Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Pitches in Cork

Options
  • 04-11-2011 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I can count 36 that I have played on - Ballincollig, Ballydesmond, Ballyvourney, Banteer, Blarney, Boherbue, Buttevant, Carrigadrohid (Canovee), Castlemagner, Castletownkinneigh (Diarmuid O'Mathunas), Clonakilty, Cloughduv, Cullen, Doneraile, Donoughmore, Dromtariffe, Dunmanway (Dohenys), Inchigeela (Iveleary), Kanturk, Kilmurry, Kilmichael, Kiskeam, Kinsale, Knocknagree, Lismire, Macroom (2 pitches), Mallow (2 pitches), Midleton, Millstreet, Nemo Rangers, Newmarket, Ovens (Eire Og), Rockchapel and Youghal. I think that Ballincollig, Ballyvourney, Buttevant, Clonakilty, Kilmurry, Mallow, Midleton, Nemo Rangers and Ovens are the best. What do ye think yourselves? How many have ye played on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

There's also Freemount ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭IRA 1916

Cork_girl wrote: »
    There's also Freemount ;)

I haven't played there :) sure Freemount is a hole anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

IRA 1916 wrote: »
    I haven't played there :) sure Freemount is a hole anyway :)

Watch it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Posting this on behalf of my brother.... he's counting 77 pitches he's played on in Cork and reckons there are a few more to add.

He says you have a few games to play yet!!! I don't have the type out the list of names do I?

CeannRua wrote: »
    Posting this on behalf of my brother.... he's counting 77 pitches he's played on in Cork and reckons there are a few more to add.

He says you have a few games to play yet!!! I don't have the type out the list of names do I?

Im only 18 yet so ill get there. Are ye from the city?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Nope, not from the city. I did mean to say he's around a bit longer than you all right... Come back in 10 years maybe! And give poor Freemount a chance, it will be one for the list...

Nope, not from the city. I did mean to say he's around a bit longer than you all right... Come back in 10 years maybe! And give poor Freemount a chance, it will be one for the list...

Where are ye from? Im guessing from a fairly successful club that would play all around the county? I've only played mostly in Duhallow and Muskerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Where are ye from? Im guessing from a fairly successful club that would play all around the county? I've only played mostly in Duhallow and Muskerry
    New or old pitch in Cloughduv?

silly wrote: »
    New or old pitch in Cloughduv?

Old. Been a sub at the new one but never played there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

pairc ui chaoimh ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

I think that Ballincollig, Ballyvourney, Buttevant, Clonakilty, Kilmurry, Mallow, Midleton, Nemo Rangers and Ovens are the best. What do ye think yourselves? How many have ye played on?

I played in Ballincollig yesterday and the pitch was in very bad condition tbh (I suppose ya cant blame em really after this weather, I've found that Ballyvourney isnt kept very well. The grass is usually about a foot high when I play there. The rest are all good surfaces in fairness.

Digits wrote: »
    I played in Ballincollig yesterday and the pitch was in very bad condition tbh (I suppose ya cant blame em really after this weather, I've found that Ballyvourney isnt kept very well. The grass is usually about a foot high when I play there. The rest are all good surfaces in fairness.

Which pitch in Ballyvourney? The one with no dressing rooms? Twas for a schools match i played there

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Digits wrote: »

That pitch is being used the whole year round, not surprised that the condition of it is bad!

Think I've played on about 20, I'd have to go through the map to see :o - but have been to quite a number more in an official capacity, either refereeing or coaching

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭patdshaker

Kilmurry is grand since they sorted out the pitch but ffs its dug into the side of the hill they should of put it in Lissarda or Crookstown (Vintage field-what a class pitch no bumps used to be used for soccer)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

IIRC the Walls gave the ground to the club in Kilmurry, or sold it fairly cheaply to them which might explain its location. The club is also managed by the farming hierarchy in the parish so I'd say Crookstown was never going to be an option there!

That said, there's only one house in the whole parish whose address is Kilmurry.

IIRC the Walls gave the ground to the club in Kilmurry, or sold it fairly cheaply to them which might explain its location. The club is also managed by the farming hierarchy in the parish so I'd say Crookstown was never going to be an option there!

That said, there's only one house in the whole parish whose address is Kilmurry.

I know ya they wanted to keep it close to the village but they could have always put it up near Hartnetts its on the top of the hill and some bit flat its the same story with Crookstown only 1 house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

patdshaker wrote: »
    I know ya they wanted to keep it close to the village but they could have always put it up near Hartnetts its on the top of the hill and some bit flat its the same story with Crookstown only 1 house

All of Hartnett's is fairly high and any breeze would be a gale up there. Would have been better used as a pitch now though, he sold it for development for a fair whack of money and it'll never happen I'd say.

What's the house in Crookstown? I'll venture a guess at Harte's?

All of Hartnett's is fairly high and any breeze would be a gale up there. Would have been better used as a pitch now though, he sold it for development for a fair whack of money and it'll never happen I'd say.

What's the house in Crookstown? I'll venture a guess at Harte's?

Its the old abandoned one up the bandon line

Re Mods: I know off topic sorry :o

Advertisement