Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iceland in carlow

Options
  • 04-11-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭

i heard they are now recruiting for iceland opening in Carlow, does anyone know where iceland is opening?

more choice and more competition it's all good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I agree about the more choice and competition , but sadly I have tasted what Iceland has to offer and honestly it's terrible. The food all tastes, looks and feels cheap. They do have branded items also and I think have staple items like milk and such.
    I just personally have a bad feeling about all these non irish companies coming in and cashing in on the recession with their cheap products that are nutritionally sub-standard.
    My work brings me to many food producers and manufacturers so I have seen first hand what goes into a lot of what is sold in many supermarkets and honestly I have started to try to eat more organic and wholesome homegrown foods whenever possible because of what I see.
    P Boucher Hayes touches on some of these points the other night, this is worth watching.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1119758

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

From the Iceland Ireland Facebook page.
    we are opening in Carlow: Rosslare Road, Carlow, on Thursday 24th November at 10am - we look forward to welcoming you then!!!
    http://www.facebook.com/icelandfoodsireland?sk=wall

I assume that its going to be where FM Autos is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

kwalshe wrote: »
    I agree about the more choice and competition , but sadly I have tasted what Iceland has to offer and honestly it's terrible. The food all tastes, looks and feels cheap. They do have branded items also and I think have staple items like milk and such.
    I just personally have a bad feeling about all these non irish companies coming in and cashing in on the recession with their cheap products that are nutritionally sub-standard.
    My work brings me to many food producers and manufacturers so I have seen first hand what goes into a lot of what is sold in many supermarkets and honestly I have started to try to eat more organic and wholesome homegrown foods whenever possible because of what I see.
    P Boucher Hayes touches on some of these points the other night, this is worth watching.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1119758

have never eaten anything from them before, I will go have a nosey though when it opens and have a look.
    super-rush wrote: »
    From the Iceland Ireland Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/icelandfoodsireland?sk=wall

I assume that its going to be where FM Autos is.

googled but never thought of facebook. thanks my good man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Out at FM Autocentre? That's not a very good location is it!

ottostreet wrote: »
    Out at FM Autocentre? That's not a very good location is it!

For anyone without a car its not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Used to travel to Newry regularly a couple years back and Iceland was always the last stop before home. We filled the freezer every time for relatively small money.

Granted, as previous posts have said, they're not the best quality, but is brilliant for families on a tight budget.

I'm delighted they're opening in CW.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

They are moving into Brennan motors (opposite lidl) on the tullow road. So car isn't necessary! Good news :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

alproctor wrote: »
    Used to travel to Newry regularly a couple years back and Iceland was always the last stop before home. We filled the freezer every time for relatively small money.

Granted, as previous posts have said, they're not the best quality, but is brilliant for families on a tight budget.

I'm delighted they're opening in CW.
    People are better off spending a little more for less and getting better quality food which will be much more nutritious than some of the muck being sold by stores like iceland.

Even the frozen foods in Aldi and Lidl are of reasonable quality compared to the chicken nugget crap that some people buy in bulk to save a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Haven't been in an Iceland for 15 years - I remember the food being junk though. I will go in for a look - not too excited about it though.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    People are better off spending a little more for less and getting better quality food which will be much more nutritious than some of the muck being sold by stores like iceland.

Even the frozen foods in Aldi and Lidl are of reasonable quality compared to the chicken nugget crap that some people buy in bulk to save a few quid.

I will be one of those 'some people'.

'Some people', (possibly the majority of people that will use Iceland) are forced to compromise on quality to be able to put food on the table. And I for one will make no apologies for it, or be in any way embarrassed about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I will be one of those 'some people'.

'Some people', (possibly the majority of people that will use Iceland) are forced to compromise on quality to be able to put food on the table. And I for one will make no apologies for it, or be in any way embarrassed about it.
    Members of my own family are also some of the same "some people", it was not a criticism of anyone's shopping habits but just saying that there is better more wholesome food available for roughly the same money from the current Aldi and Lidl stores around the country.

Processed foods tend to be worst for being low in nutritional value so chicken nuggets and boxes of chicken burgers and fish fingers etc tend to be made up of what the British call reclaimed meat. these foods are not much cheaper than the next quality level but the slightly dearer foods are far for you.

If children are given what they want to eat they will live on chips and other processed "meat mush" covered in bread crumbs or batter to hide its true appearence, if potatoes and fresh vegetables or pasta are cooked with real meat or full chickens or full breaded fish etc it can work out cheaper than the processed muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Nothing about the jobs it will create for that area? Last time I checked people were free to chose how to spend their own money. Seems a bit rich to come onto a thread and start lecturing people about where to shop. Should we go and start protesting outside all the chip shops in town for blocking the artery's of our good folk?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Nothing about the jobs it will create for that area? Last time I checked people were free to chose how to spend their own money. Seems a bit rich to come onto a thread and start lecturing people about where to shop. Should we go and start protesting outside all the chip shops in town for blocking the artery's of our good folk?
    It has been proven that for every 1 job a big chain like this creates,they cause the loss of 1.5 of a job locally. Can't see Iceland supporting Carlow producers to any extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

....just as I can't see any of those producers creating any jobs in this area of the town. If you know the area, you would also be aware that there are not a lot of job opportunities in it for young people. Hopefully they will employ people from the locality and it will have a positive knock on effect. Or maybe it is better to be ideological, keep people on the dole and allow them to only buy Irish, even if it means they have to go without food most of the week. The bottom line is big business exists and ideology alone won't take people off dole queues.

they cause the loss of 1.5 of a job locally.

Any Link for this stat?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

thought so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi Guys

Lets keep this on topic and relevant to Carlow, There is a specific forum that you can use if you want to debate the nutritional benefits (or lack of) of the iceland food products @ Nutrition & Diet and in regards the jobs debate about multinational companies in a local environment there are numerous avenues to discuss that under the biz forum

Regards
    Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Great to have another choice of supermarket with Iceland coming to Carlow and only a short hop over from Lidl. I like their frozen fish and a lot of their stuff has no additives. Can't see anything wrong with more choice and competition. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭jojo86

Hi guys regarding Iceland. I got offered a job with them-yeah- problem is i applied for full time but have been told that contract offers a minimum of ten hours and they offer no guarantee regarding hours. I worry because I'm not in a position to mess around with work. I need 40 hours full time and had assumed that's what I'd get. Everyone is in the same boat and when I spoke to them I was told today that your hours depend upon how well the store does. So I imagine for the first week it'll be crazy and after that, what? I get 10 hours, 80quid? And pay insurance, tax, NCT, rent, Internet etc etc??? Advice please what would any of you do? I'm sick of social welfare, desperate for a job, I appreciate being offered one but I wish there was security.
    I do appreciate being offered work, I'm know its hard to get but I'm trying to get money for a Post Grad course so I can continue my education and get a career. Even if I was told I'd only ever get 10 hours, 15,20,40 whatever, I'd be happy if I could just know for definite. Does anyone have experience of working in this kind of environment and how did it work out for you??

• Advertisement

Take it - work your ass off, and make yourself invaluable to them - they'll keep on the best if they do have to let anyone go.....

Anyway, afaik you can sign for the days you dont work if you work 3 or less days.

Good luck with it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

I fully understand where previous posters say they will shop in Iceland in order to be able to put food on the table but saying local producers dont provide jobs for locals is hyprocritical, if people keep buying imported products instead of native ones then the local producers will not to be in a position to employ people, the same goes for prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

Take it - work your ass off, and make yourself invaluable to them - they'll keep on the best if they do have to let anyone go.....

Anyway, afaik you can sign for the days you dont work if you work 3 or less days.

Good luck with it.....

AFAIK you are right about working 3 days or less you can get social welfare for the days not worked but if you worked 10 hours spread over 4/5 days then you would'nt get anything from social welfare. I have been told by folks that work for another major supermarket in the town that they (supermarket) spread their hours, which are low, over a number of days so the employees cannot claim social.

Bagenal wrote: »
    AFAIK you are right about working 3 days or less you can get social welfare for the days not worked but if you worked 10 hours spread over 4/5 days then you would'nt get anything from social welfare. I have been told by folks that work for another major supermarket in the town that they (supermarket) spread their hours, which are low, over a number of days so the employees cannot claim social.

Probably best for jojo86 to visit the SW office so, it would definitely pay to be fully informed!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone been in here yet? Any decent bargains?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone been in here yet? Any decent bargains?

Did you read the third post?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Did you read the third post?

Yes I read the whole thread but obviously made a MISTAKE.

Thanks very much for your friendly help;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

anybody been in the new store today yet?

Also does anybody know what's the story is with the 99c store opening beside it? it is part of Iceland also?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

tommycahir wrote: »
    anybody been in the new store today yet?
    I made the mistake of heading over at 11. I had to queue, it was mayhem! I couldn't move around the aisles, so gave up at aisle #2. My advice is leave it for a week! They weren't giving out any freebies either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

ye i was there, mayhem is an understatement. they gave the first 20 vouchers, then the following got some tea/coffee and sandbos. staff offered kids lollys n juice to people with kids in que. very surprised some one didnt start a fight when some undesirables skipped the que, and also that they"re wasnt any car accidents, it was mad, cars parked everywhere. got to feel sad for locals beside it in carrig rua. the 99c shop could be linked, it has they same color scheme etc, some good offers in there too. surprised iceland didnt branch into that space, seems a bit small where they are.

Advertisement