Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about E-Readers

• 04-11-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of getting an e-reader mainly for studying, IT books, magazines etc.

Normally when reading these books I find I need to have the book in my hands - I've been trying to study from a laptop screen of late and it's painful

I know e-readers such as the Kindle are low-lit so it's easier to read but I'm just looking for some feedback on exactly how easy it is to read off them.

Would you recommend them for heavy reading?

Also, I'm assuming you can zoom on them? Like an Adobe document I'd have on for an IT book - the graph may be very small - is it possible to enlarge it etc?

Thanks in advance for responses :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I find e-book readers brilliant and have been using them for a couple of years now for general fiction books.

However, for reading text books and studying or reading technical books, I would still much prefer to have the actual book in hand for making notes or to easily and quickly search back for areas I need to go over quickly or flick between widely seperate pages to clarify things. Also zooming is a pain in the arse and disruptive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

General reading, text, off them is DEAD easy. Very easy indeed and not even a worry at all.
    If its technical PDF's with graphics, your better off with an Ipad or the larger size Kindle - less zooming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

As an avid reader, in my opinion you cannot study off an eReader or an iPad. I have both and I can learn nothing off them. Whatever the human connection with books is, I just learn better from them. Technical reading is much better suited to the actual book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Thanks for the responses lads appreciate it :)

Advertisement