Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing a car to the UK

Options
  • 04-11-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Does anybody know that if you bring an Irish registered car to the UK how long can you drive it there before you have to get it reregistered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

6 months it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

Thanks for that.I went into the "looks like" link you gave me and it seems that if you become a UK resident you have to reregister the car straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bizzo

I could be wrong but i dont think there is any urgancy. I have been working in wales for 2month now with my car over here also. Im working for an irish company with over 70irish lads all with cars here. Heard of no problems yet. Just have your car insured and a current tax disc and you should be fine.

But again thats just AFAIK.
    Does anybody know that if you bring an Irish registered car to the UK how long can you drive it there before you have to get it reregistered?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

Are you working at construction?Is that company you are working for looking for any workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bizzo

No chance im afraid. Quite the opposite really! Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Trained Monkey

Have all those lads insured their car in the Uk or working off Irish insurance? Would be great if you could let me know as I'm in a similar situation and am wondering do I need to insure car in Uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

Just a word of caution, I was working in the UK years ago, took my car over on Irish Plates and Irish Insurance, had a fender bender over, I sorted it out myself, but the Insurance co. would'nt have covered me if I was there continuously over 3 months, might have changed now, but worth checking out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... might have changed now, but worth checking out.
    It hasn't changed AFAIK. The insurance company must be informed you are taking your car out of the State and the duration of the absence - the usual story - check the T&Cs in the policy booklet.

Advertisement