Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best web browser for windows 95.

• 04-11-2011 7:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Using Internet explorer ATM. Pretty old os but I need to keep running it in certain parts of plant. Ie is very slow. Is google chrome or Firefox any better?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Chrome won't work for Windows 95. I doubt Firefox would either. You could download a legacy version of Netscape.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

What in the name of God are you doing letting a Windows 95 machine have internet access?

Needing it for legacy hardware reasons is one thing, letting it anywhere near a live network connection with internet access is another matter entirely, which frankly is even less appealing that cutting off my arm using a blade made from my own toenails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,681 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Everything Fysh said.

When you connect to websites you always transmit basic information about your system: your screen resolution, browser version, operating system, etc. etc. - this information is legitimately required by websites to handle content delivery and give you a readable version of the page. However in the hands of anyone wishing to act maliciously, the moment they see you running a legacy setup they can unleash any manner of Nasty at you: Windows 95 is not exactly bullet proof. When Microsoft dropped support for it, it was still full of security loopholes.

And you need this running to operate a Plant???

DUDE.

This is WHY the security community is freaked out about the possibility of someone hacking into the power grid, among other things.

Take a look at this delightful video:

Above video caused by creating a computer glitch that messed with the timing in the turbine, causing it to overspin and burn out.

Keep the god damn PC offline. There is no good reason for you to need to access the Internet on that dinosaur for anything whatsoever.

If you want the internet may I suggest a Netbook??? JHC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

windows 95 did not come with a browser , that alone should give you some indication of how unsafe it is to use.

windows 95 has no security, you can press Esc to bypass the logon password and then any command/app can do anything to any files that aren't locked open (and even then you are one reboot from changing them)

find out when 95 support ended.
    as a first approximation assume that every patch for 98 and ME after that date also applies to 95 since they use the same code base. Microsoft don't release security notices after they stop supporting an OS. you can also assume that a lot of the patches for other version of windows also apply since some holes were only found 15 years later.

what you could do is run 95 in a VM and use shared folders to copy files
    but I suspect that would make stuff difficult with control

Best advice for 95 is remove all network components. Remove TCP/IP and use NetBUI instead if you absolutely need remote connectivity, (mainly I'd see this for backing up the 95 box) you can setup a second PC with this protocol too, NetBEUI for XP this will allow you to copy files back and forth. If using windows 7 use XP mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭carveone

windows 95 did not come with a browser , that alone should give you some indication of how unsafe it is to use.

Well, I wouldn't say that follows really. I used Lynx on a Vax mainframe in the early days (1994/5). Pretty solid. And sad ;)

But yeah, Windows 95/98/Me OSes have no security. However my mother used a Windows 98SE box (PII/400) up until March this year without issues using IE6 and Outlook Express. On dialup (Bit painful that). It was locked down as much as I could do it though. No Microsoft Client/File and Print sharing giving zero open ports. No Active X allowed, Abode Flash kill bit set.

No firewall (no open ports so no need). No AntiVirus (email attachments filtered, no html mail). Did a full scan with Sophos and Norton before putting it out to pasture, no malware :p

This box was considerably safer than XP before SP2. Older Windows had virtually no services running.

Still and all, it's a touch crufty. Even 98SE would be preferable. And no other browser other than Lynx is going to give you any speed increase due to the probable slowness of the underlying hardware. Javascript is a total killer - boards.ie took forever on a PII/400 to render that menu at the top. Browsing the modern net on hardware that old must be just infuriating.

Just say no :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Couldn't he just put ubuntu on that machine. I mean there are some people out there that just want to use the internet without having to spend money on a new PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Couldn't he just put ubuntu on that machine. I mean there are some people out there that just want to use the internet without having to spend money on a new PC?

A pc for Win 95 wouldn't have enough horsepower for Ubuntu

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If it's a legacy machine used in a plant, it's very unlikely that it can be easily upgraded - because otherwise, the smart solution would be "Nuke Win95 from high orbit and start from scratch with a modern Windows release".

The hardware, however, is almost definitely sufficiently ancient that it likely won't support anything beyond the also-ancient Windows 98 (maybe, if you're very lucky, you'd get Win2k - also pretty ancient and well out of the extended support phase from MS at this point - to run on it).

Which brings us back to square 1 - if the machine can't be decommissioned and replaced with something modern because it has an important job to do, it has absolutely no business being anywhere %$£&ing near a live network connection. As part of my job I have to support a whole bunch of ancient computers running legacy OS of various sorts which are used to interface expensive lab systems that cost hundreds of times what the computer would have cost. They're impossible to secure in a manner that would make letting them have network access a safe and worthwhile task, especially if the only reason for doing so is to let some bored operator look at boards or watch youtube videos while they're waiting for some process to complete.
    PogMoThoin wrote: »

Oh god, memories of using Win95 at home are coming back to haunt me :( A maximum of 480MB of RAM and 2GB of hard drive space? *shudder* The stability you'd expect of a one-legged table balanced on the nose of an epileptic penguin in a disco? *panic* Susceptibility to the dreaded ping of death? /me runs gibbering from the room.

worth noting the PC wouldn't even have the power to run boards: the first animated flash ad it comes across it will explode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

...I kinda want to install it again now. On an isolated virtual machine, of course. ;)

• Advertisement

...I kinda want to install it again now. On an isolated virtual machine, of course. ;)
    It would go something like this, but with viruses:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/152048/bigboned-joins-the-chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

I came across a Windows 3.11 for workgroups last year in a live production site!! really old instrument connected to it, and if they changed the instrument it was going to cost 1 millon so cheaper to have a few spare 386/ 486 around for backup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

carveone wrote:
    Windows 95/98/Me OSes have no security.
    Not true bud...

You can find firewalls and things that run fine on 98se (I wouldnt wanna go online w/o one (YOU CANT TRUST PEOPLE NOWADAYS))

Dude111 wrote: »
    Not true bud...

You can find firewalls and things that run fine on 98se (I wouldnt wanna go online w/o one (YOU CANT TRUST PEOPLE NOWADAYS))

Even if you can find those things...given the hardware constraints that come with Win9x and the assumption of being a bare-metal install (ie not a VM), what could possibly make it worth keeping said ancient OS and yet putting it online? I can see only heartache as a result.

Dude111 wrote: »
    carveone wrote:
    Windows 95/98/Me OSes have no security.

Not true bud...

I didn't say no security applications, I said no security period ;) There's no ownership or priviledge model. That's all I meant.

Besides, if you've no ports available to connect to, there's no need for a firewall (unless you want to stop outgoing connections).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

carveone wrote: »
    Besides, if you've no ports available to connect to, there's no need for a firewall (unless you want to stop outgoing connections).
    so you're saying that windows 95 is immune to remote exploits ?

not even ye olde ping of death :P

or the multiple vulnerabilities in how images are displayed (NT4 could be owned by a .bmp)

or the way outlook express would autorun an email on arrival (IIRC you didn't even have to open it)

so you're saying that windows 95 is immune to remote exploits ?

not even ye olde ping of death :P

Ok, you've got me on that one!

I was using 98SE for the most part and a firewall wouldn't protect you from email viruses. Which is why I configured OE to display text only.

Nothing like that boards.ie javascript monster on the top of every page (the menu) to mangle an old Windows 98 machine. It just sits there thinking for about 40 seconds.

I guess if you've got some crufty VB 4 app talking to a GPIB card on Windows 95, you'd rather just keep the setup you have rather than make the pain worse :)

carveone wrote: »
    I guess if you've got some crufty VB 4 app talking to a GPIB card on Windows 95, you'd rather just keep the setup you have rather than make the pain worse :)

We've got people running 20-year-equipment in a lab in my place that's controlled by a machine they "sourced" via ebay because they "need" sufficiently old hardware that FreeDOS is the only viable OS to talk to the kit. (When I say "need", what I mean is "for some reason never planned for the time when DOS would no longer be a viable OS, and are now whingening that 20 years on they'll need to buy a new licence for the software as well as a new interface card, which will set them back somewhere between a few hundred pounds and a couple of grand").

And that's separate to the various Win95 and Win98 boxes we've got around. I think someone's still using some gear that's controlled by a Windows 3.11 box too, but that could just be a recurring nightmare...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Overheal wrote: »
    It would go something like this, but with viruses:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/152048/bigboned-joins-the-chat

Booo! That's region locked over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Fysh wrote: »
    What in the name of God are you doing letting a Windows 95 machine have internet access?

Needing it for legacy hardware reasons is one thing, letting it anywhere near a live network connection with internet access is another matter entirely, which frankly is even less appealing that cutting off my arm using a blade made from my own toenails.

+1

To the original poster, this application you need to run... why not run it in a virtual machine? Putting windows 95 on the internet (patched or not) is asking for trouble. MS no longer support it, so any security holes in it will never be patched, leaving you exposed to being hacked and/or bitten by worms/viruses, etc. I hope to Gods you have this windows 95 machine, at the very least, on an insolated network.

Achilles wrote: »
    Booo! That's region locked over here.
    [The southpark scene where cartmen enters a NAMBLA chatroom]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Overheal wrote: »
    [The southpark scene where cartmen enters a NAMBLA chatroom]

Better late than never I guess Overheal :pac:

Holy dragged up old thread Batman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Holy thread revival (nine months later) Batman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Hehe

Can we sticky this thread? It's a ****ing classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

PogMoThoin wrote: »

There are many other versions of linux that will run fine on that hardware. If you disable cpu intensive applications like flash it should be fine for basic browsing and email.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    There are many other versions of linux that will run fine on that hardware. If you disable cpu intensive applications like flash it should be fine for basic browsing and email.

Are you kidding? Look at how much Javascript a site like boards.ie uses, and imagine how well that'll run on something like the hardware you'd be getting in a Win95-era PC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for recycling and repurposing where possible, but you're going to get a computing experience analogous to installing Linux on your toaster if you take a win95-era machine and stick anything but the most resolutely basic distribution of Linux on to it, and even then it will be unable to usefully use most contemporary web-based services.

There is one thing to do with a machine that old, and the single-word description of that thing is "disposal".

Advertisement