Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Campus?

Options
  • 04-11-2011 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Just came across this image. I remember a few years back there was a big new campus development plan unveiled. The new science hub looks different and the new computer science building doesn't seem to be there. The new entrance looks great although I have no idea what the big new glass building is. New accomodation building perhaps?

Just wondering is it still going ahead in a phased plan or has it being shelved completely?!

http://www.ucd.ie/campusdevelopment/announcements/240707_gateway_large_06.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Heh, not much hope in seeing that in the next 20 years I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

It looks like the Eloi are trooping across the bridge so they can be eaten by the Morlocks. Who lives in the glass sphere, I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

Heh, not much hope in seeing that in the next 20 years I'd say!

That UCD Gateway or whatever it was called was a bit of a mess. High-density low-quality redbrick student flats, put under a curved roof so it all looked nice on a model. Even the lake was cut by half to make up for the lost green space. Oh look- a Calatrava-esque bridge as well. How very modern!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Davidmator wrote: »
    Just came across this image. I remember a few years back there was a big new campus development plan unveiled. The new science hub looks different and the new computer science building doesn't seem to be there. The new entrance looks great although I have no idea what the big new glass building is. New accomodation building perhaps?

Just wondering is it still going ahead in a phased plan or has it being shelved completely?!

http://www.ucd.ie/campusdevelopment/announcements/240707_gateway_large_06.jpg
    Pretty sure the Gateway project's been shelved, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Raphael wrote: »
    Pretty sure the Gateway project's been shelved, yeah.

http://www.ucd.ie/gatewayproject/index.htm

It promised a cinema.

Which is being taken care of in the new student centre.

An extra large carpark

Which is currently planned near the water tower.

More accommodation/ hotel facilities.

Which is apparently planned as part of Science Block East.

A transport hub

Which is now planned to be developed beside Sports Centre.

So it has become pretty much redundant by now.

Also there was planned office space and an architectural statement neither of which, thankfully, are in the works.

• Advertisement

Srsly? Not like they need to use that space for, y'know, Science facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Raphael wrote: »
    Srsly? Not like they need to use that space for, y'know, Science facilities.

http://www.ucd.ie/campusdevelopment/announcements/newsciencecentrebuildingachievesbreeamexcellentdesignrating/

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Well, look on the bright side. You're not based in a building the college supposedly is contractually blocked from painting because the architect believed in 'the beauty of concrete'...

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

http://www.ucd.ie/gatewayproject/index.htm

Have a read of the planning permission for east on the DLR County Council (ref
    D09A/0362). There's nothing in it about accommodation.

I would read what's on the campus development site as that the work of ugrad/pgrad/postdoc/staff will be accomodated there, along with fancy facilities for events, something maybe similar to TCDs Science Gallery?

As for the big Gateway building, forget it. What we will probably see is the landscaping/outside aspects (i.e new lake in front of Eng), the new ring road in front of centra is already in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

L wrote: »
    Well, look on the bright side. You're not based in a building the college supposedly is contractually blocked from painting because the architect believed in 'the beauty of concrete'...
    Scott Talon Walker?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

stop wrote: »
    Scott Talon Walker?

Eng block rather than the Agriculture building but yeah, same firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Can't wait for this new science building, the current one (bar the drug discovery building) is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

._. wrote: »
    Can't wait for this new science building, the current one (bar the drug discovery building) is terrible.

The drug discovery one is a new building. All of Science is getting slowly built section by section.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

The drug discovery one is a new building. All of Science is getting slowly built section by section.

Yeah, I know.. I was just saying I'm looking forward to seeing the new one asap O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane

When is there going to be a new arts block?! That thing is an eyesore of biblical proportions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Why haven't they / didn't they build a multi-story car park? Didn't they add parking in the last number of years? Still completely under capacity though.

Also, more public transport should go there, i.e. a metro line to St. Stephens green. The buses are a nightmare.

These are all shoulda, woulda, coulda projects now though. Thanks Bertie.

Advertisement