Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iceland in carlow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

So, own up, who broke in and robbed it last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

NO WAYYYYYY

Really? Tell us what you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

ah here! not even a day open !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I was late for work yesterday because of the queue of traffic. I really fail to see the excitement.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

Twas me what robbed it. I'm defrosting the money at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 MissOphelia

80,000 taken? Seriously would that kind of money be left on the premises overnight??

I don't know how they got planning permission with so few carparking spaces and the fact that traffice is usually built up along there anyway.

So many empty units all over the place and they squash it in there a few yards away from a residential area. Well done Carlow planning dept on another fine mess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

ye its crazy that theyd get that little space, i thought iceland was supposed to be a big uk brand, why didnt they just move into them units beside ken blacks on wexford rd, huge spacage and parking. also very idiotic that they left that amount of money overnight, in such poor secuirty settings, i know this cos ive a good pal working there. crazy stuff i was told, in relation to what i was told about the cash handling/secuirty.:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jastock

It wasn't €80,000.
    They didn't need planning as the place was already zoned as commercial/retail.
    99c Store is owned by the same people that own the Iceland Ireland franchise.
    They are an Irish based company.
    Even in the UK the stores are about the same size as the one in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

80,000 taken?

I don't know how they got planning permission with so few carparking spaces and the fact that traffice is usually built up along there anyway.

So many empty units all over the place and they squash it in there a few yards away from a residential area. Well done Carlow planning dept on another fine mess

I'm no fan of the planning department of Carlow Council but I'm sure the store will be big enough & the parking ample once the newness wears off.

Bagenal wrote: »
    I'm no fan of the planning department of Carlow Council but I'm sure the store will be big enough & the parking ample once the newness wears off.

Its not the size of the store thats an issue its the lack of parking spaces and access for deliveries.
    Never mind.. the council will sort everything out with a nice roundabout :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Its not the size of the store thats an issue its the lack of parking spaces and access for deliveries.
    Could say the same about Fairgreen every Easter, Halloween, Christmas and most wet Saturdays.

Wait till the novelty and the Christmas rush wears off. Was the same story with the business across the road but it settled down.

Wasn't the L&N on that site years ago (20+), can anyone recall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

oh yes a nice roundabout which wont ever lead to an accident like every other zebra crossing and roundabout in the town, where any driver who is diligent and stops (like they're meant to) at red lights etc get blared out of it by gob****es who just wanna jump lights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I went up to have a look in it today and it was jammed..
    wasnt exactly blown away by the food, although if you were having
    people over i can see the attraction to the platters available.

I wouldnt eat a lot of it because my idea of a burger cooked in 1 min
    30 secs isnt exactly inviting.. but like a few already said on here the
    novelty will wear off soon enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I am just wonding if it was in fact robbed ? or was it just a rumour ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

slimjimmc wrote: »

lol after reading your reply to my request for a printer for leaflets in the carlow area and now this, I agree, based on your extensive research which I clearly missed it would seem it was in fact the case, then again I ... lets take this to PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

OK so i had my first meal from Iceland Carlow yesterday - Sweet and sour chicken (breast pieces, not processed), with Oven cooked french fries - was rather nice.....

Will be getting it again! - 1.5kg fries for €3, chicken and sauce was cheap too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

got a weird satay noodle thing form there today! was not nice!

but the spring rolls and garlic bread are lovely! not bad for 2.50 in total!

its cheap enough in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

Paid it a visit , its basically the English lidl with some recognisable brands.
    I don't eat processed frozen food so it didn't offer me much choice although I did find some red leicester so that was a bonus. Altogether it's not that much cheaper than Tesco , so for the time being I'' stick to the combo of Tesco/Aldi for my shopping.

*edit*

The parking situation up there is a joke , on the other hand that little African store that sells all the wigs etc has fantastic bargains on rice and loads of spices - 10kg jasmine rice €9

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Bagenal wrote: »
    AFAIK you are right about working 3 days or less you can get social welfare for the days not worked but if you worked 10 hours spread over 4/5 days then you would'nt get anything from social welfare. I have been told by folks that work for another major supermarket in the town that they (supermarket) spread their hours, which are low, over a number of days so the employees cannot claim social.

I KNOW OF THIS HAPPENING IN TWO RETAIL SHOPS.
    GIVING THEM 4 HOUR WORK DAYS.
    SO THEY GET NOTHING THEN FROM SOCIAL.
    UNLESS YOU HAVE A FULL DAY OFF

• Advertisement

A protest was held outside it last Friday evening, gardai were there, anyone hear anything about that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

The food is not all that. All frozen English crap ~ & parking is a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

my gf just come back from there i like the way they display the £ on every thing then when you get to the check out you end up paying 1.50euro for every pound and why do they display the pound sigh on everything as its all english crap and they are conning the public by doing this and some thing sould be done about it.

patwicklow wrote: »
    my gf just come back from there i like the way they display the £ on every thing then when you get to the check out you end up paying 1.50euro for every pound and why do they display the pound sigh on everything as its all english crap and they are conning the public by doing this and some thing sould be done about it.

By law prices must be displayed in Euro, multi-currency pricing is allowed but the Euro price must be at least equally prominent. If this is not the case then you have grounds for complaint. There are a number of things you can do about it, for example:
    complain to the store manager
    complain to the National Consumer Agency
    complain to the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland

Please come back and let us know how you got on. :)

The packaging is all STG£ branded, but everything in the shop is priced in Euro, either on the product itself or on pricing labels on the shelving.

Tell your GF that both prices are adequately displayed. The sterling is on the actual item and the euro price is displayed clearly on the shelf where the item is
    alproctor wrote: »
    The packaging is all STG£ branded, but everything in the shop is priced in Euro, either on the product itself or on pricing labels on the shelving.
    +1

Well still paying over the odds exchange rate wise! and both prices sould be on the item not the shelf! well we wont be shopping there again. better off paying the extra and buying irish.

Well still paying over the odds exchange rate wise! and both prices sould be on the item not the shelf! well we wont be shopping there again. better off paying the extra and buying irish.

changing the packaging simply for the irish market would put more cost on the manufacturers which would most likely result in an increase in price to cover the extra cost. Hardly gonna hurt you to look at the shelf the product is on

jpcarlow wrote: »
    changing the packaging simply for the irish market would put more cost on the manufacturers which would most likely result in an increase in price to cover the extra cost. Hardly gonna hurt you to look at the shelf the product is on

Yes but A english pound is not = one euro and fifty cents so its a con end of,
    were in the 26 counties why do we have to look at pound being displayed any way.

• Advertisement

jpcarlow wrote: »

Yes but A english pound is not = one euro and fifty cents so its a con end of,
    were in the 26 counties why do we have to look at pound being displayed any way.

So don't go in if you don't want to see a pound sign. Wouldn't go to Tesco, heatons, sportsworld, Penneys either in that case.
    :)

Advertisement