Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite 3 Chords on Guitar

• 04-11-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi i am learning the guitar and am wondering what peoples favourite chords are.
    What can you play most begineer songs with?

Thanks in advance

Spades

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

it depends on the key song. for songs in the key of G, the progession G,C,D and Em for a chorus/bridge section is very common. knowing those 4 chords and being able to change between them you can play literally thousands of songs.

like wise for songs in A, the progression would be A,D,E and Fm

• Registered Users Posts: 7 a1993h

My favourite chord progression is Dm for 2 bars, F for 1 bar then G for 1.

Also learn the jimi hendrix chord (7#9). Sounds great with blues, funk and the like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

Have favourite chords doesn't make really make sense to me since its all relative to key.

When I'm writing, it mostly starts with single string movement and I just use the reach and tension in my fingers to feel my way over the board. Then I'll add harmonic intervals. I'm well used to the basic chord shortcuts so I can play them up against the nut and I'm familiar with the intervals so the question of where to put your fingers is mostly about reflex. I sometimes revert to the barred shapes if its particularly uncomfortable or vice versa. If you're not feeling something add an interval or even notes that are not harmonic intervals for interesting mixups.

Alot of the time I just feel out intervals and tune open strings up or down to get interesting chords that you can't really play in standard or I'll use open tunings from the getgo. DADGAD is a common one where everything you played in standard on the G, B and high E strings comes out in suspended 4ths.

If you are really stuck for ideas, its sometimes worth trying alternate tuning so I start from basic chord shapes I'm comfortable with and tune the guitar to get intervals or tones I find interesting. Then the rest involves you having to feel your way around the fretboard again because the entire map of the fretboard that your fingers have memorized in standard has been completely wiped out. If you find yourself playing the same thing over and over and you are stuck for ideas it works well. It also allows players with limited technique to play highly non standard chord shapes just by using simple chord shapes you learn in standard that produce totally different sounds in alternate tuning.

I don't think about the theory much when I'm doing it though. Its mostly about getting your self "set", finding the right poise and then just using your fingers to reach whilst you pick up the ebb and flow. If that makes any sense. I have serious problems where thinking about theory automatically makes me think and play with rigidity, so everything starts to sound the same. I'll accidentally play something which sounds like a riff or lick I've heard before and I'll start to sound exactly like that band. Its really annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 benji111

Hi i am learning the guitar and am wondering what peoples favourite chords are.
    What can you play most begineer songs with?

Thanks in advance

Spades

Hi Spades

here are my favourite chords:

1 = b major
    2 = d add 9
    3 = c add 9

thanks ,,

benji111

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

The E to an E7 is really easy and quite an emotive one sound wise in my opinion. But, if you are just learning, it really has to be G,C,D and the E minor. ALthough if you really want to get good, I would ignore the chords, practice scales like a madman/woman and focus at LEAST 50% of the time on what your strumming picking hand is doing.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement