Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Glass

Options
  • 04-11-2011 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Would ye STOP smashing bottles and pint glasses all over the estates? As well as fu**ing up everyones tyres, there are kids playing on the roads and footpaths. I just had to cough up €60 for a new tyre and I'm pissed off but if kids cut themselves because of some drunken piss head acting the prick, it says a lot about what UL are attracting these days. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Try the vandalism thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ULChieftain

Broken glass isn't vandalism, it would be more like a litter issue?

I hate the broken glass all over the place. Though it does encourage walking to college!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tonka_92

Eighteen:

The number of distinct areas of broken glass I passed on my way into UL from Briarfield on Tuesday

That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

Me and a mate saw a bunch of student competing with each other to see who could throw their bottles furthest down the Plassey Road from the corner near the Lodge. Glass everywhere. Students all over the place and no-one gave a toss. About 10 mins later a squad car passed by but the lads couldn't be identified in the crowds. They thought it was "mad" to get away with smashing glass. Gob-****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Agreed, I hate broken glass everywhere too.

I do a lot of cycling, and as a result, a lot of puncture repairing too :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Broken glass isn't vandalism, it would be more like a litter issue?

I hate the broken glass all over the place. Though it does encourage walking to college!

good lord you really aren't very well informed at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

It's not confined to the estates either, I cycle to Corbally to work and it's all along the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Try living in the centre of town. There were three prostitutes obviously plying their wares on the corner of Catherine Street and Roches Street earlier. At least they've moved down the street, I suppose.

And yeah, broken glass as well. It's not quite the Kristallnacht but there's plenty of it about of a Sunday morning. Broken glasses and bottles are indeed litter rather than vandalism.

prove it? how do we know you're not making these stories up? any pictures of the smashed glass? how do you know students did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

prove it? how do we know you're not making these stories up? any pictures of the smashed glass? how do you know students did it?

Unlike yourself, Sid, the evidence is there for all to see ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I always wondered why pretty much all alcohol is in glass bottles. I mean apart from aesthetic reasons, it just seems to be a kind of contradiction. Drunk + fragile...result?

High strength alcohol will leech plastics eventually if stored for long periods.
    Believe it or not, plastic containers are not much cheaper to produce than glass. And to the best of my knowledge are still easier /cheaper to recycle.
    There are millions of bottles of beer sold and consumed yearly in ireland, only a tiny percentage end up on the pathway. It's people that litter that are the problem, not the material the litter is made from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Regardless though,
    I'd rather cycle over a plastic bottle than shards of glass :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

We were walking to dominos last Wednesday night and as we got to that gap out by the hurlers in elm park a glass bottle smashed off the wall infront of us. If one of us had walked ahead by 2 seconds it would have probably hit one of us.

And a wednesday night is enough to prove it was a student. I forgot to ask to see his ID to be sure tho :(

The path from hurlers to birefield is a minefield of broken glass

Trying to think of ways to combat this...

Thought about having a sort of cleanup group set up but that's not really solving anything in the long term and it's a pretty big task to be carrying out.

Patrols around the area aren't really viable either. Hmm.

Cydoniac wrote: »

Thought about having a sort of cleanup group set up but that's not really solving anything in the long term and it's a pretty big task to be carrying out.

Patrols around the area aren't really viable either. Hmm.

Rockett last blog post has raised the issue of glass
    Glass!!!!!
    The pathways to/from the colleges are littered with broken glass, remnants of walking with glass bottles to and from the various areas on/off campus - IT HAS TO STOP!!!. I have personally gone out on a weekend to clean up after these breakages and its getting ridiculous. The county council refuse to clean it up and the SU are not obliged to. I am holding off getting volunteers to do community clean ups because they are not a babysitting service. They are not here to clean up after students. Residents are gonna take us to the cleaners should one of their children slip and fall on broken glass, if one of your bikes gets a puncture or if any of you fall and injure yourself. Its down to you just put it in the bin - gwan I’ll give ya a puppy!

http://csoulsu.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Jester252 wrote: »
    The path from hurlers to birefield is a minefield of broken glass
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    Minefield? Combat? Should we call in the army?! :pac:

Decryptor wrote: »
    Minefield? Combat? Should we call in the army?! :pac:

We would need the man power to clean up the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Jester252 wrote: »
    We would need the man power to clean up the place

Would the man power even be enough? Remember that there's a lot of broken glass on the pathways. Not trying to exagerate or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    Would the man power even be enough? Remember that there's a lot of broken glass on the pathways. Not trying to exagerate or anything.
    Well you don't suggest woman power do you? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I live at the top of Briarfield,
    So have to pass through the Cedars plus past The Hurlers,
    For the quick route to college.
    To be fair, I find it hard to count how many patches of glass there are,
    Not due to the mass amount...
    I'd go as far as saying there are about 5 patches-ish...
    However!
    It is only because these before, dispersed, patches that were present before, have amalgamated into streams of glass now.
    Debated buying shoes with thicker soles due to it...
    Now. I expected mass amounts of drinking when I came here,
    Inside and outside nightclubs, house parties and the like,
    But the amount of glass I pass through on a day to day basis actually confuses me.
    In my mind, the only way they can produce so much glass over such a vast distance, is if they brought wheelie bins around with them to distribute its contents to nearby hard surfaces.
    I tend to overlook things but frankly this is a disgrace.
    No thought whatsoever to anyone cycling or driving by, and the potential risk to anyone who might fall, and after a few too many, the custom is there, can be catastrophic.
    That's my summarised views on the situation anyway. :P

Woman Power? Heaven forbid! Sure the girls wouldn't be breaking bottles in the first place.... My backside. They're the worst, falling around in high heels half pi ssed. Just wait until one takes off her shoes to walk home and slashes the soles of her feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Woman Power? Heaven forbid! Sure the girls wouldn't be breaking bottles in the first place.... My backside. They're the worst, falling around in high heels half pi ssed. Just wait until one takes off her shoes to walk home and slashes the soles of her feet.

It's happened. I had to walk someone home from the lodge, and she wouldn't wear her shoes. Big mistake, thanks to the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Only way to sort this kinda thing out is a stronger Gardai/community officer/authoritarian presense for a few weeks, catch a few clowns at it, come down on them hard with massive fines.
    Might set a precedent.

Paddy had a good point there. I mean, I'd be willing to give up a few hours to help clear up the glass, but if that became a regular occurence, there would be people who'd think "Ah it's grand, someone else will clean it up" and there will never be an end to it. It's just finding a way to stop people from doing it, even less excessively.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bibbels

That's a bit harsh, considering the fact that most of my Friday mornings used to be spent cleaning up the glass behind the family car and on the footpath so that the wheels of our car weren't punctured, or to try and avoid the kids that walk through the likes of Milford Grange and Elm Park to their primary schools causing themselves serious harm if they fell. I don't see any where where it's said that it wasn't girls breaking bottles but if you think back to the first few weeks and the M&Ms walking about it was usually 50/50 girls and guys, and all of them were picking up the bottles and rubbish.

You're right about the mnms. In fairness they do a great job picking up other people's rubbish. If UL or the SU or whoever foots the bill could have a few on on Tues and Thurs nights it would be a great help. And we might not have as many flat tyres or kids / students cutting themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Isn't there CCTV everywhere? Surely you could go on a spree, fine the ****ers doing it and scare the shit out of everyone else.

• Advertisement

A kid of about 5 or 6 years old tripped while running on the footpath and fell on glass in Avilla today. She was with her Dad who picked it out of her knee. Not pleasant I'm sure. :mad:

Advertisement