Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old stone house

Options
  • 04-11-2011 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

HI I'm looking at buying an very old stone walled house. Some wall have dry lining on them, otheres don't. Do you have any advice on this?
    It was renovated last in the 80s. Its 200 years old

The rooms are 12foot high. My fear is around the cost of upgrading it /heating it. What should I focus on?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

castle300 wrote: »
    HI I'm looking at buying an very old stone walled house. Some wall have dry lining on them, otheres don't. Do you have any advice on this?

The rooms are 12foot high. My fear is around the cost of upgrading it /heating it. What should I focus on?

thanks

I did this a few years ago and all I can say is god bless you I hope you have plenty of cash

• Registered Users Posts: 10 castle300

HI Carpenter : Do you have any breakdown of costs / what had to be done?

I hope things have got a little cheaper now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

If its a typical 'old world' cottage as the auctioneers call them then you would be looking at 50k -60k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

As you can see by my user name I did all the work myself so can only advise on material and heating and yes prices would have dropped a lot where is the house

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

thanks
    you always start with structure/ building fabric, then heating and not the other way around!!
    I would recommend you get an architect in with experience of old buildings, and the same goes for any builder you use.
    here's a few tips on avoiding dampness http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74483139&postcount=4
    I would steer clear of dry-lining if possible but this depends on the actual house. ..

best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement