Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iceland in carlow

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

patwicklow wrote: »
    Yes but A english pound is not = one euro and fifty cents so its a con end of,
    were in the 26 counties why do we have to look at pound being displayed any way.
    well currency rates change everyday so you could hardly expect them to continually change it in accordance with that day's exchange rate...it isn't amazon

Because it's all from the one manufacturer and it's an english company. No one's making you look at the Pound, you already know the euro is on the shelf so no one is holding a gun to your head making you look at the Sterling

it's like looking at the "directions for use" on any cleaning product and being upset that they give them in more than one language. Pointless creating of your own misery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

alproctor wrote: »
    So don't go in if you don't want to see a pound sign. Wouldn't go to Tesco, heatons, sportsworld, Penneys either in that case.
    :)

Yeah thats the problem with this country its getting to be just one big uk high street put some folk are just blinkered and go with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Yes but A english pound is not = one euro and fifty cents so its a con end of

The Euro price you see is not claimed to be a direct conversion, so it's not a con; it's simply the price the retailer anticipates the market here will bear.
    Ireland is a different market to the UK, as is France, China or elsewhere; the point being that different markets tolerate different price levels. Every retailer's (foreign and local) main objective is to sell at the highest profit they can obtain. If people don't buy at that price then either the price will be dropped or the product withdrawn from the market. The €-£ price just highlights that difference, but that doesn't mean it's a con.
    were in the 26 counties why do we have to look at pound being displayed any way.
    For the same reason we see US newspapers and magazines priced in US$, with a € sticker off to one side. The product was priced in the country of origin (UK/US) then imported to here. There is no requirement to remove or obscure the original currency so long as the local currency is prominent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd prefer not to have the sterling sign covered, gives you an idea how much you are being ripped off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Visited iceland last week, the layout reminded me aldi for some reason . Tbh I saw very little difference between it and tesco pricewise but trying to park was a nightmare. That little slip road on the mt leinster side is an accident waiting to happen imo.

Was able to top up my freezer cheap enough and they have some very belt stretching desserts that I must try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

So don't go in if you don't want to see a pound sign. Wouldn't go to Tesco, heatons, sportsworld, Penneys either in that case.
    :)

Yeah thats the problem with this country its getting to be just one big uk high street put some folk are just blinkered and go with it

Jeez it's hardly a problem. What's blinkered about looking for the best deal for you and your family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

£1 = €1.17 OR €1 = 83p ;) Not £1 = €1.50 :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

SIX PACK wrote: »

Minimum wage Ireland - €8.65
    Minimum wage UK - £6.08 ~= €7.11

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

SIX PACK wrote: »

It's a shop, my man, not a bureau de change.

It's a shop, my man, not a bureau de change.
    Well its still a rip off think before you buy the cheap crap. Think irish jobs not german or english and it will be a better country all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Well its still a rip off think before you buy the cheap crap. Think irish jobs not german or english and it will be a better country all round.

Are Iceland not creating jobs? And 90% of the people working there are Irish.

On the note of the 1 pound to 1.50 euros, is our vat not 5% more than uk? Plus importing cost etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cherrybomb

Hi everyone

I dont often post but .......................... (lol)

I have worked for a UK company for the past 3 years, My previous employer for 6 years was also a UK company. Just because the company is english doesnt mean the job is not Irish!!

I think Iceland should be congratulated for employing people in this country I love the likes of Superquinn food but unfortunetly I cant afford to shop there all the time

Cherrybomb wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I dont often post but .......................... (lol)

I have worked for a UK company for the past 3 years, My previous employer for 6 years was also a UK company. Just because the company is english doesnt mean the job is not Irish!!

I think Iceland should be congratulated for employing people in this country I love the likes of Superquinn food but unfortunetly I cant afford to shop there all the time

Well fair play to you for giving your point of view across i guess i have to admit im in the wrong abit and did,nt see the full picture...ok hands up then:o

• Registered Users Posts: 16 waytoowarm

I'd prefer not to have the sterling sign covered, gives you an idea how much you are being ripped off!!

agree totally

Advertisement