Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Very like my training regime. Except for the yoga.

That's a very solid hm time for "a jog".

Hey there!! Been noticing how quiet your log is (you do still have a log, don't you?? ;)) And I never said I "jogged" around...but I didn't race it either. It was more a fast-ish trot down memory lane. :)

Thursday, November 14th, 2013

Plan: Day 4 of no running

Yoga again. Surprise!!! :rolleyes: All three videos - Pre-Run, Post-Run, and Injury Prevention. I may have to get Norris his own yoga mat because we are having serious space issues on mine - translation: that cat hogs the mat!!! I can tell I'm more limber after 4 days in a row of yoga - which tells me I really should integrate yoga into my training plan rather than only doing it when I'm "resting". And my body is feeling better....getting very close to wanting to either run or hop on the bike. (Hop on the bike!!!!!????? :eek:) I may have to reintroduce myself to my bike as it's been way too long since I've been on it. Which reminds me, I must purchase winter cycling gear as I have none. Looks like Dory's got an excuse to get a new outfit!!!!! :D

Actual: Yoga, the trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So, what you're saying is I am actually faster than you....and claralara???!!! ;):D

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Saturday, November 16th, 2013

Dory: "Hello, Mad One."
    Mad One: "Hello, Dory"
    Dory: "So nice to see you again after all these months."
    Mad One: "Ah, but the pleasure is all mine."

And so goes the reaquaintance of me and my bike. <sigh> And so goes the start of the next phase - HIM training. <gulp>

Bike plan: get my arse out and ride 2 hours

Well....it's been since August that I've had my tush on a saddle so I was both itching and apprehensive to get out on the pavement today. I got the green light from ecoli for a ride as long as I kept effort easy :) - red light from him for any running :(. Lucky for me, the weather is quite mild today so I was able to put together suitable clothing and be quite comfy out there.

I stuck to a course I know like the back of my hand - the triathlon bike course from Lake Arrowhead. Because it's been months since I've been on a bike, and because I am not the most skilled cyclist, I decided to stick to familiar terrain while I am getting my confidence about me. Plus, there is a 9 mile loop to the course that is varied in ups, downs, twists, and turns....and it keeps me in relatively safe distance to civilization if something goes wrong while I'm out there. I also decided to slap on the HR monitor as I think I may try and incorporate that into both the cycling and running this training cycle.

I had a few goals with this ride - to be on the bike for 2 hours, to try and spin more (I mash!!!), keep effort fair and decent without pushing too hard, and to get the body used to sitting in the saddle for "long" periods of time. Keep in mind, the longest training ride I've ever done up until today is 27ish miles...and the longest ride I've ever done in my adulthood is 50 miles.

The ride was good. The course starts out with a how-do-ya-do hill that woke the body up and got the heart and lungs asking me, WTF!!?? And then immediately after the uphill there is a downhill that I rode the brake and white knuckled the entire way on. :o Must work on that. I put out honest effort to spin, which I did at a miserably slow speed and hated it the whole time until the very end of the ride, at which time I was too tired to give a flying f*ck how slow I was going. My reward for suffering through the spinning, which, by the way, would cause my derriere to go bouncing up and down when I apparently was spinning too fast (this wild bouncing was my indicator to slow the spin down), was brief periods of heavenly, delicious, smooth, sultry, powerful, oh-how-I-love-to mashing. I'm all about the mash. It is what I do. But I am trying to change my evil ways and become a spinner. Baby steps, I guess.

However, more annoying than learning to spin was the following: at the one hour mark, my butt was in bits!! OMG....I was miserable and considered not doing the 3rd and final 9 mile loop I had intended on doing, but I knew that would cut the ride short by 30 minutes or so, so I sucked it up and got desperate creative with things. I sat on my right cheek for a while, then sat on my left cheek....I sat up off the saddle, squeezed my thighs together, then leaned forward on the bike while sitting down.....I introduced myself to the drop handlebars (I think that's what you call the bottom, looped part of the bar??)......I tucked my pelvis under then pushed back in the saddle to force a little excess bum-flesh forward to give added cushion....and I even just stood up on the bike and coasted to give my rear some rest. I have to say, I was freakin' miserable at times, but butt-misery certainly kept my mind off of worrying about things like traffic, hills or fatigue. I didn't give a crap about anything else other than giving my hind end relief.

In spite of butt-misery and miserable-spinning, this was a good ride and I think I pretty much accomplished all of my goals. Not totally sure how to interpret HR, but I think an average HR of 145 is ok. ?? I think?? I really never gunned it, knew on some of the hills I was breathing pretty hard (thus the 164 max), but the goal of today was not to get crazy with effort. Job done.

Bike computer data:
    Distance: 34.9 miles
    Time: 2:10:23
    Average speed: 16mph
    Cadence average: 79
    Cadence max: 124
    Alt +: 2572
    Alt -: 2530
    Temp: 62 degrees

Garmin data:
    Distance: 34.5 miles (forgot to turn it on at the beginning and after a stop)
    Time: 2:08:10
    Average HR: 145
    Max HR: 164

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good stats there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

A good bike fit, decent shorts and time in the saddle will cure the sore butt :)

griffin100 wrote: »
    A good bike fit, decent shorts and time in the saddle will cure the sore butt :)

I think the bike fit is good (had it fitted to me (what a process!) when I originally purchased it a year ago, then re-fitted in September when I had the handlebars changed. It's probably mainly time in the saddle, followed by better shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

It could be worse.........at least you have no appendages that can go numb for days on end after a few hrs in the TT position!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

griffin100 wrote: »
    It could be worse.........at least you have no appendages that can go numb for days on end after a few hrs in the TT position!!!!!!!!

Here here one definite advantage the ladies have. I am not surprised your arse was killing you, 2 hours is an eternity when you haven't been cycling in months :P

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

I know you are in super shape but just wondering why did you feel you had to do two hours on the bike? Sounds like the last nine miles were very uncomfortable and possibly not worth the agony. Similar to running - it is not advised to just go and run for two hours when you have not run for a long period. Its important to build up time on the bike so that the body can adjust and that way cycling is more enjoyable. Small steps yield better long term results. Well just my opinion - happy cycling.

• Advertisement

I know you are in super shape but just wondering why did you feel you had to do two hours on the bike? Sounds like the last nine miles were very uncomfortable and possibly not worth the agony. Similar to running - it is not advised to just go and run for two hours when you have not run for a long period. Its important to build up time on the bike so that the body can adjust and that way cycling is more enjoyable. Small steps yield better long term results. Well just my opinion - happy cycling.

Hi StoR! Thanks....and no doubt your logic is very sound, but there's a little matter of a possible event I may do in two months, so getting out for 2 hours was a tester of sorts to see where my cycling fitness is and to help make a few decisions about doing the event and performance expectations. I'm also stubborn (so giving up the 2 hour mark due to a sore bum would have seemed very princess-like to me), was in good shape on the bike physically due to moderate effort being expended (and all the loads of marathon training I've just been through), am fairly rested, and have been known to take certain literary liberties on my log for effect. ;)

Sunday, November 17th, 2013

Yoga - Injury Prevention. That and vacuuming the entire house.....the poor spiders. I'm starting to see improved flexibility from all this yoga....the trick is going to be if I can keep it as part of my routine when things get busy again.

Actual: Yoga and total arachnid annihilation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Hi dory, I suffered very similar pain as you a few weeks ago but it has definitely improved by wearing good quality ladies specific cycling shorts/tights. Also high cadence is important but it makes you hop more on the saddle. If you find you are hurting drop the cadence a little. Just for now until your backside gets used to being back in the saddle :)

Monday, November 18th, 2013

Run plan: 20 to 30 minutes at an easy pace of 9:45 to 10:00 min/mile

Ecoli gave his blessing for me to start easing back into running, but he set specific parameters (see above) that I am to follow....and follow I will. :) But because I could not justify the extra effort it would take to gather my running gear and then suit-up at work and run in the dark with my dorky reflective vest and flashing lights cinched to me for just 30 minutes at a 10 min/mile pace, I opted for the comfy basement environment in front of the tv on my revolving runway. Honestly, it felt great...which obviously indicates how desperate I am to run, no matter the surface or circumstances. But...well....it was nice. :o:confused::)

Followed this with Yoga - Post Run. All good in the hood.

Actual: 30 minutes at 10 min/mile pace on the treadie followed by yoga with Norris the gumby-cat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey I'll get the story to you before year end. Long work hours just sapping the mojo at the mo. Gonna try the Yoga post run session in the morning, minus Feline :)

Hey I'll get the story to you before year end. Long work hours just sapping the mojo at the mo. Gonna try the Yoga post run session in the morning, minus Feline :)

I will think of your story as a Christmas present. I. Can. Not. Wait. ;)

Tuesday, November 19th, 2103

Bike plan:
    10 minutes easy
    4 x (1 min high cadence, 30 sec easy)
    4 x (30 sec build, 30 sec easy)
    3 x (8 min steady 2 min easy)
    5 x (15 sec fast, 45 sec easy)
    5 minutes easy

Lovedlovedloved this!! Wow, what a difference a little structure and quality make to a trainer session. I used my Garmin to track time and HR, and I used the bike computer to track speed. During the 3 x 8 min steady intervals in particular, I really watched my HR while also minding my speed and cadence, but I found it tougher with each passing interval to keep the effort up (as indicated by HR). I guess I was getting tired, however I consciously kept pushing and managed to keep the comparative interval HR fairly close -
    #1 - avg HR 148, max HR 152
    #2 - avg HR 145, max HR 152
    #3 - avg HR 147, max HR 151

One of the most shocking things from this session was that I started out in the big ring, as I always do, but rather quickly went down to the small ring, as I never do, and kept it there for the remainder of the session. Super workout, and I hope this type of session will help sort out my cadence while making me stronger and faster. Oh, and this session was enhanced by the sounds of some pretty rowdy tunes, and I even managed to bust a few pretty damn good moves during the final 5 minutes easy. :D

Actual: plan done as prescribed above - 17.66 miles in 1:01:04, avg HR 136, max HR 152

Wednesday, November 20th, 2013

Run plan: 20 - 30 minutes at an easy pace

The man with the plan lifted the specific pace restriction and replaced it with the instruction to keep the effort easy. Because (just like Monday night) this run was so short, and because it was so cold and dark out there tonight (not like it's not dark out there every night this time of year....:rolleyes:), I opted to do this run in the cushy comfort of the greater indoors on my trusty treadie. :o I started out at 10 min/mile and gently upped the pace every 3 minutes until I reached ~8:30 min/mile and I kept it there for the remainder of this session. Felt good. For some strange reason I kept thinking about Phoebe from the show Friends and how she ran with reckless abandon. :confused:

Followed this up with Yoga - Post Run. Norris the cat now comes running the very second he hears me plop my yoga mat down. Doesn't matter where he is in the house, he's like a cat possessed. :D

Actual: 3.35 miles on the treadmill in 30 minutes, then yoga under the watchful eye of yogi Norris

Out of curiosity do you know your max HR?

Out of curiosity do you know your max HR?

Well....now there's a relevant question! :) I'm new to all this HR stuff....so, based on what little I've read about max HR, it seems there are various ways to calculate that. So.....has anyone a preferred method of calculating such a thing?? If so, then do tell.

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Well....now there's a relevant question! :) I'm new to all this HR stuff....so, based on what little I've read about max HR, it seems there are various ways to calculate that. So.....has anyone a preferred method of calculating such a thing?? If so, then do tell.

Get on bike (turbo)
    Get helper to monitor your stats
    Start in a handy gear, 95rpm.
    Maintain 95 rpm.
    Change to a harder gear every two minutes
    Your helper monitors hr and takes note of it every two minutes.
    Work like a dog till you cannot maintain 95rpm or you blow.
    Your peak hr is your max.

Running hr approx 10 beats above this.

Thats one way.

Helper?? Hmmm....note to self: teach Norris to read and write. ;)

I've seen various mathematical equations...some using resting heart beat, others using age, and others using weight as a factor. Any of those reliable?? If not....I guess I can try the trainer idea.

Just don't do the above test alone (or with just Norris; he is a yoga cat after all). You need to be rested before it and take a rest day after it. Basing hr on age etc are guesstimates, really. Tunney mentioned another good (and less taxing) test over on one of the other threads, Ill go hunt for it.

And speaking of Norris, you gotta get you one of these:
    Simon-s-Cat--Hanging-On--Adults-Cycle-Jersey69.jpg

Oryx wrote: »
    And speaking of Norris, you gotta get you one of these:
    Simon-s-Cat--Hanging-On--Adults-Cycle-Jersey69.jpg

LOVE it!!! And where does one find such a jersey???

Mathematical estimations of max HR are pointless.

I found a long gradual hill. Warmed up thoroughly (running that is, not cycling), then took a long lead in (0.5 mile at least) approaching the hill to get the HR up to a comfortably hard to hard effort (maybe 5k race pace) and then tried to keep the effort hard going up the hill until I just couldn’t put another foot in front of the other, to complete exhaustion. Did it 3 times and took the max peak HR recorded over the three attempts. I found that the peak could actually occur just after you’ve stopped (or collapsed).

That is similar to Oryx’s method, that is gradually increasing effort until you blow. Also, if you do attempt it, don’t be on your own; this stresses the heart to the max so who knows what might happen.

Thursday, November 21st, 2013

Bike plan:
    10 minutes easy
    5 x (30 sec high cadence, 30 sec easy)
    5 x (30 sec building, 30 sec easy)
    3 x (5 min steady (70ish cadence), 3 min moderate (80ish cadence), 2 min easy (90ish cadence))
    10 minutes easy

Another good session that I enjoyed immensely.....the dynamics of which really elevate the value of the trainer. And, I did the entire hour in the small ring up front. :eek: This is just totally unheard of for a masher like me!!!

Just like the session I did on Tuesday, I used my Garmin to track time and HR, and I used the bike gadget to track speed. On the main set of 3 x (steady, moderate, easy), I had to count my cadence to ensure I kept my legs moving a the prescribed pace (counted 6 seconds and multiplied by 10 - not perfect, I know, but counting for 10 seconds and multiplying by 6 was a little too hard with the beat of the loud music screwing with my ability to count)....and I had to watch my HR to ensure I was working at the correct effort level....and I found when I synched those two things for each of the 3 levels of effort, a particular/more-or-less-constant speed was determined, and that gave me a pace to try and maintain. HR data for that 3 effort set (avg HR, max HR) is as follows for each effort for each interval:
    #1 - 144/150....145/149....140/145
    #2 - 147/151....143/149....137/144
    #3 - 147/152....142/148....134/141

I notice now that I'm looking at this particular data that my first steady set was at a lower HR than my first moderate set. :confused: I don't really remember it that way...but I guess it was. Perhaps the first steady set wasn't hard enough...and perhaps the first moderate set wasn't moderate enough. And boy did the HR go down with each passing easy (and moderate) set. Hmmm.....

Actual: plan done as prescribed above - 17.08 miles in 1:00:19 with an average HR of 135 and a max HR of 152

Mathematical estimations of max HR are pointless.

I found a long gradual hill. Warmed up thoroughly (running that is, not cycling), then took a long lead in (0.5 mile at least) approaching the hill to get the HR up to a comfortably hard to hard effort (maybe 5k race pace) and then tried to keep the effort hard going up the hill until I just couldn’t put another foot in front of the other, to complete exhaustion. Did it 3 times and took the max peak HR recorded over the three attempts. I found that the peak could actually occur just after you’ve stopped (or collapsed).

That is similar to Oryx’s method, that is gradually increasing effort until you blow. Also, if you do attempt it, don’t be on your own; this stresses the heart to the max so who knows what might happen.

:eek::eek::eek:

I'm thinking pointless mathematical equations might be safer!! Ahhh.....we'll see about that max HR. I feel a test of some sort coming on. Ugh. :(

• Advertisement

Take it very easy for a day or two afterwards if you do max test.

Advertisement