Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small tiny mites in laptop

Options
  • 04-11-2011 2:02pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Just looking for a bit of advice here. I have recently left my netbook on the bedroom floor for a while (usually turn on each morning before getting up to check emails etc) and recently noticed tiny pin specced creatures crawling around the screen keyboard. They are really tiny and would probably not be noticeable except on a black surface.
    I know they are likely to be harmless, they are too small to be bed bugs luckily and I don't notice bites but they are irritating to look at.
    I plan on blasting the keyboard/air vents with compressed air and cleaning the keyboard/screen (I read its probably the bacteria they are after) but what would be the reccomended solutions to the issue. If I had to open the machine up I'd be a bit pissed off but I'd do it, as I said its just annoying seeing what looks like dust particles crawling along the screen/keyboard.
    My camera phone probably wouldn't be good enough to get a photo, could they be dust mites?

Cheers,

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like dust mites alright. By their size they should be just about on the verge of invisible.

Most likely they're actually coming from your body (hair most likely) onto the laptop. There's plenty of stuff in keyboards to keep them going for a while. You can blast the laptop but they'll probably come back. Try hoovering the house at least once a week, and washing your bedclothes on a regular basis in a 60 degree wash.

Also if your house is particularly humid, a dehumidifier can help.

Dust mites don't bite aren't aren't actually harmful, but they can trigger an allergic reaction in some people. If anyone in the house has any respiratory problems, working on removing the mites could help them too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

seamus wrote: »
    Sounds like dust mites alright. By their size they should be just about on the verge of invisible.

Most likely they're actually coming from your body (hair most likely) onto the laptop. There's plenty of stuff in keyboards to keep them going for a while. You can blast the laptop but they'll probably come back. Try hoovering the house at least once a week, and washing your bedclothes on a regular basis in a 60 degree wash.

Also if your house is particularly humid, a dehumidifier can help.

Dust mites don't bite aren't aren't actually harmful, but they can trigger an allergic reaction in some people. If anyone in the house has any respiratory problems, working on removing the mites could help them too.

Cheers Seamus, Thats an interesting thought alrite, as it would have been very near to my bed, I do hoover regularly enough, luckily not illergict and live on my own so alls good there. I'll give it a few blasts with compressed air and clean it up anyways, at least there harmless anyways, just annoying!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I saw on TV one time that our computers have insects living in them

Mark

Advertisement