Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas cancelled?

• 04-11-2011 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all - just wondering would anyone like to comment on the recent letter from the Guards to the students of CIT (see attached) for an article I'm writing - it explains that several of the traditional pubs that students attend on CIT Christmas day have given an undertaking not to facilitate students this year, based on an objection by the local residents' group. In effect this now means neither the college nor the local pubs support the event.

If you're up for a quick interview in person (cup of coffee will be your reward at CIT!) just drop me a pm, equally if you want to comment here please do so below or via pvt message. Some q's to get the brains in gear!

Do you think it is an unfair move or a wise one?

Do you care one way or the other?

How do you feel it reflects on you as a student?

Many thanks

edit: attached now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

As a student in cit , i can honestly say the last few years went overboard big time, it was dangerous to drive through the area around the btown bar cause of people lying down on the road and staggering across it .

Just cause the college and SU have nothing to do with it doesnt mean its cancelled, but it was getting too much i can see why the residents object to it.

It will just move to pubs in town anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Daveaherne

they make take our pubs, but they will never take our christmas day. its going to happen if they like it or not. students will have house parties or find other pubs. I feel that every student goin to cit should have at least one christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

Last year was my first year in CIT and i was disgusted at what i seen. Normally i would be up for a laugh but people made the place look like ****. There were people fighting on the street. I seen a guy been kicked in the face. A girl so drunk she passed out on the pathway, along with the puke, blood and piss on the pathways. Why should people have to live near that?! It was in no way the majority but a few people can and did ruin it for everyone (eg... its canceled)

Do you think it is an unfair move or a wise one?

Its a wise move. The day made a show of the college and its students. its a wonder no one has been seriously injured.

Do you care one way or the other?

I wasnt on planning on doing anything that day so it doesnt bother me in that respect.

How do you feel it reflects on you as a student?

It makes everyone look bad. For the week after last year all i heard was about how UCC students hijacked it and what not. Thats a load of bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Corknewshound

Do you think a student patrol initiative would make a difference in CIT, like they have in UCC?

(http://campus.ie/news/college-news/ucc-students%E2%80%99-union-relaunch-student-patrol-initiative-for-freshers-week)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Daveaherne

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVE CIT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭dunnaman93

Beering on shall commence at 12 noon in Parchment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Do you think a student patrol initiative would make a difference in CIT, like they have in UCC?

(http://campus.ie/news/college-news/ucc-students%E2%80%99-union-relaunch-student-patrol-initiative-for-freshers-week)
    Hi news hound. My experience of xmas day: I was a matrure student minding my own business. I wanted to make the 10 min walk to the bus stop without incident as per usual. However on xmas day a drunken CIT student decided to grab me between the legs several times on the way to my stop.

And yes I am male, I informed the student after the second grab that I would take action and hurt him if he were to to make a further attempt. His friends held him back as such. He was lucky that i did not just throw a simple punch to end his night, maybe I should have but fortunatley for him this was not my way.

I could have easily punchecd him down, there are plenty of people out there that are less tolerant and a lot less educated than I am. These people wouldn't think twice about tossing a student into the river without a second thought.

Beered up students should realise this before they take the plunge and in some way should keep themselves safe as such'

• Registered Users Posts: 8 drakkardnoir

*snip*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Yes they were Right to Stop it...

the first year about 3 years ago, people were getting into Fights with people living in the Area. the CIT was like the city dump students walking around camps while drinking. etc.

the year after that CIT canceled Christmas day in CIT, so the B-Town had their own one.. happy hour i must say that was 100% as bad as the year before.. people Windows were broken, fights with people walking their Dogs, people having S**x inside CIT camps.. yes... where the bus stop is...

not to forget that if you are picked up by the Cops then for get a J1 card as you have some hope of getting into a America/NZ/ Auz so is it all worth a piss up i dont think so..

SO the cops told B-town if they do have a give a Happy hour to Students then they will shut the pub down and get a court order to stop it from opening again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I think it was a silly move on the part of CIT to cancel christmas day. It should have been kept on camps with entertainment where it's at least some bit civilized. All CIT has done by canceling christmas day is make it "forbidden fruit", and push these students out on the street.

A small minority of students caused problems in previous years- a problem many colleges are having eg WIT xmas day and galway rag week. I think it's a disgrace that the rest of the students are punished for the sins of the minority. I, for one, look forward to christmas day ever year as it is my final chance to let loose and have fun before the hard times in my course kick in with deadlines and exams.

I have celebrated every christmas day so far (bar one when I was away). Each time there was a good few of us, all friends or at least friends of friends. There was the odd person who drank too much but that was as bad as it got. Not once over the years was there ever a fight, complaint, garda presence, arrests or any other type of problem. It's a real nanny state attitude that if a few people are eejits with drink that we should stop all students from enjoying themselves. People need to cop onto themselves but I don't think that it should be at the expense of other students.

First the cancelled christmas day....
    And i didn't mind because I didn't like christmas day....
    Then they came for rag week............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Well this might be after the event, but the xmas day in CIT to me as it stands was and is an actual event that students enjoy. However from a personal point of view I made a point of marking this day in my calendar to avoid coming into CIT. The residents of the area at this time must be marking this day as well!

I don't think that it should be banned, in fact it cannot be banned as it is probably an incredibly great release and a great party for the students, it is an tradition that will most likely carry on.

In a profesional sense I imagine that CIT won't and will not accept responsibility for this event as it stands, for obvious reasons. But in some way CIT does have a social responsibility whether they like it or not.

Education is the 'business' of CIT. Due to the natuer of this business it includes social responsibility as well. Simply banning an event is not enough. Active management of the traditional event is more in order.

Advertisement