provide equality to all children in the school programme, unless the faith formation element of the programme is an opt-in facility that takes place outside the compulsory school day.
    We remain very concerned that the current configuration of the Community National Schools (AKA the VEC schools) still ignores this experience and requires the compulsory registration, labelling and separation of children in schools according to the religious identity of their families. The families that seek out Educate Together schools find such an approach unacceptable...

‘Faith formation’ being a euphemism for "religious indoctrination", which a parent is entitled to either agree with, or disagree with, in regard to their own child.

homer911 wrote: »
    I know a number of children from Greystones who travel to East Glendalough school - The school recently said that if you havent got your name on the list to start in the next 11 years, then dont bother!
    However that is not the case when the child is C of I baptised, church going, and living in the catchment area; in that case there is no problem getting into the school. For those families where one parent is C of I and one is not, or those where both are protestant but not C of I, or various other permutations etc.. there is a formal and complicated gradient of preference for admission to the school.

Of course, if St Davids was oversubscribed, they would also be entitled to practice religious discrimination in the selection process.

Both VEC and Educate Together have a stated policy of no religious discrimination.

In the end, local parents of children currently in 4th class primary school or younger will decide the patron (by submitting "expressions of interest" to one or other of the three competing patrons) and that is how it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

recedite wrote: »

In the end, local parents of children currently in 4th class primary school or younger will decide the patron (by submitting "expressions of interest" to one or other of the three competing patrons) and that is how it should be.

I thought the minister made the final decision?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I had a look at the submissions of various interest groups to the government in regard to this, they answer that question themselves;

from VEC Schools;
    "provide ‘faith formation’ for children of all beliefs within the curriculum in belief groups – with students from families with no particular religious affiliation being provided with a module on moral development when other students are participating in denominational religious education"

as opposed to;

from Educate Together Schools;
    "Our experience is that it is impossible to provide equality to all children in the school programme, unless the faith formation element of the programme is an opt-in facility that takes place outside the compulsory school day.
    We remain very concerned that the current configuration of the Community National Schools (AKA the VEC schools) still ignores this experience and requires the compulsory registration, labelling and separation of children in schools according to the religious identity of their families. The families that seek out Educate Together schools find such an approach unacceptable...

‘Faith formation’ being a euphemism for "religious indoctrination", which a parent is entitled to either agree with, or disagree with, in regard to their own child.

However that is not the case when the child is C of I baptised, church going, and living in the catchment area; in that case there is no problem getting into the school. For those families where one parent is C of I and one is not, or those where both are protestant but not C of I, or various other permutations etc.. there is a formal and complicated gradient of preference for admission to the school.

Of course, if St Davids was oversubscribed, they would also be entitled to practice religious discrimination in the selection process.

Both VEC and Educate Together have a stated policy of no religious discrimination.

I really don't understand this post. I'm sorry to the poster but you are not making sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I thought the minister made the final decision?

Yes, but the decision will be entirely based on the local demand.

Yes, but the decision will be entirely based on the local demand.

Is it?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

My daughter will be going to secondary in 2020 (wow thats a hard date to get my head around). I have every intention of sending her to one of the local option. Tbh I am not really worried about which of the three gets the decision. I am sure, through local involvement, the school will be excellent and well supported. I have heard Charlesland described as the largest housing estate in Ireland, not sure if thats true but what I really don't understand is why the school is not put closer to charlesland. Perhaps a little selfish of me?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

conlof wrote: »
    My daughter will be going to secondary in 2020 (wow thats a hard date to get my head around). I have every intention of sending her to one of the local option. Tbh I am not really worried about which of the three gets the decision. I am sure, through local involvement, the school will be excellent and well supported. I have heard Charlesland described as the largest housing estate in Ireland, not sure if thats true but what I really don't understand is why the school is not put closer to charlesland. Perhaps a little selfish of me?

Its the largest private estate (with management company) I think...

Is it?

Whilst the Expressions of Interest from parents prove that the school is viable (we started our Expresions of interest list before it had been confirmed that a new second level school would be built in Greystones), the main criterion that the Minister will be using is:

'The main criterion for deciding patronage in an area where there is already at least one secondary school will be the following:

- Whether the establishment of the proposed school model will result in greater diversity and plurality of second-level school patronage and provision in the area (having regard to neighbouring areas) where there is demand for such diversity and plurality. In this context individual patron bodies from the one faith group will be regarded as representing the same school patronage type for assessing plurality.'
    taken from the Department of Education and Skills 'New arrangement for patronage of new schools' circular (Second Level section)

The patrons must also confirm various things, for example that they are willing to operate within DES policy parameters, that they are willing to accept and open special need facilities, confirmation that they are willing to enter children from the area for whom the Department has identified the need for a new school.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

On Tuesday 24th January 2012 there is a meeting to be held in St Patrick's NS, to hear about the type of secondary school that the Church of Ireland proposes for Greystones.

Learn about the ethos of the school, details of how it will be managed and how it will respond to the academic, cultural, personal and spiritual needs of your children. There will also be an opportunity to raise any questions that you may have about the school or what Church of Ireland patronage would involve. The meeting will be addressed by the Principal of East Glendalough School, as well as a representative of the Church of Ireland and some local parents who are supporting the bid.

For further information visit www.greystonessecondaryschool.com or www.facebook.com/greystonessecondaryschool.

When: Tuesday 24th January 2012 at 8.00pm
    Where: The School Hall, St, Patrick's NS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

When: Tuesday 24th January 2012 at 8.00pm
    Where: The School Hall, St, Patrick's NS

Can someone kindly give directions to this please ?
    Many Thanks

St Patricks NS is opposite St Patricks church, beside the scout hall and behind the fire station.

St Patricks NS is opposite St Patricks church, beside the scout hall and behind the fire station.

Super, thanks Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lisa 333

Any one know when and where you can put your childs name down for the new secondary school in greystones ................ Please!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

The Department of Education haven't decided which type of school it will be yet. Once they do I'm sure the patron (either Church of Ireland, Educate Together or the VEC) will publicise how, when and where you can apply.

And here's the Educate Together one :Dwww.wicklow2school.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't think there's any point putting your name down on either of those sites at this stage - they're just expressions of interest and the decision on who gets to run the new school is already in progress (its supposed to be announced quite soon IIRC).

loyatemu wrote: »
    I don't think there's any point putting your name down on either of those sites at this stage - they're just expressions of interest and the decision on who gets to run the new school is already in progress (its supposed to be announced quite soon IIRC).

The ET site has shut down it's expression of interest form but if you email them they'll add you to the list of contacts for updates. It won't make a difference to the application but just means that those on the list will have up to date accurate information. I'm assuming the other patrons do this too, so it doesn't really matter whose list you go on.

It would mean that you could find out about enrolling etc easily. The sites also provide info to those who may not be aware of the differences between all the applicants.

mirekb wrote: »
    The ET site has shut down it's expression of interest form but if you email them they'll add you to the list of contacts for updates. It won't make a difference to the application but just means that those on the list will have up to date accurate information. I'm assuming the other patrons do this too, so it doesn't really matter whose list you go on.

It would mean that you could find out about enrolling etc easily. The sites also provide info to those who may not be aware of the differences between all the applicants.

Sure but at this stage noone really needs a lot of the information anymore because the Dept of Education will make a decision.

Terry Pratchet

Sure but at this stage noone really needs a lot of the information anymore because the Dept of Education will make a decision.

True - and all the info is further up the thread anyway.. but it still helps you get the news straight away if you're on a mailing list..

Wish the decision was a bit quicker though:rolleyes:

anyone know when we're going to find out who#s running the new school?

We believe that we will find out early next week:)

• Advertisement

Simon Harris announced that Church of Ireland have won the patronage ... apparently leaked early. I can't find the link to it now. He must have withdrawn it.

Advertisement