Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my line capable of faster?

Options
  • 04-11-2011 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Eircom,

Just signed up for NGB, and received router and set everything up last night.

We signed up for the "up to 8mb" package.

The speeds we are getting (I have run loads of tests on both Eircom's site and speedtest.net) are 2.5mbps down and 0.3mbps up.

This is less than we were getting with our last provider, so I was just wondering if you can tell me if this is a temporary blip, or it's all our line is capable of?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi Eircom,

Just signed up for NGB, and received router and set everything up last night.

We signed up for the "up to 8mb" package.

The speeds we are getting (I have run loads of tests on both Eircom's site and speedtest.net) are 2.5mbps down and 0.3mbps up.

This is less than we were getting with our last provider, so I was just wondering if you can tell me if this is a temporary blip, or it's all our line is capable of?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hello whatawaster,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

Just a few notes to bear in mind beore testing your broadband speed; Take a look at the following, which should be helpful:

Firstly, quick maintenace check is advised :
    * Powercycle the modem:
    o Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    o Wait 30 seconds
    o Switch the modem back On
    o Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

* Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV box(s), or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection.E.g : long private telephone lines. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.

* Test your broadband speed with just one single Computer /PC). All other PC's should be shut down temporarily while testing i.e : Computers /laptops /smartPhones /wireless equipment including Games Consoles: (Xbox(s), Playstation(s), etc.

Are you connecting wirelessly? http://bit.ly/WirelessCheck

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?

* These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.

Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?

* Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable.

If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you will need to contact eircom's support department for further assistance.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

*NGB (Next Generation Broadband) allows for uncongested and consistent usage (downloads) even during peak times. NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases) dependent on what your broadband phoneline pre-qualifies for.
    ADSL itself is rate adaptive technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance (or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for). Please see www.ngb.ie for more information.

Advertisement