Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Multiple Computers

• 04-11-2011 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I'm just wondering, am I allowed to use multiple computers even though I told them that I am only going to use one computer when I ordered the service?

The answer I want is legally by the way, not ''it's okay, they won't know anyway''. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

legally?

officially they will only support the use of a single computer, but you can use as many as you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

vibe666 wrote: »
    legally?

officially they will only support the use of a single computer, but you can use as many as you like.

I know they will 'support' only using one. But for example, like what's going to happen soon, a technician arrives and sees that I use more than one, and let's say he/she tells UPC about it, would I be penalised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I don't think they care if you have a thousand computers connected. They will not support issues related to multiple computer access. Their supplied Cisco router has 4 LAN ports, and WiFi access.
    It's not like a Sky or a UPC TV setup where you have one box one TV.

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    I don't think they care if you have a thousand computers connected. They will not support issues related to multiple computer access. Their supplied Cisco router has 4 LAN ports, and WiFi access.
    It's not like a Sky or a UPC TV setup where you have one box one TV.

Yeah that's one of my positive points about the topic too, the multiple output from the router. I was just curious because they DID ask me if I was going to use one computer only. And also, what if I connect 1 output from the router into another router just to supply better WiFi signal into another part of the house (it's basically the same thing isn't it)?

Yeah that's one of my positive points about the topic too, the multiple output from the router. I was just curious because they DID ask me if I was going to use one computer only. And also, what if I connect 1 output from the router into another router just to supply better WiFi signal into another part of the house (it's basically the same thing isn't it)?
    you aren't going to be penalised and nobody (least of all an engineer) is going to tell on you for having more than one computer, so you can stop worrying. :)

if they were asking you if you only had one computer, they were most likely fishing for a reason to talk you into upgrading to a higher package. :)

• Advertisement

you aren't going to be penalised and nobody (least of all an engineer) is going to tell on you for having more than one computer, so you can stop worrying. :)

if they were asking you if you only had one computer, they were most likely fishing for a reason to talk you into upgrading to a higher package. :)

Lol. Thanks a lot. No I'm fine with my package anyway. Using 2 computers during evenings, one basically for facebook(that crap computer in the living room can only take as much as facebook, and that's with some freezes due to hardware, Lol.) And I use it for online games, facebook, etc. So I think 25Mb is fine for me. Thanks again guys.

i have 14 different devices connected on a regular basis, plus several others from time to time and my usage is pretty close to the 500gb limit most months so if anyone was going to get caught it would be me, so i reckon you'll be fine. :)

i have 14 different devices connected on a regular basis, plus several others from time to time and my usage is pretty close to the 500gb limit most months so if anyone was going to get caught it would be me, so i reckon you'll be fine. :)

WOW. How in the name of all that's holy can you reach 500Gb?

if i was just a single person with a single computer using it in my spare time then i doubt i'd get anywhere near 500gb per month, but with several people and a lot of devices using the connection on a regular basis it's really not all that hard at all. :)

if i was just a single person with a single computer using it in my spare time then i doubt i'd get anywhere near 500gb per month, but with several people and a lot of devices using the connection on a regular basis it's really not all that hard at all. :)

Ah. Ok ok. I thought you download the whole megaupload.com or something like that. Lol. I doubt I get up to 100Gb to be honest. Although I'm really unsure. Is there a way you can find out how much you use up per month?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

NetWorx will do the job for ya. Install it on both laptops, and you'll be able to check your allowance.

NetWorx will do the job for ya. Install it on both laptops, and you'll be able to check your allowance.
    you can also point it directly at your router and it will monitor the bandwidth usage directly from that (as long as it's running on a PC somewhere at the time) if you are using games consoles etc. to download demo's or other online content.

there seem to be a few people having trouble getting it working, but i've had it working so it is definitely possible to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

Where can you find out on the my upc account what your limit is for downloading or is there a set limit for eveyrbody. I've a 20meg connection.

it's 500gb for everyone.

they don't have a usage monitor though, so its up to you to monitor it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

ah thats fine, monthly id say i top around 1-200. thanks.

it's 500gb for everyone.

they don't have a usage monitor though, so its up to you to monitor it yourself.

Is it 500Gb for everyone? When I applied for this service, I opted for the unlimited service but I had a choice between limited ones and the unlimited(which was really 300Gb, they just increased it to 500Gb recently). Are they all just unlimited(500Gb) now?

you can also point it directly at your router and it will monitor the bandwidth usage directly from that (as long as it's running on a PC somewhere at the time) if you are using games consoles etc. to download demo's or other online content.

there seem to be a few people having trouble getting it working, but i've had it working so it is definitely possible to do.

I got it working. weehoo. :)

Is it 500Gb for everyone? When I applied for this service, I opted for the unlimited service but I had a choice between limited ones and the unlimited(which was really 300Gb, they just increased it to 500Gb recently). Are they all just unlimited(500Gb) now?
    it used to be different for each package, and until the 50 and 100mbps packages came out the "unlimited" packages had a limit of 250gb.

then the 100mbps was trialled and had a 500gb limit, then they officially launched all the new packages and in september they changed the limits for all the packages to 500gb.

now apparently, regardless of what package you are on, if you go over the 500gb limit consistently, they will punish you by moving you to a 30mbps package and then charge you €79.99 per month for it.

there has never actually been an unlimited package on UPC. they have advertised them in the past, but there was always a limit and after lots of complaints they eventually came clean and published the limits openly and stopped calling them unlimited.

it used to be different for each package, and until the 50 and 100mbps packages came out the "unlimited" packages had a limit of 250gb.

then the 100mbps was trialled and had a 500gb limit, then they officially launched all the new packages and in september they changed the limits for all the packages to 500gb.

now apparently, regardless of what package you are on, if you go over the 500gb limit consistently, they will punish you by moving you to a 30mbps package and then charge you €79.99 per month for it.

there has never actually been an unlimited package on UPC. they have advertised them in the past, but there was always a limit and after lots of complaints they eventually came clean and published the limits openly and stopped calling them unlimited.

Yeah that's all right I believe. Yeah, I once availed of the only 'unlimited' package about 4 years ago and I was limited to 300Gb. Lol. Marketing is a very, VERY crap thing.

the 'Fair Usage Policy' of not going over 250gb was actually first enforced in January 2009, before that to my knowledge although they had the FUP in the contract T&C (although without a defined limit) nobody had actually ever been punished or warned about overuse.

back then though, 20mbps was the fastest package they did, not the slowest (how things have changed!).

I actually signed up in November 2008 and enjoyed a whole month and a half of not watching my bandwidth usage until they started enforcing the 250gb FUP, which they later changed to Acceptable Usage Policy as our definition of what is 'fair' would probably be different to theirs. :)

needless to say, i got my first FUP letter at the start of February of that year. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

UPC only care about the total amount of broadband you use, not how many machines its used on. In my house, there are 3 laptops, an xbox, a wii, a few phones, and god knows what else that are coming off the wifi, as another router hooked up to allow 2 DS's access to the internet.

Youn will be fine OP

Advertisement