Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Face wash for 11 year old

• 04-11-2011 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Hiya was looking for recommendations for a face wash for my 11 yr old soon, his chin is starting to get one or two blackheads. He's a tall fella as well and think puberty is starting to kick in. Should I stick with something like aqueous cream or does he need something 'stronger' thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Try Simple face wash.
    It's gentle but affective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

And the Simple face scrub maybe twice a week would be really good for him. On his t zone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

He may need something stronger, clearasil maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

In my experience clearisil is worse than rubbish, really dried out my skin too!
    +1 for simple range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Lola92 wrote: »
    In my experience clearisil is worse than rubbish, really dried out my skin too!

Yeah I think that's the aim :confused: (I.e dry out the spots)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I found clearasil to be very harsh when I first tried it (age 10-11ish) but it was grand when I was a bit older. Maybe it's a bit much for very young skin :confused: Simple is a good recommendation, also neutrogena worked a treat for my acne, afaik they've an anti-blackhead product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

amdublin wrote: »
    Yeah I think that's the aim :confused: (I.e dry out the spots)

Sorry I should have clarified. It had absolutely no impact on my spots but dried out my skin on my face and made it itchy. So a big thumbs down here.

Seconded to above also the nutrogena scrubs are quite good also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

+ 1 for Neutrogena, really good range.

Clean & Clear is a very good range for skin that is on the oily side or teenage skin (and it's not too girly so a teenage boy is likely to use it!). They have some face washes designed for blackhead too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

+1 for Clean and Clear, they do a blackhead scrub. I use it every day and I haven't found it to dry my skin out.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

I like the St. Ives Apricot scrub, if he used that once or twice a week it'd help with the blackheads. I suppose the problem for a young lad is that he mightn't want to be using stuff that looks "girly". The Body Shop or Lush have good men's ranges that might help him. Actually any of the Lush packaging is good because it's just black and white. Neutrogena is very good too in fairness.

Maybe the packaging isn't an issue for him, but I know my brother and male friends would especially have been conscious of the packaging when they were younger (and probably a bit still!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

I used to have problems with spots (i'm now 28) IMO tell your son to avoid greecy food and to try drink more water and eat more fruit- this will help but more than likely he will get spots no matter what he does. I went on medication (minnocin and Roacutane) it was very harsh on my skin and it didnt clear them up completely- i eventually had to wait for them to clear with age.

I used Clearacil and loads of "home remedies" for years and i only found they dried my skin out and in fact made it worse.

I wish him the best through puberty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

forgot to recommend St Ives and Lush. St Ives scrubs might be a bit harsh so young though. I love Lush's Ultrabland cleanser, it's good for all skin types, and certainly man-friendly :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Try soap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

There is a cleanser and moisturiser I got in Boots called Cetaphil. It's not perfumed or anything like that and it's recommended for sensitive skin. Honestly, it is really good. My brother is 19 and he suffered a little with mild acne and I told him to use my cleanser and there was a drastic improvement in his skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭postgrad23

DON'T use soap on acne-prone skin! It is too strong, it strips all the protective layer off your skin and actually makes infections worse and makes it harder to heal. You have to treat it gently, like you would any wound.

Just use something mild like cetaphil or a creamy face wash. If he gets worse spots go to the pharmacist or doctor for medicated creams. Often products marketed for dry skin are better than those marketed for oily skin.

I really wish my parents hadn't been so ignorant of these matters when I hit puberty at 10, it would have saved me from permanent scarring. It's really good you're looking into it.

Advertisement