Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

too old to kung fu 1

• 04-11-2011 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hi again

first too old to kung fu is play on words, like too old to rock. so lighten up.
    second kung fu means hard work. it doesn't mean martial arts. wu shu means martial arts.
    third, i did not offer anything for sale. so i don't see the reason for shutting the tread down. are we already living in the minority report world where you get punished for possible future crimes?
    i have started this thread to make people aware of a common problem that faces most people from urban areas who are starting to train any martial arts today. they are too old, too week, to deformed, too stuck to be able to fallow the traditional training regimes without injuring themselves beyond repair.
    Traditional martial arts training regimes were originally designed to be taught to peasants and solders. people who were already supper fit, strong and supple. so they were able to sit in a Wing Tsun fighting stance without injuring their knees, because their glut and thigh muscles we strong enough to support them. But people starting today are not those kind of people. They don't work in fields all day. They sit at the desks working with computers all day. They can't open their quas without ripping their psoas muscles apart. Their sacral joints are completely stuck. They can't generate power from their stomach, because they don't know how to breathe from their stomachs. They will instead try to generate power from their lower back and injure their spine. Or worse they will try to twist their body to the side, without being able to open and close their qua, and will either rip their knee ligaments or worse their spinal discs. How many people here were first taught how to stabilize their knees, so that they can keep them over their second toe at all times, before they were taught how to do stances or walk, or kick? As a consequence, how many people here had knee injuries?
    As the Chinese teacher had said, you need to undo the damage first. You need to bring you self to a level where your muscles (all your muscles), your ligaments and your bones are strong enough, and your joints are open enough. And then you start with martial arts training. From my experience I various martial arts, this is not done, and dangers of doing things things wrong are not emphasized enough. This is why so many people have to stop training when they are in their thirties. They get knee and back injuries that basically make them crippled and unable to continue training.
    The reason why I have mention the massage, acupuncture, osteopathy, is that a lot of times the muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones are so stuck, that no amount of stretching and relaxation can do any good. And trying to push the body to stretch and open will definitely lead to injury which will then bring you straight to physio table or if you are unlucky to operating table. So all I said was its better to look for help before you get injured.
    The reason I listed the food supplements is because a lot of people don't know that lack of certain food elements will greatly impact their training. How many people know that you can actually rebuild your knee cartilage by using glucosamine and omega 3 oils? And so on. Its important to balance your nutrition, because bad nutrition means bad bones, ligaments and muscles. It means lack of energy, it means slow recovery after injuries and heavy training sessions, it means stiff joints and muscles. It means poor senses, reaction times and awareness.
    What I didn't get a chance to write was the main part of the thread. I was planning to post videos and descriptions of core exercise sets that can help people:
    1. build core body strength,
    2. open their joints
    3. strengthen their ligaments and tendons
    4. stabilize and at the same time open their hips, knees and ankles
    5. open their chi channels before their training so that they can energize their bodies
    6. close their chi channels after their training so that the chi they have generated does not escape and stay stored in the body

I am doing this because I want to help people not to repeat the same mistakes that I have made and others have made, and which almost ended my martial arts career. If I can help one person not to go through horror of thinking that he will never train again, then this will all be worth it.
    So this is what I was planning to do. It will take time to make all the films and exercise descriptions. So be patient. Hopefully I will be able to post at least one set a week, but life is unpredictable.
    Comments are welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dlr1

to start here is the video that prompted me to start this thread

http://www.youtube.com/user/hejinghan#p/u/1/fZXJ5tBHWbI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

This is the martial arts and self defence forum. Please stick to discussing martial arts and self defence. If you veer off into discussing nutrition, alternative medicine or anything not directly related to martial arts, this thread will be closed.

Please proof read your posts more thoroughly in future. Capitalise the first letter of each sentence, watch your punctuation and try and divide your ideas into paragraphs. Right now your posts are very hard to read, and if you won't take the time to make them legible, don't expect anyone to take the time to try and understand them.

hi Doug

martial arts are much more than punching and kicking. any sportsman that takes his sports seriously, takes care of his nutrition. and that does not mean going on a piss after after your training.
    nutritian is even more important for martial artists, as their training is very often more demanding than in most sports.

Every real martial art, and particularly any traditional and internal martial art, incorporates massage, bone manipulation, acupressure, chi kung energy manipulation, meditation...
    Even styles like Thai boxing, traditionally incorporated chi kung, Thai massage and meditation as essential part of the training.
    So these so called “alternative therapies” are, or should be part of martial art training.

• Advertisement

Everyone already knows that keeping healthy is important.

If you want to discuss health and fitness there is a forum where you can do that.

You have already had one thread locked, if you don't stick to the subject of martial arts, I will lock this thread as well.

If you want to discuss this further you should do so via PM.

ok you are the boss. can you tell me what discussing martial arts means, and what is can talk about, because i don't want to have this thread locked as well. you can post this as a private message if yuo want. not trying to be smart, just trying to avoid conflict.

I said to use PM.

I'm locking this for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement