Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy s2 Critical Failure

Options
  • 04-11-2011 11:41am

Hi All,

I'm posting this to see if anyone has had a similar issue. My phone is 5 months old and has been working more or less ok. After just over 2 months, I went through a period of around 4/5 days where the battery would go from full to completely dead within 50 min to an hour. The phone would also be very hot whenever it was on, even if I wasn't doing anything.

This issue resolved itself, however 3 days ago started happening again. At the same time, the phone starting becoming unresponsive. I'd have to turn off the phone to end calls, and the screen has started throwing up 'torn' graphics, or just light. Earlier today the screen started to slowly go grey from the top slowly down to the bottom almost like burning paper.

I'm getting about 10 minutes of usage per restart so obviously not doing much on it now. Sometimes it's fine for an hour, others I can’t even log on without it crashing.

I have yet to do a factory restart as I have a lot of photos on the phone that I really don't want to lose. Do you lose photos with a factory reset?

Anyway - if anyone has had this problem it would be great to hear about resolutions. I figure I'm going to have to reset the phone or bring it back to the store. I have very few aps on the phone, all commonly used ones so I don’t think I have installed anything dodgy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

sounds like a wakelock issue, related to an app rather than the OS.
    ive had a few of these with different android devices.

if you arent able to determin whats causing it (mine were all exchange email related) you can try this app which will tell you whats keeping your deveice in a "partial wakelock" state

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.asksven.betterbatterystats&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Copy your photos onto pc via usb cable. Then factory reset. If problem persists then it might be hardware problem, get replacement.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Copy your photos onto pc via usb cable. Then factory reset. If problem persists then it might be hardware problem, get replacement.

I tried this but I can't get the device to sync - am trying to email them to myself but proving difficult given how regular it crashes.

You don't need to sync with kies. Just plug cable in and select mount usb, then copy files.

srsly78 wrote: »
    You don't need to sync with kies. Just plug cable in and select mount usb, then copy files.

Yeah I've also gone through USB settings and this also won't work.

I've tried to install the app mentioned below but I couldn't keep the phone working for long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

have you a spare battery that you could try?

subway wrote: »
    have you a spare battery that you could try?

I dont im afraid - the battery would hardly be causing all the software faults though could it?

Yeah I've also gone through USB settings and this also won't work.

I've tried to install the app mentioned below but I couldn't keep the phone working for long enough.

You don't need to go into settings. Just plug cable in, then click on the "usb connected" notification and select mount.

Advertisement