Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony lower content activation from 5 to 2.

• 04-11-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭

If you can't tell by the Title Sony are lowering the amount of activations from 5 to 2, any PSN DLC or games will now only be usable on 2 systems at a time.

There will be a simple way to deactivate these rather than being required to do so on the console (not helpful after a ylod) or calling Sony up with proof of a new system that will replace your now dead system.

Some reports say that this new limit is per console (2 PSPs, 2 PS3s, or 2 Vitas), but this is not offically stated anywhere and it should be taken that it is concurrent 2 activations of each piece of content.

Sony will lower PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable downloadable title activations from five to two on 18th November.
    All games bought before that date will be unaffected, according to the PlayStation blog.
    Activation and deactivation is currently handled on each particular device.
    To make this easier, Sony will be opening an account management website where you can activate and deactivate devices. When wasn't mentioned.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-04-psp-and-ps3-game-download-activations-decreased

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've 2 consoles always on the go and often have the same content on both, as long as you can deactivate one if it breaks then i can't see any issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Gonna be so annoying for dlc etc :(

Sharing the cost between 5 people >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I've 2 consoles always on the go and often have the same content on both, as long as you can deactivate one if it breaks then i can't see any issue.

deactivating is easier than before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

AdamD wrote: »
    Gonna be so annoying for dlc etc :(

Sharing the cost between 5 people >

Which is the point of it......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Which is the point of it......

Didn't say anywhere that is wasn't, just said it'll be annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

WHAT??!!? I have to pay full price for something that someone spent months working on???

WTF IS THIS ****?!

/sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Thats a shame for households with more than 2 ps3's.

Had three myself up until recently ( 40gig got ylod ) and liked the fact that I could have all the games,dlc on all consoles and use it on anyone of them without having to activate/deactivate a console every time I wanted to use the games/dlc that I paid for.

Now I know it only effects games/dlc from the 18th onwards but for me it's a move in the wrong direction and takes away for me what was a major selling point of the ps3 in the first place.

I was planning on replacing my 40gig ylod with a new slim as a Christmas treat to myself but I think I'll just leave it at two .

The move to make activating/deactivating consoles easier is a good move and long overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I was surprised that 5 was allowed to begin with. It's an easily abused system they had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

is a pretty stupid system IMHO..

They should allow download and play on as many consoles as you want..
    HOWEVER, they should limit the number of PSs running the game at the same time to 1.

They have it this way to prevent singleplayer piracy, but you got to think they've gone down the wrong road and should be able to stop that with use of the actual disc, then use a proper cloud mechanism like steam or others to limit online play of the same content..

Would get around this whole mess altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Noooo :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

DemoniK wrote: »
    HOWEVER, they should limit the number of PSs running the game at the same time to 1.

What about people who share games and DLC but then go offline with their PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    What about people who share games and DLC but then go offline with their PS3?
    I think you would have to download a system update first a reckin, most bad thing come in system updates..

DemoniK wrote: »
    is a pretty stupid system IMHO..

You can download it to as many systems as you want, you just can't run it on one that is not activated with the account which you will be able to do easily, to control it like you suggest work require the ps3 to be online to run even offline games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

47 euro for BF3 on play.com, 70 euro on PSN .... a 23 euro markup, which I think is a bit much.

Even 2 downloads of that (at 35 quid a pop) seem a bit steep, especially if you got a ylod or something and lose the game (like I did when I lost my 60gb to the ylod a couple of months back ... tbh I still have an original 40gb chugging away which I get wary of when I hear the fan going full whack during sessions).

I assume the price of the PSN versions of games will come down significantly ... that or the sales will drop off completely!!!

Hygro wrote: »
    47 euro for BF3 on play.com, 70 euro on PSN .... a 23 euro markup, which I think is a bit much.

Even 2 downloads of that (at 35 quid a pop) seem a bit steep, especially if you got a ylod or something and lose the game (like I did when I lost my 60gb to the ylod a couple of months back ... tbh I still have an original 40gb chugging away which I get wary of when I hear the fan going full whack during sessions).

I assume the price of the PSN versions of games will come down significantly ... that or the sales will drop off completely!!!

The 360 prices are just as bad and that activation system is more restricted, the price is due to problems that would arise with shops who sony and ms need for hardware sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Proper order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Why would you download it twice in the first place? Or are you talking about the illegal issue of game sharing ?

If your PS3 goes tits up, all of the content you purchased or gotten for free is downloadable again on your new system... if you remember the login details of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

AFAIK games over 30euro can not be shared at all... Well this was my understanding otherwise people would defo abuse the system buying the likes of BF3 and splitting it 5 ways..

All games, no matter what the price can be put on 5 systems (well up to friday anyway).

The funny thing is that I never heard any of this "illegal" stuff till last week, when my posts were highlighted by moderators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Well if you read the terms and conditions, you would see that game sharing violates these and is a ban-able offense. So if you are caught, and there's been plenty that have, your system would be banned from all online activities. Note that I did not say just your account would be banned, but your console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ah, it was good while it lasted! Fair play to them still allowing 2, thats all I need, usually.

PSN games sales to fall through the floor from today onwards!!!

PSN games sales to fall through the floor from today onwards!!!

So, 1 sale meant 5 people got the game.

If it's no longer the case how many of those 5 may either buy the game themselves.

Went onto the new part of the Sony entertainment network today, shows up with all my systems, setting for phones and tvs etc.

There's a nice deactivate button there too, so if you've ever had a system die or you sold it go on and deactivate it.

Also nice easy set-up for sub accounts, parental control, and wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Varik wrote: »
    Went onto the new part of the Sony entertainment network today, shows up with all my systems, setting for phones and tvs etc.

There's a nice deactivate button there too, so if you've ever had a system die or you sold it go on and deactivate it.

Also nice easy set-up for sub accounts, parental control, and wallet.

I really like that new deactivation feature, and the way you can see exactly which systems are linked to your account. I didn't know if I had deactivated an old PSP from my account before, but I do now, and I can now delete the PS3 that died last year from my device list. Also, the way you can monitor your transaction history from the site and redeem voucher codes is really useful. :)

I really like that new deactivation feature, and the way you can see exactly which systems are linked to your account. I didn't know if I had deactivated an old PSP from my account before, but I do now, and I can now delete the PS3 that died last year from my device list. Also, the way you can monitor your transaction history from the site and redeem voucher codes is really useful. :)

You can't deactivate a console at a time, you need to cancel them all online at once.

Varik wrote: »
    So, 1 sale meant 5 people got the game.

If it's no longer the case how many of those 5 may either buy the game themselves.

With the extortionate prices of new release PS3 titles ... (i.e. 70 for Battlefield 3, as opposed to 50 in the shops ) I'm reckoning none of the 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

You can't deactivate a console at a time, you need to cancel them all online at once.

If you select a device on the device page, you have the option to deactivate that particular device.

Only problem for me is I've 4 PS3's and 4 PSP's on my account and I can't tell which is which. they are all called "My PS3 system", "My PS3 system 2", "My PS3 system 3" and "My PS3 system 4" which is pretty useless

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

RedXIV wrote: »
    If you select a device on the device page, you have the option to deactivate that particular device.

I tried that and it said something like: "can't do it on a PC - you must log into account management on system and deactivate from there".

I did have the option to deactivate ALL my PS3s, which I did.
    I have reactivated one of them, will get to the other tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dohcturbo

Whats the difference between activated and deactivated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

dohcturbo wrote: »
    Whats the difference between activated and deactivated?

basically, if your account is activated, on a device, you can play your PSN purchases on that device. You could activate your account on any 5 devices previously, that has now been scaled down to 2.

Once you deactivate an account on a device, you can no longer access the PSN content associated with that account on that device

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Has the scaling down from 5 to 2 devices actually taken effect yet? I'm just confused about that since there still seems to be 5 slots for device activation, according to the media section on the site. :confused:

RedXIV wrote: »

Only problem for me is I've 4 PS3's and 4 PSP's on my account and I can't tell which is which. they are all called "My PS3 system", "My PS3 system 2", "My PS3 system 3" and "My PS3 system 4" which is pretty useless

De-active all and just activate them 1 at a time with a new name given to each.
    With the extortionate prices of new release PS3 titles ... (i.e. 70 for Battlefield 3, as opposed to 50 in the shops ) I'm reckoning none of the 5.

Was referring to them going to buy it in a shop now they can't gameshare.

As far as I'm aware, you can still have 5 systems activated. I activated a 3rd system last night without any trouble.

Sony lowered content activation on purchases made on or after the 18th, from 5 to 2. If you purchased anything from the PSN prior to that date you can activate it on 5 systems still. Anything from 18th however will be limited to 2 activations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ah, that's good; I had downloaded content on the systems of friends who I haven't seen in years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement