Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old town!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

That's going back a little bit before my time. Would I be right in saying then that the original Quinnsworth shop then became their toy store in the mid 80s? Maybe it sold other stuff as well but all I was interested in were the toys :D My mum definitely bought me a Lolo Ball in there. Oh to be as aerobically fit now as I was then...:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I too remember the old Quinnsworth on Patrick Street & The Ritz Cinema on the High Street.
    Anyone remember the remains of the old workhouses where the Midland Health Board offices are on Arden Road (just before O'Brien Park).
    Old band hall & The DeMonfred Hall near the Priest House.

Walking across the frozen canal during the Winter of 81/82.
    Walking across the dry canal during the scorching summer of 85ish.

Ah, the open air swimming pool out the Church road on the left.
    Remember some girl going sunbathing on the high diving board one year before it was filled.
    Think she rolled over in her sleep, bad outcome anyway.
    Shamie McDonagh (local mad lad) in the see through y-fronts chasing the kids around the pool.
    Oh happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I too remember the old Quinnsworth on Patrick Street & The Ritz Cinema on the High Street.
    Anyone remember the remains of the old workhouses where the Midland Health Board offices are on Arden Road (just before O'Brien Park).

Walking across the frozen canal during the Winter of 81/82.
    Walking across the dry canal during the scorching summer of 85ish.

Ah, the open air swimming pool out the Church road on the left.
    Remember some girl going sunbathing on the high diving board one year before it was filled.
    Think she rolled over in her sleep, bad outcome anyway.
    Shamie McDonagh (local mad lad) in the see through y-fronts chasing the kids around the pool.
    Oh happy days :D

Yeh I remember my cousin walking the canal in 81/82. That was bitter cold, but not for long. He also walked the frame of the footbridge when they had closed it off and there were no boards on the bridge!! Lots of mad yokes did that !!

The hot summer was 1984> i remember because we'd just bought a farm and had to pick the stones!! Cycling our bikes with a battery radio in a cardboard box on the carrier listening to KC & the sunshine Band 'Baby Give it Up'. I will never forget it! Great memory. Played it today http://youtu.be/OE-r-Tbg9g0 JUly 83 says the video but it got a lot of airplay in 84. Why wouldn't it ?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

Rabidlamb

That was known as the county home. They had a room at the back yard, where tramps could sleep for a night.They were giving a slice of bread and a cup of tea. It could have being built as an old "poorhouse" But that I dont know for sure. The main part, in the 70s, was I think like an old folks home.

I did Karate in the DeMonfred. That was where the CBS had their first school, before moving to High Street. (before my time, but I know people who went there)

Anyone remember the discos on a sunday afternoon in the GAA centre, or am I dreaming?

Great memories, keep them coming

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

Have a faded memory of smoking in the corridor outside the maternity unit in the Hospital and getting an earful from Sister Paddi circa 1979.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 caseyjones01

great thread guys and gals. As a person who grew up in tullamore in the seventies and eighties this thread brings back very fond memories of the town I loved so well. Still get to visit but it has all changed since my time.

From the kilbeggan bridge. Remember Tommy Glynns garage, O Dowds pub and the sweet shop that was under in then replaced by a bookies. Then you had Dolans pub, brackens sweet shop and then Jimmy doyles and a launderette I think. Across the rd was kellys where dad got his petrol in the beetle and then you had old texas and remember the video shop beside there and we would go in looking for ones under the counter lol. then there was a bun shop and mizzonis chipper. On the opposite corner was the co op and reillys nxt to that. Outside reillys was a phone box where we used to go to ring our Aunt in Dublin.i think there was a shop called tyrells also on that street where dad used to buy a bottle of lemonade and bring it home to us . A little woman used own it.And across the rd gorrys and the butchers mahons I think

Remember egans shoe shop on William st and the little man who used to fix shoes, I was friendly with one of the egan lads so used to play ball in the yard, what a novelty. Then across the rd was mrs Dunne, the sacristans wife who used make the birthday cakes. Conways wool shop and gleesons across the rd and gilsons on the corner. Nxt door to thsat on patrick st you had the oAsis bun shop where mum would take me after shopping in five star. Opposite there was McFaddens and on the corner near the bridge hse was a shoe shop i think, real posh place and over the road billy champ and the way he might look at you.
    Brilliant memories, I could go on and on. the tanyard and mangans bikes or wher the old renault garage was where the bridge centre is now, I think brolly owned it. And the fair the 1st friday of each month.
    And I only forty this september

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The Scawgeeen

There was a record shop close to Talbot's sweet shop run by a man called Willie does anybody remember the name of it ? He used to sell hippy looking stuff like sheepswool handbags and the odd kaftan and leather wrist bands and heavy metal skull rings and of course the records of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I remember it alright, was it just called the Record & Tape Centre? That name rings a bell for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The Scawgeeen

It could have been, that sounds familiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

That was on Patrick Street, right? If that's the one, I used to go in there to browse around as a teenager and would be asked within 30 seconds if I was looking for anything in particular. (Not to be asked stupid questions by a shop assistant perhaps? :D). When Heartbeat City came along, it was sheer bliss. Less of your country and Irish tat, better selection of music for the young people and shop assistants who left you alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

I think we're all in agreement we're talking about the same record shop, (the 'Advance Records' of it's day in Tullamore :eek: ) where all the 'cool' people hung out. Looking through rose tinted glasses I don't remember too many punks on Patrick Street though.....skinheads yes, I can remember seeing a fair few of them in the late 70's in Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

The old handball alley near the Whitehall bridge and the weighbridge in Market square.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Heavy's cattle yard in Chapel Street. Being late for school in the brudders one morning cause of Gleesons burning down. Walking under the canal at the barney. Auld fellas cutting the grass on the canal banks by hand with scythes. The hordes descending on the old church for the solemn novena run by the limerick priests. Fr. Fallon roaring AMEN when he wasn't happy with the enthusiasm of the congregation's responses at mass and someone shouting AWOMEN back at him once. Mass in the Tech Gym while the church was being rebuilt. Eddie Kidd's motorcycle stunt show in O'Connor Park. Josie Daly's old shop with a step on the customer's side of the counter for kids to reach the sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

superblu wrote: »
    The old handball alley near the Whitehall bridge and the weighbridge in Market square.

God....i forgot all about the weighbridge:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 erronagh

anyone have memories of kilroys store back then staff or any memories i spent time back there when all the world was young and wonderful we dined in john blacks house on arden road for lunch cost 5 bob i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Jimmy Carters chips, couldn't beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

cymbaline wrote: »
    The shop at the top of High Street that used to have a tractor on the roof. Can't remember the name of the business.

Tullamore Motor Works. :cool:

Advertisement