Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourist base - Ventry versus Castlegregory

Options
  • 04-11-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Bit of a strange one this but I have some friends from abroad who are asking for advice on whether to base themselves for a week or so in Ventry or Castlegregory on the Dingle Peninsula. They're outdoorsie type folk who are into walking so from what I can see there's probably not much difference between the two places (both with beaches and mountains nearby), although you rarely hear of folk going to Ventry. I presume the beach there is nice, although it looks a lot shorter than the ones around Castlegregory. Would anyone out there who's familiar with both places put one over the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Beach-wise etc there are far more walks available around Castle - the whole north coast of the peninsula is very suitable as far as Cloghane and after that there's Mt Brandon, Glenteenassig, Loch a Duin etc.
    That said, when are they coming and do they want any sort of night entertainment etc? Ventry, being closer to Dingle, has far more to offer in that line, while at this time of the year Castle is very (very, very) quiet most evenings.
    Overall, walking wise Castle is better, but the general scenery etc would not be as dramatic as Ventry, Slea head etc --- but its only a 30 min drive over the Conor Pass from one to the other so.......why not do a bit of both?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ventry is a good long beach. There's plenty walking to be had, from Sliabh an Iolair (Mount Eagle)to stretches on the West Kerry way.Personally,I'd opt to be based in Dingle town and then you can do both Castle and the Slea head walks and have plenty choice of pubs and food

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Thanks for the good feedback folks - they're actually coming over just after Christmas! Might be some cold walks ahead for them!! Anyway, I'll pass on the comments and let them decide for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I would go with Castlegregory you are still close enough to go for hikes on the extreme west and if you wanted something a bit different you could head off to killarney

say if for some reason there were huge gales and rain you might not go walking on the dingle peninsula but a 45min to an hour drive away you would be able to walk the black valley which might not be as windy you could definitely walk the gap of dunloe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If they are coming in Dec/Jan the Conor Pass may not be an option. Castlegregory might be a bit dead and alive at that stage, as Ventry may well be,I still say to go for Dingle town,at least you can to the pub etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement