Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^^

<laughs hysterically....and now reapplies mascara...>

:D:D:D

Oh my god....I honestly can't stop laughing!!!

Really....I can't....

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, October 23rd, 2013

Run plan: dress rehearsal w/ 3 miles at MP

Well, originally I had intended on trying to get this started at the approximate time the race will start on Monday, but work's a b*tch right now and I had to settle for a lunchtime session. Off with the work clothes and on with the race gear and before I knew it I was skipping down the lane with good thoughts floating in my head.

I'm not going to drone on today (too much to do....and I haven't even packed!!!!! And I leave tomorrow!!!!! :eek: !!!!!!), but suffice it to say I felt okay - not fast as a cheetah, and not light as air - but okay. I went from house to town to Greenway to town to house....and was targeting an easy feeling for the warmup and cool down while trying to keep that pace around 8 min/mile......and was targeting 7:30 for my MP miles (MP pace adjusted for Garmin inaccuracies ;)). Of course with pace being pretty important for this session my Garmin decides to only show current pace at that exact moment. Good god!!! Who even uses that display???!!!! So, once again I had to guess at pace and run by feel. All in all, job done in pretty accurate and disciplined fashion...but perhaps the most important information gleaned from this session was that I am definitely NOT going to wear the top I had on today in the race. Love the top, but by the time I hit mile 5 I was starting to be reminded of how I do not want to feel in the race - constricted and hot.

Whoop whoop....5 more sleeps. !!!!! :eek::):D

Warm up: 8:11, 8:06
    MP miles: 7:30, 7:28, 7:30
    Cool down: 7:58, 7:54, 5:22 (8:09)

Actual: 7.66 miles in 1:00:01 for an average pace of 7:50 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck on Monday DD, and when it suddenly gets very bright in McGrattans after don't be alarmed. It's just me and my pale white skin after walkin in. Do say hello!! ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Safe travelling.
    See you Monday after you nail it :cool:
    Roll on the beers :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Safe trip DD and the very best of luck on Monday. Have a great race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Just catching up after a long while.

What no NY ? Well so much for all the cake and chocolate I had laid on for you :(.

Have a good trip to Dublin. It's a fun weekend. On a couple of miles down the Grand Canal the day day 2010 before we had people stopping us to wish us luck. BIL was highly impressed. Sub 3.30 is the plan ? I seriously doubt it will be any trouble for you if you keep things under control for the first half. My memory was the trouble set in about mile 19(?) where I briefly met (and instantly lost touch with) the pacing KC !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Enjoy the trip C, hopefully will catch up at you at some stage while you're here :)

^^^ Thanks for the well wishes!!! I'm at the airport now chowing down on yummy chicken salad and honey mustard and onion pretzel pieces. (bought these before I arrived at the airport!!) Barely made it into the airport upright as I have WAYYYY overpacked and definitely struggled from the economy parking lot to the terminal. (who the hell packed all this crap and what the hell was she thinking??!!) I was supposed to do an easy run today so I will count this physical endeavor as the day's marathon training. (trust me, it's insanely ridiculous the volume of personal belongings I crammed in two bags...and I won't even tell you how much over the limit one bag was! :eek::eek:) (sorry Marthastew, I hope the guest room will accommodate the square footage of baggage I am talking about. :o)

So....ttfn. Dory will be in the house in a matter of hours! Whoop whoop!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Safe traveling! And best of luck on Monday - amazing training!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Best of luck lady, hope to see you Mon

The Eagle has landed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    10441386094_83947a4d16_z.jpg

Tunney really is a pr1ck for starting that rumour i was small. Dory you will see i am actually a giant of a man when you meet me on Monday.

Dom i applaude your work but you will pay dearly for that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

From the sounds of it those 3.20 pacers will be solely running for you.

Brings something like this up in my thoughts!

Best of luck on monday!

Gebrselassie-KibetRa8286C9-thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Best of luck Dory Dory!!!! Have faith in your great training and pace it smart ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

Best of luck DD.....Give it socks......remember pain is temporary, internet results are forever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PosNeg

Hey Dory

To quote my favorite band: "Step by step you're going to make yourself feel better."

Embrace the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭El Director

Hi DD! Best of luck Monday! I'll lurking around on the course to cheer you on! Hope you have a wonderful experience. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

Give it socks DD :)

(lb:cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Best of luck tomorrow dory. Fingers crossed the weather plays ball.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone!!!! :)

Quick update - arrived in Dublin Friday morning after the god awful overnight flight on which I got no sleep. Zero. Nada. Zilch. :( Planes are just not conducive for sleeping - or at least their seats are not made for folks who are of my stature. Was so wrecked after not sleeping that I bagged doing my planned run that day and put if off until Saturday.

Up at a decent time on Saturday after sleeping very well that night and down to the famous Phoenix Park (lovely!!!! :D) to do 5 miles - 2 mile warmup, 1 mile at MP, 2 mile cool down. This run started out feeling great - easy peasy and effortless...until I hit the MP mile, and then my legs felt heavy and sluggish. UGH! I assume it has to do with jet lag. The cool down miles felt better, and I got a bit lost heading out of the park (zigged when I should have zagged), so actually did more than 5 miles, but at least these last few miles were nice and comfortable.

Post run on Saturday I went to see ecoli for a little attention to the legs. (Ladies, he's the man with the hands - trust me!! ;)) I believe his magic worked a treat (correct phrase?) because on this morning's recovery run (Sunday's run) the legs were much perkier and peppier. Of course, this morning's run's energy could have been because I was sharing the same pavement and proximity with Boards' rockstars Marthastew, hubbystew, menostew, and ecolistew (Marthastew announced that she was adopting ecoli due to all the National Championships he's won). Some great talent I was surrounded by!!! And if this morning couldn't have gotten any better, claralara and her sidekick with the guns, digger, AND emer911 showed up post run for a little meet and greet. :D

So....waiting to hook up with triathlon babe, Oryx, and water god, interested, for a little low key fun this afternoon. And then sleep....breakfast....and down to the start! It's almost go time. Good luck to all who are participating....and thank you to all who support all the runners in their various modes of support. Fingers crossed the weather is not too horrid tomorrow, but I'll tuck in between BeepBeep and jb shotgun for a little protection from the wind. Best to all!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!!!! :)

Quick update - arrived in Dublin Friday morning after the god awful overnight flight on which I got no sleep. Zero. Nada. Zilch. :( Planes are just not conducive for sleeping - or at least their seats are not made for folks who are of my stature. Was so wrecked after not sleeping that I bagged doing my planned run that day and put if off until Saturday.

Up at a decent time on Saturday after sleeping very well that night and down to the famous Phoenix Park (lovely!!!! :D) to do 5 miles - 2 mile warmup, 1 mile at MP, 2 mile cool down. This run started out feeling great - easy peasy and effortless...until I hit the MP mile, and then my legs felt heavy and sluggish. UGH! I assume it has to do with jet lag. The cool down miles felt better, and I got a bit lost heading out of the park (zigged when I should have zagged), so actually did more than 5 miles, but at least these last few miles were nice and comfortable.

Post run on Saturday I went to see ecoli for a little attention to the legs. (Ladies, he's the man with the hands - trust me!! ;)) I believe his magic worked a treat (correct phrase?) because on this morning's recovery run (Sunday's run) the legs were much perkier and peppier. Of course, this morning's run's energy could have been because I was sharing the same pavement and proximity with Boards' rockstars Marthastew, hubbystew, menostew, and ecolistew (Marthastew announced that she was adopting ecoli due to all the National Championships Juvenile medals he's won). Some great talent I was surrounded by!!! And if this morning couldn't have gotten any better, claralara and her sidekick with the guns, digger, AND emer911 showed up post run for a little meet and greet. :D

So....waiting to hook up with triathlon babe, Oryx, and water god, interested, for a little low key fun this afternoon. And then sleep....breakfast....and down to the start! It's almost go time. Good luck to all who are participating....and thank you to all who support all the runners in their various modes of support. Fingers crossed the weather is not too horrid tomorrow, but I'll tuck in between BeepBeep and jb shotgun for a little protection from the wind. Best to all!!! :D

Amended before I get lynched for telling porkies :D

Weather picking up, work done, talent there, all thats left now is to make your results official. Stick to the plan and ill see you at the finish (with the clock reading 3.1x.xx ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wildrhubarb

Best of luck tomorrow Dory! I'll have fingers and toes crossed for you, not that you will need it ;) Don't forget the well-deserved Cadbury's for after!! Sending you lots of positive vibes and some good weather from across the water :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done dory!! Fantastic time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

Brilliant. Was watching the live tracker for the last few minutes down shouting at the phone and willing you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wildrhubarb

Well done DD! Great running! We were cheering you on online. You left that 3:30 monkey far far behind :) Looking forward to your race report already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great result - congratulations !

Very happy. 3:20 and I am over the moon! Would have loved to have had another minute In me but I honestly didn't. Well done to jb, BeepBeep and shotgun for pulling me along....and very well done to my partner in crime, Oryx, for having a brilliant day and smashing her previous pb! That gal rocks in every respect and is gorgeous through and through. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

We have a lot in common Ms D. :) Well done to you. I couldnt find you at the finish and was so keen to see how you did I phoned home to get someone to check your time. :) A well deserved result and even better to come I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Well done Dory no more then you deserve.

Advertisement