Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 exams in March 12

• 04-11-2011 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I am sitting the fe1s next March. I have a law degree but not an Irish one. I am wondering what the easiest fe1 subjects are and which have the highest pass rates? I would ideally like to get as many done as possible. Was thinking of doing them all but there seems to be too much in the manuals. Also does anyone have any idea as to the level of detail/acamdeic commentary/case names needed for the fe1s?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭sazzyfiz

I am sitting the fe1s next March. I have a law degree but not an Irish one. I am wondering what the easiest fe1 subjects are and which have the highest pass rates? I would ideally like to get as many done as possible. Was thinking of doing them all but there seems to be too much in the manuals. Also does anyone have any idea as to the level of detail/acamdeic commentary/case names needed for the fe1s?

Thanks.

the easiest IMO are criminal, property, equity, contract

most advise the dont do eu and constitutional in the same sitting as they are both quite large!

to be honest if you know whats in the manual you will be fine - iv never used outside commentary or extra cases and i have passed all iv done so far first time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I'm planning on doing them aswell, picked the same 4 subjects as the poster above said.. found it very overwhelming when I first looked at the syllabus but everyone on boards has been very helpful in telling me to keep to the manuals and just use the books as an anchor as I was going off reading the books and making notes (taking forever!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Northern Child

thanks chops and sazzy. yes there is a lot in them, much more than I had thought. Are you working as well or just concentrating on the exams? I certainly am taking them four and possibly another one but I will see. I wont be looking at any textbooks at all as I already feel overwhelmed.

thanks chops and sazzy. yes there is a lot in them, much more than I had thought. Are you working as well or just concentrating on the exams? I certainly am taking them four and possibly another one but I will see. I wont be looking at any textbooks at all as I already feel overwhelmed.

im working and trying to concentrate on the exams, doing my best to study as much as I can so hopefully I do ok!!

Sure I'll see how I get on this Spring and if all goes bad I can attempt them again next Autumn and fully concentrate..

What way you doing them??

I am going to take 4 at least but may take another as I am not working. My aim is to get through them as quick as possible. I have signed up for one of the review courses so I be watching the lectures etc online. I actually was going to try them all in one sitting but having looked at it this past week I think there is way too much and its my first time looking at Irish law. On the plus side there does seem to be more testable topics in each course so I think there will be big sections of the manuals that will be either left out or skimmed over!

• Advertisement

also when do we have to sign up for the exams? thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭sazzyfiz

also when do we have to sign up for the exams? thanks for your help.

not until feb

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Curiousme11

Im also planning on sitting 4 of the FE1's next March. Im working full time at the moment. Does anyone think starting now is leaving adequate time to get the exams? Obviously it depends on how much time I put in from here and now but just trying to get a general idea.

Also, I have a law degree from the UK. Does anyone who has studied law in the UK and Irl both feel there is a lot of cross over?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Atticus Lynch

Im also planning on sitting 4 of the FE1's next March. Im working full time at the moment. Does anyone think starting now is leaving adequate time to get the exams? Obviously it depends on how much time I put in from here and now but just trying to get a general idea.

Also, I have a law degree from the UK. Does anyone who has studied law in the UK and Irl both feel there is a lot of cross over?

If you are doing four in March, now is plenty of time to start studying I'd say. I gave myself only about 6 weeks for 4 last October and it was alright (although I quit work to concentrate on the exams at that point). If you get a good study rhythm going you should be fine I'd say. Also don't kill yourself too much before Christmas I'd say or you'll just burn out.

Should be plenty of time from what I've heard off people. I only started a few weeks ago and I am attempting 4 next Spring, study so far is going OK. Although I would prefer if I had more time as I only get 2 days and maybe 1 evening of study done with work, which is why I am going to request to be put on part time hours pretty soon.

Anyway they way I am doing it is getting through the topics in the manuals - I started off a bit slow but picking up some pace now - jot down some notes and read through the areas. Then from the first week of January onwards I am going to do nothing but practice past questions and prepare answers. That way I have from now till a little bit after Christmas to get myself refreshed on the subjects and from then on I will use the notes I made, the manuals, the text books and useful sites on the internet to prepare answers and do nothing but exam papers. Practising is the best way in my opinion, however we do all have to have a small bit of revision on the subjects before we dive right into attempting questions, even if we are going to do some of them open book in our study sessions.

P.S. All the past exam papers and examiners reports can be bought on the law society's website for €6 each. They are very good as the examiners comments says exactly what he wanted right down to cases. Good luck with study, it still seems a bit daunting to me as at the moment I don't have as much study time as I thought I would but hopefully work will put me on part time hours, even from after Christmas onwards because I will need the time to prepare properly.

Also, quick question for anyone on here, does anyone know how many times you can repeat an exam, so say I did 8 and passed 7 and then kept failing the final 1 for example 4 times in a row (I know this shouldn't happen but it's hypothetical) is there a limit to how many times you can repeat like the way there is for the Kings Inns??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 law3

Hi guys,
    Im working full time but want to pursue 4 exams in March. As my time is limited has anyone any suggestions as to what 4 subjects out of the eight would be the least time consuming to take. I would be dropping one and concentrating on three so more so what 3 would be the easiest to take.
    Thanks in advance for any replies

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭birdie89

law3 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Im working full time but want to pursue 4 exams in March. As my time is limited has anyone any suggestions as to what 4 subjects out of the eight would be the least time consuming to take. I would be dropping one and concentrating on three so more so what 3 would be the easiest to take.
    Thanks in advance for any replies

contract property and criminal are the three easiest in my opinion!

where are the exams held? I have heard the rds, does anyone know any good places to stay close enough to the exam hall?

I know the deadline to apply is Feb 2nd, should I get applying now or is there enough spots to take the exams for everyone?? As in everyone who apply's they will have the place for them once it's before feb 2nd that is..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

where are the exams held? I have heard the rds, does anyone know any good places to stay close enough to the exam hall?
    It's been the Red Cow for the last 2 (?) sittings.
    chops018 wrote: »
    I know the deadline to apply is Feb 2nd, should I get applying now or is there enough spots to take the exams for everyone?? As in everyone who apply's they will have the place for them once it's before feb 2nd that is..
    As long as your application is in order and in before the date, you're fine. One thing you'll learn in time is that the Law Society are quite fond of money.

Robbo wrote: »
    It's been the Red Cow for the last 2 (?) sittings.

As long as your application is in order and in before the date, you're fine. One thing you'll learn in time is that the Law Society are quite fond of money.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

chops018 wrote: »

For the October sitting I applied about an hour before the deadline passed and got a place. I don't think there is a limited supply really, everyone who applies before the deadline passes will get a place AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Also, +1 for equity, property, contract and criminal. Property is the shortest and most straightforward of the subjects, and it overlaps substantially with equity, which also overlaps substantially with contract, so you save yourself a lot of work by taking those three together. Criminal isn't related to any of them, but is fairly easy in its own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SeaFlat

the exams are in Red Cow Moran hotel. It's on the Red Luas line. so anywhere in town will be handy enough. Or, of course, the hotel itself would be an obvious choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ella2012

Hi, I am sitting the Eu fe1 exam next week and I am wondering where to buy the Eu legislation for the exam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Ella2012

Hi wondering what is the main topics to study for EU fe1 exam?

Advertisement