Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsuccessful repairs to electrical item

Options
  • 04-11-2011 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I have an out-of-warranty electrical item which I have recently had repairs carried out on. The repair guy is from the official service partner. He has so far been unable to diagnose the problem and has "tried" repairs/new parts to the tune of several hundred euro, however the problem has not yet been fixed.

I'm sure this guy is genuinely trying to fix the problem but I can't continue simply throwing money at it. At what point am I entitled to I say "Stop, I need a refund for this?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Depends how long its out of warranty, the sale of goods act dictates that a product must work without fault for a reasonable period of time after purchase.
    Goods are of merchantable quality if they are as fit for the purpose or purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly bought and as durable as it is reasonable to expect having regard to any description applied to them, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances, and any reference in this Act to unmerchantable goods shall be construed accordingly.

It's a bit of a grey area and dealt with on a case by case basis as there are several mitigating factors... how old is it, is it used more or less than average, is it treated with care, has it been tampered with. You may not be entitled to a full refund but depending on the age of the appliance you may be entitled to a partial refund or some kind of discounted repair.

In regards to the repair guy, I don't know - did you pay X to get it fixed or did you pay X to get a part changed? I would assume that if you paid to get it fixed and your contract with this guy states that then you might have something to work with. If he is working on it and spending money on parts then I would assume that he has to be paid, its not his fault... BUT, I am guessing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

When it broke down, did you first contact the manufacturer/retailer, or did you go straight to the repair guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

jor el wrote: »
    When it broke down, did you first contact the manufacturer/retailer, or did you go straight to the repair guy?

Went through manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

RoboRat wrote: »
    Depends how long its out of warranty, the sale of goods act dictates that a product must work without fault for a reasonable period of time after purchase.

It's a bit of a grey area and dealt with on a case by case basis as there are several mitigating factors... how old is it, is it used more or less than average, is it treated with care, has it been tampered with. You may not be entitled to a full refund but depending on the age of the appliance you may be entitled to a partial refund or some kind of discounted repair.

In regards to the repair guy, I don't know - did you pay X to get it fixed or did you pay X to get a part changed? I would assume that if you paid to get it fixed and your contract with this guy states that then you might have something to work with. If he is working on it and spending money on parts then I would assume that he has to be paid, its not his fault... BUT, I am guessing here.

Well what's happening is he is changing a part to see if that fixes the problem. When it doesn't then he tries something else, but charging each time. For the appliance in question it's not immediately obvious if the new part has fixed the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

this is separate to any rights you have as a consuer. your contract is between you and the retailer and you are within them to request they deal with the issue and challenge them in the SCC if they refuse to do so.

what you are doing here is engaging a 3rd party to repair the machine and you are paying them for providing that service. the service they have provided so far has failed to fix the machine, but they have still provided it. i.e. you received the parts you paid for and the person performed the specified labor.

regarding the first aspect, your options depend on the type of machine, its age, your usage of it and so on. all the normal aspects of consumer rights

regarding the second, i do not believe you will have any recourse to claim money back, in the same way as you will not have recourse against a garage if they do not fix a problem with your car. they diagnose, agree a course of action with you and charge accordingly. unless they are purposely avoiding fixing it or doing unneccesary work it is normal for a repair service to work in this manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Mack what is it and how old is it and what's the problem

Advertisement