Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mess on the Northside

Options
  • 04-11-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

I walk down Ballybough/Portland Row/Amiens Street to work most mornings, and I've noticed that the footpaths are pretty much covered in dog **** nearly every day. I don't think I've seen paths in such a state anywhere else.

Why's it so bad in these areas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I walk down Ballybough/Portland Row/Amiens Street to work most mornings, and I've noticed that the footpaths are pretty much covered in dog **** nearly every day. I don't think I've seen paths in such a state anywhere else.

Why's it so bad in these areas?

perhaps because they have no parks or trees to do their business in, although fairview i not far away. local pride is a considerable factor.
    I believe I had a similar thread about the same area, which some took to be North side bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

I'm not bashing the Northside at all. I live off Clonliffe, and that seems to be fine. There's an awful mess on Fosters Avenue and that's just across the road from a big park, so not much of an excuse there

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Erne Street and Lime Street on the South Side are exactly the same.

It really is disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Its the same in every part of Dublin were people like to go for a stroll with the dog. For some owners to carry a doggie bag is beneath them. Report the areas to the council, they might put up some fine notices and send the dog warden around if enough people complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Litter and shabby areas is hardly specific to one side of the Liffey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

irishbird wrote: »
    Erne Street and Lime Street on the South Side are exactly the same.

It really is disgusting

I work on Harmony Row and the amount of shít on the ground around the place is absolutley vile. Don't get me started on when it starts to rain and it runs everywhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Ringsend has to be the scutteriest place in the capital though. When I lived there I had to literally tip-toe through certain areas of footpath to avoid stepping in dog crap. I couldn't believe how much there was and how it just continued to accumulate. Some dog owners are utter dirtbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Used to walk from Clonliffe past that area every morning

Local pride tbh OP
    It's not lack of parks, there are plently of green spaces within one km of these streets you've named

Sure da corpo will sort it in your best salt of the earth Dub accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Heh. Dublin City Copro should sort it :D

Or the owners could have their own dirt bags, instead of being them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

WindSock wrote: »

ah, but that would mean being responsible for something.

I feel sorry for people who live in the inner city. they may try to keep their garden clean but passers by just peg their rubbish into the garden.

I wonder wold signs like 'please **** in your own area" work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Sorry about this but had it occurred to you that it's not all from dogs, lot of drug s in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

No1J wrote: »
    Sorry about this but had it occurred to you that it's not all from dogs, lot of drug s in the area.

My comment still stands then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

My comment still stands then...

Patent pending. I can see it know, all the Erne st mob going around with "Baggies in their Trackies"

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Phibsboro along the canal across from the porterhouse, un****ingbelievable amounts of dog crap there. At the locks beside DesKelly carpets to be exact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Mill Street and New Row South near Cork Street area are terrible for dog sh*t everywhere. What I find really bemusing is that in maybe 3 cases on the streets at the moment, people clearly brought bags with them, cleaned up the dog mess, tied knots on the bag and then just dumped the bag on the street. That's a lot of effort to achieve the same result as no effort people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I brought my (American) girlfriend on a walking tour of Dublin. We went down the steps to St. Audoen's Gate, to be greeted by a trio of human piles, all laid neatly beside each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ringsend has to be the scutteriest place in the capital though. When I lived there I had to literally tip-toe through certain areas of footpath to avoid stepping in dog crap. I couldn't believe how much there was and how it just continued to accumulate. Some dog owners are utter dirtbags.

I live in Ringsend and i concur with this poster. The problem is not from dog owners from outside the area but dog owners that live in the area.

For example, the street behind me is a terraced old cottaged style street and nearly every second house has a lovely dog. Also on that street is dogsh1t littered on the paths despite the signs saying pick up dog litter, where did it come from? You guess where, the dog owners on that street, if only they cop on!!

Laziness is the core of the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

It's not a Ringsend or even a Dublin problem though. It's countrywide. Irish dog owners generally don't see what the problem is. When living there I remonstrated once or twice with dog owners whilst out running and they were nonplussed that anyone should think leaving dog mess behind them was wrong.

It needs a complete culture change, for the people to see it as anti-social - like with the drink-driving which used not to bother anyone. In Jersey they had the same problem with dogs many years ago but somewhere that changed - I don't know when and how. Now it is only the lazy minority who well know they're in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

I wasn't trying to have a go at the Northside at all. I've noticed that most people living in the area seem to take great pride in their gardens, houses, etc. It just struck me as odd that there was so much ****e around the place, and so consistently.

I mean, even if the dogs were to crap on grass or something, it wouldn't be so bad, but it's right in the middle of the footpath every time.

It's a shame that people don't have more pride in their area. Might sort out a few problems if they did...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

The stretch on North King Street from Smithfield up to Bolton St is scandalous too.
    I often wonder do people take their dog there specifically to have a ****. Outside that Centra is mankey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement