Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are best hairclippers for head shave?

• 04-11-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi folks? Finally sick of moronic barbers shaving my head wrong! No matter how many times I tell them they still f**k it up! Only happens here for some reason? When I'm abroad they always get it right?

I like a straight forward number 2 head shave. Keep the locks and the neck line natural etc. I bought a clippers some years ago and they did not suit as the 2 blade cut too long for some reason? I have been told Wahl are good clippers? Argos currently stock "Wahl clip & trim 2 mains hair clipper" priced at €31.99.

Any thoughts on these clippers? Or any other recommendations? Appreciate all feedback folks as I have had enough of **** barbers. Go raibh míle maith agaibh!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Yes, Wahl are the best (in my opinion) but there are different levels of quality. This one here is a professional standard and should pay for itself countless times over its lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Yes, Wahl are the best (in my opinion) but there are different levels of quality. This one here is a professional standard and should pay for itself countless times over its lifetime.

Thanks! I was actually looking at the Wahl Super Taper in Dublin yesterday. They seem to get good reviews by everyone online. May have a winner here! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Gingko wrote: »
    Thanks! I was actually looking at the Wahl Super Taper in Dublin yesterday. They seem to get good reviews by everyone online. May have a winner here! :)

yep, I've looking for a decent clippers for myself and this is the one I'm going to get. No more barber costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I've used several brands for more than a decade and one point I'll make is that a rechargeable one is handy as you can use easily in the bathroom. If you are just going for the one blade length all over you can stick your head over the bath and shear away, makes clean up much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I use a Wahl Super Taper trimmer. I find it great. Shaving my head with it now for roughly a year. I posted about it before..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66545256&postcount=11

Very easy to self shave too, which I do, even for a cabled trimmer. One downside though, is if you're fussy about the weight.. it is quite hefty. There's no getting around that.

A lot of the bricks and mortar retailers take the Michael when it comes to pricing replacement 'hair clipper cutting guides'. I needed a replacement 'Number 2' and the cheapest I could find was €4.99, which is a bit rich for a small piece of plastic with no packaging. You might think about sourcing replacements of that sort, online.

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    I use a Wahl Super Taper trimmer. I find it great. Shaving my head with it now for roughly a year. I posted about it before..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66545256&postcount=11

Very easy to self shave too, which I do, even for a cabled trimmer. One downside though, is if you're fussy about the weight.. it is quite hefty. There's no getting around that.

A lot of the bricks and mortar retailers take the Michael when it comes to pricing replacement 'hair clipper cutting guides'. I needed a replacement 'Number 2' and the cheapest I could find was €4.99, which is a bit rich for a small piece of plastic with no packaging. You might think about sourcing replacements of that sort, online.

You mentioned the number 2 is a bit long? this still the case or was it just that the blades were not aligned correctly?

Gingko, well, the '2' is marked with: 6mm. Just my ignorance, I expected the '2' to be just a tiny bit shorter.

Suits me fine though, that's what I use.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Gingko, well, the '2' is marked with: 6mm. Just my ignorance, I expected the '2' to be just a tiny bit shorter.

Suits me fine though, that's what I use.

This is actually important to me as I usually get a number 2 head shave every month! I want to get the same number 2 as I do in the barbers so is it any different to the barbers no.2? :confused:

I can't say, because I don't know what *you'd* expect from a blade 2.

It's exactly what I would get from my Barber. Any shorter for me and I have an uncanny resemblance to Private Gomer Pyle, which I don't really need.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I finding a good hair trimmer very hard to come by. I zero blade my hari at least once a week and I would love to get a professional grade clippers with a very tight 'zero' setting and if possible cordless as I shave in the bathroom and I want to be able to travel with it. Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

As a 20 year veteran of the shaved head brigade... avoid cordless ones of possible , the internal battery gives up after a while resulting in you using the cord anyway , plus thye never have enough power for a tidy cut , I use the bathroom also but just run an extension cord to the bathroom.
    cordless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Ive been doing this for over 25 years
    Oil yer blades buy wharl and be grateful that you can buy electric

This is what I first used

hand_hair_clipper.jpg

I finding a good hair trimmer very hard to come by. I zero blade my hari at least once a week and I would love to get a professional grade clippers with a very tight 'zero' setting and if possible cordless as I shave in the bathroom and I want to be able to travel with it. Any recommendations?

I too was a zero blade once a week man, after a while I sought the "very tight" setting you mention so now Mach3 the head twice a week, lots of folk reckon that I don't actually wet shave it at all, if you have dark hair and wet shave the head at night the following morning the little bit of growth makes all the difference.

I have the ole male pattern baldness but am not looking forward to it spreading and being totally bald.

Anyway, I reckon it's worth you trying the Mach3 approach to see does it suit you, much easier than the hair trimmers too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Ive been a Barber for 14 years and i would reccomend the Wahl Super Taper.
    They are easy maintained and cleaned and if kept well and oiled regularly they will last you ages.

Now the #2 Problem you are having i think i can help with. The Clipper guards that you get with the Clipper are made completely of cheap moulded plastic. They go on the head and "click" into place and can only be removed by clicking the safety latch at the back. I dont like these type of guards.

http://www.ozgdesign.co.uk/pool/m/glamourpuss/attachments/1785-wahl-clipper-guard-number-3-9mm.html

The ones i use are Plastic with metal "Wings" that keep the guard in place. In my opinion this type of Guard is alot neater than the Plastic ones.

http://www.theglamourshop.com/wahl-clipper-black-metal-comb-attachments-grades/

However they dont stay locked inplace and shaving your own head with them will be risky because the guard can pop off if pushed in the wrong direction.

Hope this helps.

Also not all Barbers are Morons. Your possibly just going to the wrong ones. Working with the public so closely every day can get to you over the years. Next time try to expain to the Barber what ive said here. Especially if hes over 30 years of age. Not many young Barbers have enough pride in there work to source the best gear and simply use the guards in the box.

Marty

Advertisement