Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who don't read books.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

I hate reading books. Just not into committing to 300+ pages. I do read magazines (which I'm sure book-readers will probably be shouting that it isn't the same at your monitors). It just never interested me from school to present day.

I read mostly non-fiction but what i will say is:
    I find many authors can ****e on about stuff for over 300 pages when it could be said in under 200 pages.
    I like concision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

I can't imagine not reading. As a youngster who would never shut up, my mam used to say books were like an off button for me - I'm still the same now. If I get a good book I'll curl up for hours and stay up way past bedtime to read it!

Having said that, I'd say my brother hasn't read a book since school, it's just not his thing. He struggled with reading a lot, and now prefers other forms of entertainment, I wouldn't judge him.

For me, books open new worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

People who don't read only live one life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm sorry Dudess but it's hard to hear you from all the way up on your pedestal ;)
    Meh, I never said a word to indicate anything of the sort (whereas you did re yourself) - but kudos on the "I know you are but what am I" burn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont read a lot of books. I have a low attention span tbh. I found the best book i ever read was actually a pop up book on the facts of life...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I've never been big into reading books unless its a subject I'm really interested in. Just dont have the attention span. I still have an ok vocabulary and a fairly wide range of subjects that I have some degree of knowledge in.

I dont think reading books makes an individual smart. The ability to examine a book critically and maybe disagree with the author would be a better indicator

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Off topic :eek:

I just got a lovey email off Mo Hayder - don't know if anyone here is familiar with her stuff, saying my mail brightened up her day & she was delighted I loved her books

I do that, you know - find an address for an author who's books I've loved and drop them a note

i haz a stalk?! :eek::eek::eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shattered Dreamer

Dudess wrote: »
    Meh, I never said a word to indicate anything of the sort (whereas you did re yourself) - but kudos on the "I know you are but what am I" burn...

Don't mention it the comment was free :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

The act of reading for some is pretty annoying for some. I can understand that, especially if someone doesnt read so well. In fact, reading is a chore for many. So yeah, not liking the act of reading is fine. It doesnt mean they arent interested in content of sorts or dumb, they probably just hate the sustained digestion of word-eye-process-understand over and over.

• Advertisement

I get the impression that some people don't see images in their heads when they read. It's just Dickens droning on in Dickens' voice, or something. ( We all read dry academic texts like that). For most readers however, the narration collapses and we see the book as if it were a movie; we see the place, hear the dialog, internally draw the characters. Thats why movies sometimes disappoint, sometimes movies can't live up to our internal experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I used to read a lot but when you work all day, spend all evening feeding playing with and putting the kids to bed and only have a few hours to spend alone with your other half then spending the whole time by yourself reading a book seems a little anti-social.

Anyway it depends on what books you read. reading is generally good but Jordan's autobiography is hardly gonna expand your mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

99.9999% of books written are utter rubbish.

Giruilla wrote: »

you can't go wrong with the classics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Giruilla wrote: »

Its actually 99.9998% Tolstoy told me that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I'd credit reading with my love of English and writing and definitely it was the reason I decided to study journalism...but as time passes I've discovered getting through a few chapters has become more of a luxury than a daily thing to me.

It's a shame, but life is so busy that once my head hits the pillow I'm out like a light. I'd still count myself as a reader though even if it's not always in paperback-form. I spend a massive amount of time reading online articles, features, browsing forums and reseaching topics, mainly for my job but also out of my own curiosity. I find it keeps me fluent in my writing and it engages my creative brain in a similar way.

Nothing beats a good book though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Yahew wrote: »
    I get the impression that some people don't see images in their heads when they read. It's just Dickens droning on in Dickens' voice, or something. ( We all read dry academic texts like that). For most readers however, the narration collapses and we see the book as if it were a movie; we see the place, hear the dialog, internally draw the characters. Thats why movies sometimes disappoint, sometimes movies can't live up to our internal experience.

I don't see images in my head reading books, or ever.
    Something to do with my visual processing.
    I just don't have the ability.
    Like if I look at a cup and then close my eyes, I can not visualise the cup.
    I'm quite jealous of the people who see images actually.

And another thing - I hate fluffy stuff.
    Paragraphs and paragraphs detailing the scene and the smell with flowery fillers.
    Probably related to my lack of visual imagery too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Like if I look at a cup and then close my eyes, I can not visualise the cup.

I'm quite jealous of the people who see images actually.

Holy Moses!

That's really interesting. Reminds me of Object permanence but you must have developed some sense of that because you probably wouldn't be able to function without it.

And another thing - I hate fluffy stuff.
    Paragraphs and paragraphs detailing the scene and the smell with flowery fillers.
    Not always a fan of this either - I prefer descriptions of people rather than places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Holy Moses!

That's really interesting. Reminds me of Object permanence but you must have developed some sense of that because you probably wouldn't be able to function without it.

Ha! I have no idea!

Yeah, it's a pain.
    Because I'm good at drawing/painting etc...
    But I don't have the images in my head, so I just copy images.
    So then it's like is it really art if I'm just copying other's art ya know?

Sorry, I think I've gone off topic again!

Yeah, it's a pain.
    Because I'm good at drawing/painting etc...
    But I don't have the images in my head, so I just copy images.
    So then it's like is it really art if I'm just copying other's art ya know?

Wouldnay have a clue myself. Not artistically inclined.

Portraits are a form of copy though and they're considered art. I think.

Anyhoo, hijack over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

What do you read is one of the first questions I ask a person when I meet them. I then judge them accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

What do you read is one of the first questions I ask a person when I meet them. I then judge them accordingly.

you sound fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I absolutely love reading. I've got a wish list of books for christmas already .... I always try spy on what other people are reading on the Luas and on the bus to get inspiration for my next book. I get so much pleasure out of it, and will do my best to instill the same love of reading in my (future) kids. It's a great escape from reality!

I've just installed 'MyBookDroid' app - spent an hour scanning in all my books, it's great! :)

Hello Sir.

Howdy do.

I say, what do you read when you do?

I like the works of Katie Price I must say. A woman of substance is Katie.

:O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think people who read fiction are no better than people who watch TV, it's all nonsense at the end of the day. I only red something factual, like manuals or educational books. If your not learning something I don't see the point.

Nah. You've got to have escapism. And that's what fiction is. I makes life fun!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

You can't put real life experience in a book.Humans are much too complicated.Books have simple cameos that most people can understand.There is a limit to what goes into a book.'Packaged reality' prepared like a salad that's how i see them.Big Business though and now with that Clown in the Arus there are new hopes in the breezes for all the media He is their champion.Nothing i ever experienced resonated with what i read in books like pop songs..not real life.A weeks reality in your favourite novel would sort that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

T
    I have to say that the back of a 1980s cornflakes box is my favourite reading material, but if i still have a few spoons left I'll probably move on to the ingredients on the side. hmmm folic acid

You really learn about the people when you eat their food and read the list of ingredients but that message is lost on most people though.A special insight into the soul of a nation i believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't really read books at all. I don't have much of an attention span and I find it very hard to get comfortable just holding a book open. Even so I'd say I'm reasonably intelligent even if I'm not the most articulate. I don't think people who read more are inherently more intelligent and I dislike how snobby some avid readers can be, especially when they're obviously dumber than I am.
    --LOS-- wrote: »
    I wouldnt judge anyone for it, not having an interest in music is a way bigger deal imo.
    I wouldn't have much of an interest in music. I listen to it every now and then but I don't find it interesting enough to follow/know bands, buy CDs or go to concerts. In fact most of the music I listen to is something I came across incidentally, I don't generally seek it out. Why is it considered so strange that music not be much of an interest to somebody? I understand that a lot of people like it but is it really considered impossible to imagine somebody not being particularly interested?

paddyandy wrote: »
    You can't put real life experience in a book.Humans are much too complicated.Books have simple cameos that most people can understand.There is a limit to what goes into a book.'Packaged reality' prepared like a salad that's how i see them.Big Business though and now with that Clown in the Arus there are new hopes in the breezes for all the media He is their champion.Nothing i ever experienced resonated with what i read in books like pop songs..not real life.A weeks reality in your favourite novel would sort that out.

Badly written and wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

It all depends on what you read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I read but I find a lot of the classic works.....boring. These days, I usually read Star Trek paperbacks and historical fiction.

I got a copy "Surface Detail" by Iain M. Banks when I was in hospital last year and I absolutely loved it. I'm also trying to get my hands on as many Boris Akunin books as I can, I really like his Fandorin series.
    Freddie59 wrote: »
    Nah. You've got to have escapism. And that's what fiction is. I makes life fun!

Definitely!

I sense there are people here from publishing...

I sense there are people here from publishing...

conspiracy forum -->

I read but I find a lot of the classic works.....boring. These days, I usually read Star Trek paperbacks and historical fiction.

I got a copy "Surface Detail" by Iain M. Banks when I was in hospital last year and I absolutely loved it. I'm also trying to get my hands on as many Boris Akunin books as I can, I really like his Fandorin series.

Definitely!

I generally don't read Science Fiction as I find the writing pretty turgid, but Surface Detail was impressive. The description of Hell would shock Dante.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I've always loved reading - I was that nerdy child who'd be reading during breaktime in primary school (which stunned my classmates, one girl actually came over to me at one point and said "Eh, it's breaktime! BREAKtime. You're supposed to use it to have FUN?!"). I remember a teacher in about 4th class making us draw our ideal bedroom - I drew a library :o:P

These days I don't have as much time as I used to but I read mystery novels, crime fiction, a bit of fantasy, biographies, satire and a bit of politically-charged stuff too. For me, it's kind of escapism, but infinitely better than the cinema (which I do like too!).

People who don't read at all... well, that's their decision. I just don't like it when they judge you for reading! (like my classmates back in the day :P)

All children should be encouraged to read as much as possible though. I had a much higher than average level of English in school and I think it's due to the fact that I read so much. I credit my current love for foreign languages to reading too!

And to the people who say you can't learn anything from fiction: what fiction are you reading?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Yeah seriously and another common enough one would be 'i don't read' and i'd say most people who write that are writing it implying that reading isn't cool not that they just don't like doing it

"Don't read much" is another one you see on Facebook.

At one stage I was tolerant towards non-readers but when I see blatant pride in ignorance like that I just think "you people are c*nts".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I read voraciously and extensively - and always have - but I judge people solely on their intelligence and/or personality, not on their reading list, or indeed their grammar, education or lexicon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

The answer to why you post such complete and utter rubbish has just become apparent to me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

At one stage I was tolerant towards non-readers but when I see blatant pride in ignorance like that I just think "you people are c*nts".
    "Don't read much" doesn't exactly come across as prideful.

I hate most MEDIA.I'M entitled to an opinion no???Vested interests here i suspect.

I hate most MEDIA.I'M entitled to an opinion no???Vested interests here i suspect.

<-- Conspiracy forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Davidius wrote: »

It depends on the person - the profiles I've seen are people who are known to me and think that reading is baaaad. Some say "don't read much", others say "hate reading", "what's a book", "wat's a book" etc

People who read put spaces after punctuation.

This message has been sponsored by...

News International and Lockheed Martin.

Be yourself - buy our stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

You can't put real life experience in a book.Humans are much too complicated.

You're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

What age are you if you don't mind me asking?

Davidius wrote: »
    nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Yeah I don't see anything wrong with that - I've seen "**** books!!!" though from non children...
    Reading's not for everyone but that kinda stuff is as bad as looking down on people who don't read IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

stovelid wrote: »
    I read voraciously and extensively - and always have - but I judge people solely on their intelligence and/or personality, not on their reading list, or indeed their grammar, education or lexicon.

When someone feels the need to say 'I read voraciously'... I'd be immediately inclined not to believe or trust them...

Yes you are. But the paranoia you should support.

• Advertisement
Advertisement