Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small new business

Options
  • 04-11-2011 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi
    I am looking to set up a small business selling from home via a ecommerce website. I want to sell cricket gear but my turnover will not be very much as I wont be holding much stock and most items will have very low value.

I have registered the business name with CRO and I have a company building a website for me.

My question is...do I need to pay tax on the items I sell as the are not worth very much and the tax payable each year will be very little.

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

yes you will have to pay the tax on everything you sell no matter how small amoount you get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

You don't pay income tax on what you sell but profits, and you will be far below the threshold to have to register for vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

jjll wrote: »
    yes you will have to pay the tax on everything you sell no matter how small amoount you get

As below.. well below the threshold for paying tax.. incorrect information.

As below.. well below the threshold for paying tax.. incorrect information.

everything you sell 21% has to to be paid in tax to government so aprentice 100 euro sell 21 euro has to go to government you are one giving wrong info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

everything you sell 21% has to to be paid in tax to government so aprentice 100 euro sell 21 euro has to go to government you are one giving wrong info

Please stop giving out wrong information. Unless the op plans on selling more than €75,000 worth of goods, then he does not have to charge VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Please stop giving out wrong information. Unless the op plans on selling more than €75,000 worth of goods, then he does not have to charge VAT.

No they are not giving out wrong information, you are talking about two different things. The apprentice is wrong for the same reason, both of your comments are referring to VAT while jjll is referring to Income Tax.

The thresholds for VAT for supply of goods is €75,000 as you said and they arent required to register for VAT until they go over that.

For income tax they would be liable for 20% on any profit made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Axwell wrote: »
    No they are not giving out wrong information, you are talking about two different things. The apprentice is wrong for the same reason, both of your comments are referring to VAT while jjll is referring to Income Tax.

The thresholds for VAT for supply of goods is €75,000 as you said and they arent required to register for VAT until they go over that.

For income tax they would be liable for 21% on any profit made.

"Everything you sell 21% has to be paid in tax to government".

If he sells something at a loss does he still have to hand over 21%? The 21% mentioned would imply that he was talking about VAT. If he's talking about income tax then you both have the rates wrong.

Income tax rates are 20% up to 32,800 and 41% thereafter for a single person (other rates for married etc). That doesn't include PRSI or income levy. These rates would be applied to any adjusted net profit made.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The point was jjll didnt refer to VAT in their post so telling them they are giving out wrong information was incorrect.

OP at the end of the day you don't file tax returns for the current year until October of next year. The reality of it all is if the business is going to be making tiny profits then the amount you are going to have to pay is minimal unless you are selling a lot of products. I would imagine by the time it comes to filing your tax return you will either have decided you aren't making enough money for the time you are investing in it and gone on to something else or you will owe a small amount as income tax.

So just keep in your mind that you will owe 20% on your profits and set that aside as you go along or make note of it in a speadsheet and focus on getting the business up and running at the minute. Your main concerns should be making a viable business out of it and generating sales and profits at this stage.

right this is getting on my wick if its items you are selling then you have to pay tax on it to government ...... they way some of ye are talking no wonder country is in crap that you dont pay taxes ...... no matter what a person buys apart from child clothing or baby food which incase people think i am talking out of my arse check tax website... if you buy an item for 1 euro a percentage goes to tax man i apolagise axwell for comments now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

right this is getting on my wick if its items you are selling then you have to pay tax on it to government ...... they way some of ye are talking no wonder country is in crap that you dont pay taxes ...... no matter what a person buys apart from child clothing or baby food which incase people think i am talking out of my arse check tax website... if you buy an item for 1 euro a percentage goes to tax man i apolagise axwell for comments now

It appears to me that you have no idea how a business operates. In the initial year, the OP will not HAVE to register for VAT as he will not reach the threshold of €75000.00 turnover. All the taxes he will pay is on the product he will buy from suppliers.If he is lucky, he will make a small profit. His net profit will be smaller again, so it is very unlikely he will pay any Income Tax as his allowances will be greater than his liabilities.
    If you mean that any tax, be it Income Tax, VAT, PRSI or USC, then, literarily, you are correct. But most business understand tax to be of the Income kind. It is generally understood that the other taxes are part of business transactions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement