Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 4S Insurance

• 04-11-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Guys anyone know where to get full cover insurance to cover your iphone 4S, Vodafone won't cover as handset wasn't bought from them )-:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

carphone warehouse. its €13 a month

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

kceire wrote: »

€79 one off payment, seems way cheaper than any other quote I've seen. And up to 5 gadgets for that premium.

Are there any catches? Seems very cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Col200sx wrote: »

€79 one off payment, seems way cheaper than any other quote I've seen. And up to 5 gadgets for that premium.

Are there any catches? Seems very cheap

What do you want to be insured for? This policy only really covers theft from the glovebox of your car or from your home. Plus the excess its not worth it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

If your iPhone needs to be replaced it's 90% of the time going to be from dropping it/water damage. Who'd insure for this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Also doesn't cover liquid damage.

Try insure it with your bank and put it on you're house insurance. You have to weigh up the risk assessment here. If it's robbed from you're home it's not going to be the only thing in reality, so the excess isn't going to kill you. If it's robbed from anywhere else you're always going to be told you're negligent.

In reality, if you are going to insure it with a crowd like this then make sure there is cover for liquid damage and accidental damage. Otherwise don't waste your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jonevin

Fonesure 11.99 a month liquid damage aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Adding to house insurance is the best way to go, if you're in a position where you have house insurance.

Quick example:

Last year I put my iPhone4 and the wifes Nokia N93 on th ehouse insurance with NO extra premium.

The Noika got dropped into a cup of tea by the young lad, so we made a claim. The insurer just wanted a cert from a technician to explain if the phone could be repaired or if it was a write-off. The report cost €10.

The claim was processed really quickly, for about €350. The excess was €19, so that was taken off the claim amount.

When we renewed the house insurance this year, the premium went up by €7 because of the claim.

Result: for an annual premium of €7 and a technicians report for €10 we got a cheque for €331 within a few days of claiming.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

grizzly wrote: »
    If your iPhone needs to be replaced it's 90% of the time going to be from dropping it/water damage. Who'd insure for this?

My dads is insured with these guys http://www.cpp.co.uk/phonesafe/
    When you buy from eMobile, they recommend these.

9.99 per month (iPhone 4 16GB).
    Covers
    • Water
    • Dropping (accidential damage)
    • Theft
    • damage from attempted theft
    • home and abroad

excess of €50 or €100 if claim is within first 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭pah

Adding to house insurance is the best way to go, if you're in a position where you have house insurance.

Quick example:

Last year I put my iPhone4 and the wifes Nokia N93 on th ehouse insurance with NO extra premium.

The Noika got dropped into a cup of tea by the young lad, so we made a claim. The insurer just wanted a cert from a technician to explain if the phone could be repaired or if it was a write-off. The report cost €10.

The claim was processed really quickly, for about €350. The excess was €19, so that was taken off the claim amount.

When we renewed the house insurance this year, the premium went up by €7 because of the claim.

Result: for an annual premium of €7 and a technicians report for €10 we got a cheque for €331 within a few days of claiming.

+1 on this, paid about €45 to add engagement ring, 2 iphones and ipad for the year, herself dropped and smashed the iphone screen, was replaced by a new phone through apple at a cost of €215, covered by house insurance at no excess, also on all risks cover so doesnt have to be in the house will cover anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Waynegalway / Pah :

Sounds like you've had a good experience with your insurers-who are you insured with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Mines through a broker in Dublin called Glennons. I can't actually remember the insurers name, sorry! If I get a chance I'll look it up later for ya.

Pretty much ANY home insurance company should provide the cover and service that I have, though. They're all the same when it comes to small-ish claims really. Just check the Excess that they're selling you. Mine was €19, but on some policies it could be a couple of hundred, so it may not be worth it. You could ask them to do a special reduced excess for the phone, given its value, but then they will probably increase the overall premium a little bit. Remember that when I put the phones on the policy in the first place, there was no extra premium to be paid.. But some insurers may charge you a little fee as soon as you put the extra gadgets on the insurance. Even if this happens, I doubt it would be anywhere near as expensive as the €10-12 per month you'd pay to an independent phone insurer. As Pah said above, he was charged €45 for an engagement ring, 2 iPhones and an iPad. Scaling that back just for a single iPhone, I'd expect to pay €15-20 extra annual premium at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

I'm insured with Allianz Direct (house insurance), it cost me 4.50 for the year for my iPhone 4 for the year and 9 euro for the year for my iPad 2. No excess for a claim. Luckily I haven't had to claim yet. I did have the Carphone Warehouse Insurance for 13 euro monthly, but a work colleague with same insurance broke the screen on us and the excess was more than the cost of repair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I'm the same as the OP, bought my 4S through Apple so who's the best insurer for it? Haven't got house insurance so can't go down that road - who's the best iPhone insurer to go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

My dads is insured with these guys http://www.cpp.co.uk/phonesafe/
    When you buy from eMobile, they recommend these.

9.99 per month (iPhone 4 16GB).
    Covers
    • Water
    • Dropping (accidential damage)
    • Theft
    • damage from attempted theft
    • home and abroad

excess of €50 or €100 if claim is within first 2 months.

From their terms and conditions
    B) The insurance: who is covered

The holder of the insurance must be at least 18 years of age and live in Great Britain or Northern Ireland.

Advertisement