Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treatments at housing

• 04-11-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi guys as its nearly time to house cattle,just wondering what people use to

1. Treat dairy spring calving cows for fluke worms etc
    I Use Fasinex

2. Treat weanlings 10,11 months old for same
    I use ivomec super

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We usually don't treat weanlins for 4/5 weeks after housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

warfie35 wrote: »
    Hi guys as its nearly time to house cattle,just wondering what people use to

1. Treat dairy spring calving cows for fluke worms etc
    I Use Fasinex

2. Treat weanlings 10,11 months old for same
    I use ivomec super

started treatment last week after i took some stools from 6cows-after getting results from bulk milk sample-never had fluke in herd and have very dry land but 90%of herd have rumen fluke. felt a few cows were preforming poorly with lower than average solids all summer-

winter milk so treatment is a pain
    doing everything with ZANIL
    3 day milk withdrawel so doing all cows at drying off. cows that are calved or wont be dried off till after feb will be done in batches of 6every 3days.worse thing is that they have to be done again in 8weeks:eek:

all replacements and cows will get eprinex for roundworms as soon as there house full time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

Warfie35 I am pretty sure Fasinex is not on the approved list for Dairy cows. (could be wrong though).

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

bbam wrote: »

We let all stock settle in for 4 weeks, from the date of the last beast entering the shed; (fluke will have matured & lice will start to appear), then treat all stock with Ivomec pour-on.

Side point on Ivomec (& probably other pour-ons?); treating weanlings too early will bring on respiratory problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

We let all stock settle in for 4 weeks, from the date of the last beast entering the shed; (fluke will have matured & lice will start to appear), then treat all stock with Ivomec pour-on.

Side point on Ivomec (& probably other pour-ons?); treating weanlings too early will bring on respiratory problems

I treat weanlings about five weeks before weaning, and again a month after housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭k mac

I bought weanlings the other day and have housed them for the 1st couple of nights, going letting them out tomorrow and was wondering would i dose them first, they are not looing so i would say they have been weaned a while, i know they should not be dosed for a few weeks after weaning cause it brings on stress.I will be housing them again for good in about 3 weeks , would it be best to leave them and dose about 3 weeks after housing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

will ivomec pour on not need to be used with a fluke product ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

barryoc1 wrote: »
    Warfie35 I am pretty sure Fasinex is not on the approved list for Dairy cows. (could be wrong though).

That is still current. Only albendazole or oxyclozanide for dairy stock (cows and in-calf heifers).

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

greysides wrote: »
    That is still current. Only albendazole or oxyclozanide for dairy stock (cows and in-calf heifers).
    its a total pain and pure hardship!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyone come across any special offers, this usually the busiest week of the year for dosing, lots of help around for the holidays?

Only special price I saw this wk was fasinex super (with levamisole) 290e for 5L and 500ml cheapie ivermectin 68e

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

whelan1 wrote: »
    its a total pain and pure hardship!

Totally agree, I'd say it's all bogged down in bureaucracy, and at a time when bulk testing is showing up lots of fluke antibodies in dairy herds........................

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

blue5000 wrote: »
    Only special price I saw this wk was fasinex super (with levamisole) 290e for 5L and 500ml cheapie ivermectin 68e

Nothing special about those prices. Ivermectin product price I have here is €40 for 500mls. Some of the mark ups are crazy. In local coop today they were offering a special price of €162 for a particular product for one day only, it was back up to €180 tomorrow. I can get the same product same size for €105.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Anyone give cattle a lice treatment when they house them? Was talking to a guy yesterday who does it and says that it leaves a lovely hair on weinlings for selling in spring. He runs the clippers on top of their back for 2 or 3 widths and then applies the lice treatment.

reilig wrote: »
    Anyone give cattle a lice treatment when they house them? Was talking to a guy yesterday who does it and says that it leaves a lovely hair on weinlings for selling in spring. He runs the clippers on top of their back for 2 or 3 widths and then applies the lice treatment.
    my dad said with the rain we have had the lice would be well washed out at this stage:)

reilig wrote: »

Best looking weanlings we had were after the vitimens from Mayo Healthcare..
    We used the ones that hang in the cows drinkers, changed every 2 weeks.. We put the spent ones in the weanlings drinkers in the slatted house, some sheen on them and no retained old hair..

Nothing special about those prices. Ivermectin product price I have here is €40 for 500mls. Some of the mark ups are crazy. In local coop today they were offering a special price of €162 for a particular product for one day only, it was back up to €180 tomorrow. I can get the same product same size for €105.

Are you in a group buying inputs bob or can you say where you are buying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

Anyone come across any special offers, this usually the busiest week of the year for dosing, lots of help around for the holidays?

thats not cheap-bought 3(three) 500ml bimectin for 85e earlier in the summer from buy-direct

Are you in a group buying inputs bob or can you say where you are buying?

nope, just my little self, try and do business with your vet, if theyre robbing make a few calls. My prices include phone consultation if I have problems so my prices wouldnt be the lowest. everyone has to earn their crust

the one product I have issue with price is anti-inflammatories they are a crazy price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

nope, just my little self, try and do business with your vet

We tend to buy what we need from our Vet, and looking about locally, he's keener than any I've seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

barryoc1 wrote: »

Yes barryoc1,you are spot on,used it last year,got on ok,thinking of using albex this year, one dose 2 weeks after housing,2 nd dose 8 weeks time

• Advertisement

we are using albex, i do all cows at drying off

whats albex costing per 5l?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Bodacious wrote: »
    will ivomec pour on not need to be used with a fluke product ?

Lads,

Can you advise me on this;
    Do I need a fluke dose in addition to the Ivomec Classic pour on?

I had the vet out on Saturday looking at a few weanlings with breathing problems,
    I had one with slight temperature & breathing, so she really didn’t know was it lungworms or pneumonia, :confused:
    DUOCYCLINE will help pneumonia but won’t kill lungworms & pour-on will kill worms but won’t help pneumonia, in the end she decided on Levicide + DUOCYCLINE, because Ivomec pour-on is too strong; I hope it works!

She was telling me the big issue for buyers is that weanlings are not being vaccinated prior to weaning; so it’s harder to diagnose & treat on the new farm.

CC

Lads,

Can you advise me on this;
    Do I need a fluke dose in addition to the Ivomec Classic pour on?

I had the vet out on Saturday looking at a few weanlings with breathing problems,
    I had one with slight temperature & breathing, so she really didn’t know was it lungworms or pneumonia, :confused:
    DUOCYCLINE will help pneumonia but won’t kill lungworms & pour-on will kill worms but won’t help pneumonia, in the end she decided on Levicide + DUOCYCLINE, because Ivomec pour-on is too strong; I hope it works!

She was telling me the big issue for buyers is that weanlings are not being vaccinated prior to weaning; so it’s harder to diagnose & treat on the new farm.

CC
    Yes according to this, in my non expert opinion you'll need a seperate fluke treatment
    http://www.compare.ie/80-821267-ivomecclassicpouronforcattle.htm

How about pure salt licks..
    Do many put them in with weanlings...

We always did when I was a young lad... not sure why though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭k mac

Best looking weanlings we had were after the vitimens from Mayo Healthcare..
    We used the ones that hang in the cows drinkers, changed every 2 weeks.. We put the spent ones in the weanlings drinkers in the slatted house, some sheen on them and no retained old hair..
    What vitamen was this called exactly and can it only be bought from mayo healthcare or is there other stockists do you know bbam ?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eddiek

what treatment do ye recommend at turnout for yearlins at this time of year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

eddiek wrote: »
    what treatment do ye recommend at turnout for yearlins at this time of year?

Nothing ! Unless there is lice in them let them run 3-4 weeks at grass to pick up some worms/eggs then use say an ivermectin product or a white drench

Advertisement