Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Graduate Work Visa??

Options
  • 04-11-2011 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi I have recently started to think about going on a graduate 12 month working visa to New York. I was wondering if I am eligible? I completed a masters just last month but the only problem is the I studied the masters in the University of Manchester, while my undergraduate program was in Galway. I would intend to travel in June or July of next year. I think it maybe be a problem that i studied my MSc in the UK Does anyone have any idea is i was eligible for the 12 month working graduate visa what i would to do get around this if at all possible???

Thanks if you can give me any tips!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AnnaNolan

Hi I just found your post and although its a year old I was wondering if you could give me an update on how you got on and if you were elligible for the graduate visa? I just graduated from DIT and I have my visa booked for the start of November and Im also going to New York. Just wondering if you have any tips for me? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Hey Anna,

Im headin to NYC in november as well on the graduate program.

What part you going to, have you had any luck with accomodation or jobs?

Hey! No way! That's cool, I actually have no idea where I'm going to live just yet, I've been looking on craigslist and the cheapest areas are in Brooklyn etc. I don't (obviously) want to live in any ghettos etc but I do want somewhere reasonable. I'm going to try get jobs in music production etc/marketing/pr because these are all related to my course that I just graduated in. Im glad that with our visa we can travel anywhere within the U.S. during the year so I might not end up staying the full 12 months in NYC. I'll see when I get out there though you know. What's your story? When exactly are you off? Im heading out the 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Hey, I'm thinking of heading around 20th november, havent the flights booked yet. I have to book my sevis fee today and organise the embassy interview. Just wondering, from booking the embassy fee, roughly how long was it before you had your passport back and available to fly.

Probably going to live in Woodlawn, meant to be a nice enough place and I have a friend out there as well so I'll start there at least

Getting a job is the next obstacle!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭hoggy87

delaney001 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm thinking of heading around 20th november, havent the flights booked yet. I have to book my sevis fee today and organise the embassy interview. Just wondering, from booking the embassy fee, roughly how long was it before you had your passport back and available to fly.

Probably going to live in Woodlawn, meant to be a nice enough place and I have a friend out there as well so I'll start there at least

I'm not entirely sure what you mean but:

I've done it with the IIC. As soon as I got my DS-2019 information, I paid the SEVIS and filled out the Embassy Application / DS-160. You can get an interview 3 days from when you ring to book the interview at the moment. I had my embassy interview on Friday and I received my passport back yesterday. I leave, for Chicago, in 9 days. You are able to fly up to 30 days before the start date of your visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone could let me know what sort of things they asked you at the embassy. I've got my interview on the 6th of November and, all going well, I'm going to head over in December. I have a pretty solid plan in place with regards getting a job and have somewhere sorted to stay. I've a bit of money saved from working too so should be alright on that front. Did they ask for evidence that you've something to come back to. That's the only thing I don't have that I can think of. Basically just wanted to know what to be prepared for. Any advice is much appreciated.

delaney001 wrote: »

Well I'm going with usit, you know the Dublin company, it's just over I Connell bridge. I booked everything together with them because I'm going on a graduate visa. I just graduated there a few weeks back and just wanted to do it. It costs an arm
    and a leg though I was expecting to pay about half of what it actually ended up costing but I got my flights, insurance, sevis fee, the price of the visa and a us sim card all included in the package. I'm not sure if this same package would be something that you would want to go with too? I'm kind of worried though as I just noticed one of my letters says I have to bring a bank draft to pay for the embassy interview, which I thought was already paid in the package, I suppose I'll see in a whole because I'm just on my way up to mine now.
    I hope they'll have my stuff back to me in a week because I'm heading off in less than two! Yeah a job now and accommodation next and I suppose I'll be sorted haha!

Jarrod wrote: »
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone could let me know what sort of things they asked you at the embassy. I've got my interview on the 6th of November and, all going well, I'm going to head over in December. I have a pretty solid plan in place with regards getting a job and have somewhere sorted to stay. I've a bit of money saved from working too so should be alright on that front. Did they ask for evidence that you've something to come back to. That's the only thing I don't have that I can think of. Basically just wanted to know what to be prepared for. Any advice is much appreciated.

Jesus I'm in the same predicament, I'm literally on the train up to my interview now and haven't a clue what they'll ask! Like I have a plan too regards work and I've looked up places to stay but not made anything set in stone just yet. Nervous enough, forgot to get the express post envelope too so have to get to the gpo before heading out to the embassy! I'll let you know what kind of stuff they asked me later when I'm done and hopefully it'll help you out

Thanks for the reply Anna.

Hope it all went well for you. If you could let me know how you got on and what sort of stuff they asked I'd really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 amymariac

I've been in the US on this visa for three weeks. the interview is fine really. best thing you can do is be really prepared, like have all your documents and stuff. you need proof you're going to come back, i.e. a job offer or a letter stating you're going back to college. in terms of what they ask you, it's just like - what did you do in college, where did you go, where are you planning on going in the US, what kind of job are you going to get. that's all I got asked.
    hope it goes well! I'm in LA, if you get out here it would be cool to see someone from home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 LT365

Hi Guys, just seen your posts and would really appreciate some advise. I am considering applying for this Visa aswell and hope to travel to America in February 2013. I got a quote off USIT for the Visa and they have come with a price of €2300 for the visa and flights, is this how much you guys paid for your visas? I'm concerned that if for any reason I don't get the Visa that I will loose all the money I have paid over to USIT. Can I assume that once I'm eligible for the Visa that I'll get it? I'm planning on going to Chicago cause I have a brother there so i'll have somewhere to stay. I've just finished my training as a Solicitor so will have to find work in the area of Law. Did you all have jobs secured in America before you left Ireland? I'd appreciate any advise anyone can give me.

Thanks for the advice Amy, I'm doing the interview next week so fingers crossed. Could you clarify something for me? Should I have the DS7002 form already or do I get it in the US. It's the internship plan form, I'm pretty sure you need it once you have a job but can you confirm that. Also, did you have an express post envelope? I went to get one but the post office told me there's no such thing as a pre paid express post envelope.

LT, USIT does work out pretty expensive but I was on a tight schedule when I applied so didn't have much choice. I think Go4Less would have been cheaper but they only offer the program at certain times of year, I think. There's another company in Boston that you can apply through that I saw somewhere that I think is also cheaper but I can't remember the name. I've got the interview next Tuesday so I'll let you know how it goes.

That other company you're talking about is the Irish Immigrant Center in Boston (their website is here - http://www.iiicenter.org/2011/08/11/j-1-irish-work-and-travel-program/) You can go with them too and it works out a little bit cheaper than USIT.

LT365, I went with USIT too and I was a tiny bit worried about losing my money, but you're right if you're eligible for the visa there's not a great chance you won't get it. I had a letter saying I had applied for a phd back home as well as proof of return flights - that's the one thing that they definitely require according to USIT.

Jarrod, yeah I had a weird situation in the embassy w/ the envelope too. She told me I needed a specific express post envelope but there's no such thing. I just had an envelope with loads of stamps on it, I think the total was 5.85? For the DS7002 yeah as soon as you find a job you can just print it off the internet, I got in www.ciee.org, and you can just hand it in to the employer who'll fill it out. it asks the employer exactly what you'll be doing, if they'll be paying you etc, and then you just email it back to whoever your sponsor is. Hope this helps! :)

That's great Amy, thanks. The envelope thing kinda worried me cos I ended up just getting one with 5.75 stamps, the post office said that'll cover express post. How long did it take before you got your passport back and do they tell you then and there if you got the visa? Sorry for the silly questions, just want to get the interview out of the way so I can start planning properly. Thanks for the help.

Hey no the more questions the better! I'm glad I can help. Maybe bring some extra stamps just in case? The guy in front of me didn't have enough and he had to ask people in the waiting room for extra ones. I had my interview Thursday morning at 9am, and I got my passport back in the post on Monday morning. They tell you at the interview if you get it, she just says 'your visa has been approved, have a nice day.' Honestly I think the term interview is a bit misleading because it's just like a chat, they're just very professional. It's not stressful if you have all your stuff together.

Yeah extra stamps is a good idea. I'm still waiting for a letter from work saying that I have a job to come back to which is the only thing I need now. Other than that I've everything, I know that once you're sponsored there's not much reason for them not to approve the visa but at the same time I don't want to count my chickens. I'll let you know how I get on anyway, and thanks again.

I know. I felt similarly even though I was fairly sure I would get approved. Yeah let me know how you get on! :)

Hey Amy, gonna pester you one more time I'm afraid. So, I've the embassy appointment on Tuesday and here's what I've got. My DS2019, my passport, SEVIS receipt, a letter from work to prove I'm coming back, my bank statement, a bank draft for the embassy, a letter from college and the DS160 confirmation page. And the envelope. That's all it says I need on the e-mail I got from USIT so I think it's everything, is there anything I'm missing?

Also, just to clarify, the envelope I have is about A5 size I think, about 6x9 inch. There's nothing on it to signify express post though, just an expensive stamp. Is that all it has to be? Sorry to ask again but I don't want to mess it up on something so silly.

Thanks again for the advice.

Hey! It sounds like you have pretty much everything. Did you get your photo uploaded on the DS-160? If not you should bring some visa photos (2x2 inches, not passport sized) with you aswell. Otherwise everything else sounds fine. Yeah the envelope I had didn't say anything about being express post either. She was fine about it when it had the right amount of stamps.

Don't be nervous it'll be totally fine!

Yeah I uploaded the photo, but actually got photos too just in case. It should be okay, so I'm not too nervous, yet anyway. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement

LT365 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, just seen your posts and would really appreciate some advise. I am considering applying for this Visa aswell and hope to travel to America in February 2013. I got a quote off USIT for the Visa and they have come with a price of €2300 for the visa and flights, is this how much you guys paid for your visas? I'm concerned that if for any reason I don't get the Visa that I will loose all the money I have paid over to USIT. Can I assume that once I'm eligible for the Visa that I'll get it? I'm planning on going to Chicago cause I have a brother there so i'll have somewhere to stay. I've just finished my training as a Solicitor so will have to find work in the area of Law. Did you all have jobs secured in America before you left Ireland? I'd appreciate any advise anyone can give me.

Yes this is basically the exact same as I paid for mine with USIT too. But on top of this you have to pay the $160 embassy fee also. You need to bring a bank draft to the interview made out to 'US Embassy' its annoying all the kind of extra charges. My flights worked out at like €915 even though I went on the BA website myself and the flights were around €500 so obviously USIT are keeping a lot extra for themselves but as someone else said go4less is probably cheaper but they give out less visa's during the year, i.e they give them out in bunches so every few months. That's why I went with USIT because they give out these packages all year round. I haven't got a job secured before I go over (on the 7th of November) so no you don't have to have one secured. I just graduated with a BSc in Event Management so Im hoping that this will allow me to branch out and get a job in many different areas according to the different modules I've studied etc. It would be nice to be allowed get a bar/waitressing job to tie us over while we look for a job but unless you get something that involves being paid 'cash in hand' you wont be allowed do these kinds of jobs with this visa unfortunately. Hope this information helped you if you want to know anything else I'll try help if I can :D

Jarrod wrote: »
    Hey Amy, gonna pester you one more time I'm afraid. So, I've the embassy appointment on Tuesday and here's what I've got. My DS2019, my passport, SEVIS receipt, a letter from work to prove I'm coming back, my bank statement, a bank draft for the embassy, a letter from college and the DS160 confirmation page. And the envelope. That's all it says I need on the e-mail I got from USIT so I think it's everything, is there anything I'm missing?

Also, just to clarify, the envelope I have is about A5 size I think, about 6x9 inch. There's nothing on it to signify express post though, just an expensive stamp. Is that all it has to be? Sorry to ask again but I don't want to mess it up on something so silly.

Thanks again for the advice.

Hey Jarrod yes this is more than enough documents that you need. I had my interview last friday and didnt have my bank statement so got rescheduled to halloween morning!

Such a pain considering I was travelling up from Carlow so early in the morning but anyways I rang Usit and just wanted to clarify the documents etc because I was freaking out because I didnt have any 'return of evidence'....nothing from a previous employer (I've never had a job in carlow) and Im not planning on doing a masters when I come back next year because I dont return until November and college will be in full swing by then. So anyways the woman at USIT said that it was strange that they made me reschedule the interview on the terms that I didnt provide a bank statement because she said the return of evidence form was more important for them to have!.....Anyways cut a long story short when I went back up wed morning I still have no r.o.e documentation and I just had my plan thought out in my head. Handed in my documents and didnt get asked to provide it....waited an hour....got fingerprints taken....then got the interview. No offence to any Americans who read this but the people at that embassy are on some major power trip! No hello or good morning from them, after waiting around a few hours with no way to get a drink or something to eat...and having to read 4 year old magazines to keep yourself occupied because they take your phone off you at security. Anyways they dont ask you questions as such they just started throwing statements at me like 'do you know that 99% of people are planning on going to New York with their visas' and I was like...eh ok...what do you want me to say about that, not like I know everyone who is getting a visa right now. They never asked me once what I was planning on doing when I returned so maybe they just pick and choose when they ask people that.

Also the story with the envelope is strange considering they have always sold express post envelopes in all post offices Im sure. I bought mine in the GPO in Dublin for €7.50 I think. You can also get your pictures taken, the correct size (not passport size) in the pharmacy just up the road from the embassy on your left for €9. Hope all this helps you out a bit. Im sure you'll be grand anyways I thought I wasnt going to get one because of how much sh*t they were throwing at me but in all fairness unless you are some convicted criminal then you'll get your visa no bother. Best of luck with it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LT365

Thanks for all the advise everyone, I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions when I get all the documentation from Usit. In terms of the evidence of return, If you give them a letter from your employer saying you will be returning to work there, do you think they actually contact them to confirm this?
    Jarrod best of luck on Tuesday and Anna have a safe flight on the 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Most likely not. Just the letter itself should suffice.

Yeah they won't contact your employer. Honestly no offence but they probably couldn't be bothered contacting them. HAHA Im sure it would take too much time and effort on their part to do it. I mean just having the return of evidence is enough, I didnt have any and I got on grand so don't worry too much about it :D best of luck to you too :D

I had the interview this morning. It was fairly straightforward. They just asked where I was going and what sort of jobs I'd be looking for. They never even asked for return evidence, just the bank statement. Anyway, my visa was approved so I'm heading off on the 1st, thanks to everyone for the advice and good luck to those still waiting.

Hey well done Jarrod that's great. Anna that sounds like a total nightmare. I can't believe they made you reschedule and everything it's such an inconvenience. They don't contact your employer or college, just the letter is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SAJ

hoggy87 wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean but:

I've done it with the IIC. As soon as I got my DS-2019 information, I paid the SEVIS and filled out the Embassy Application / DS-160. You can get an interview 3 days from when you ring to book the interview at the moment. I had my embassy interview on Friday and I received my passport back yesterday. I leave, for Chicago, in 9 days. You are able to fly up to 30 days before the start date of your visa.

Would anyone have an approximate figure too how much cheaper it is booking the 1 year graduate working visa with the IIC, rather than companies such as USIT or Go for less? I'm assuming also these visas can be applied for year round? And how long does the process generally take? Sorry for all the questions, am just trying to formulate some sort of plan for applying for this visa next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The standard figures are available on their sites:

USIT

SAYIT

III Center

Go4Less

However, no site and no company can project the flight and Embassy charges. They are variables within these costs. So even if someone gives you previous costs, always consider inflation and other factors.

• Advertisement

This article from the IT has the program fees but yeah you could pay anything for flights, especially because if you go with USIT or Go4Less you book your flights w/ them and thus are more limited

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2012/07/18/guide-to-applying-for-12-month-us-visa/

Advertisement