Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

I used to torture myself with all the hr stuff. 220- age meant (at that time ;)) meant that my max should have been 180 and even at the easy runs I could be close that level.
    I did the run up a hill a few times test and I got closer to my real max but it was only on the finish line of a 10mile race (that I wasnt trained for) that I hit max hr of 204. Apparently I turned pure white and had people helping me through the chute after the finish line :o so I think I definitely reached a limit that day!

I think "most" people probably sit within a small percentage of whatever the formulae say but there will be outliers like me who are much higher or lower so it is worth testing if you want to use hr for training.
    However, even knowing my max hr I still never quite fitted within the generally accepted training zones so I just got to know my own zones.
    I stopped bothering after a while... though I also stopped bothering running but that's besides the point :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Sunday, November 24th, 2013

Bike plan: 2 to 2.5 hours at a more even effort (HR) than last weekend's proper ride

Ohsweetmotherofjesus......who let Old Man Winter in the house?? And he was angry today. Really, really angry. The temp when I started this ride according to my car thermometer was 23 degrees F (-5 degrees C), and when I finished was 27 degrees F (-3 degrees C).....and per the weatherman, the wind was blowing at 13 mph with guts of up to 24 mph. :eek: When my hands went numb before I had even hopped on the bike, I honestly just about bagged this ride. I've never cycled in cold weather before - in fact, until this week, my bike clothes only consisted of short sleeved tops and shorts - so the fiercely moving icey air was not really blowing my skirt up in a good way. <Cue, perfectly timed text from Oryx> "How did you get on with your bars?....wrap up well.....then generate heat!" :(:o:cool: Not wanting to let Ms. Ironwoman-triathlete Barbie down , I got my head back in the game....pulled the gloves on....set determination in my eyes....and off I went. (ain't friends great??!! :))

Well....long story short....I was like a sail on a boat at times :eek:, especially on the very first downhill that is usually a crazy-scary descent with me riding the brake the entire way...but today no brakes were required on that hill for my body caught the wind perfectly, the force of which was both surprising and impressive....and I found my body fighting the wind, and my bike slowing down considerably. Other times when I was not that sail, I was being pushed from side to side, and at every angle imaginable as the wind's direction was constantly changing due to my winding path and the wind's dynamic trajectory. I actually didn't mind the wind after my nerves and fears settled down. I sort of liked the challenge of this extra element. And the cold wasn't horrible either. The only part of my body that got cold was my feet, and honestly when I ski they get colder than they were today, so no complaints from me in that respect.

One of my goals for this ride, however, did not get checked. I had aero bars installed on my bike Friday and I was really hoping to try them out, but no dice baby!!! There was no way I was going to put my body/arms/hands/balance in a new position under those circumstances. But on a bright note, I figured out how to synch my Garmin with my bike cadence sensor. :D And speaking of my cadence, it was spin-city at times, and total mash-mode at others. A couple of things I noticed: when I mash, I tend to sit back further in the seat.....and when I get tired, I tend to want to mash. But I do think my spinning was better this week than last.

Overall....this was a very tough and physical ride for both my upper and lower body. Today's ride was a full contact sport, and I had a good time. :) I started with two companions...one peeled off after one loop, the other peeled off after the second loop, and I did a third loop on my own to get me to the desired time in the saddle....and, I had two brief stops waiting on my companion(s). Additionally, my effort didn't seem to wane at the end like it did last week. I'm pooped...feel good....and will sleep like a baby tonight. The wind is my friend. ;)

Actual:
    Distance: 34.76 miles
    Time: 2:12:15
    Moving time: 2:11:33
    Average speed: 15.8 mph
    Average moving speed: 15.9 mph
    Max speed: 29.2 mph
    Elevation gain: 1,994 feet
    Average HR: 152 bpm
    Max HR: 165 bpm
    Average cadence: 71 rpm
    Max cadence: 117 rpm

Garmin link: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/408441916

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Dory Dory wrote: »
    And the cold wasn't horrible either. The only part of my body that got cold was my feet, and honestly when I ski they get colder than they were today, so no complaints from me in that respect.

Have you overshoes yet, they are great for keeping the feet warm!

Good cycle, well done for getting out in that cold, average HR 152 and max 165, nice and steady! I am guessing your maximum heart rate will be a lot higher than mine.

catweazle wrote: »
    Have you overshoes yet, they are great for keeping the feet warm!

Good cycle, well done for getting out in that cold, average HR 152 and max 165, nice and steady! I am guessing your maximum heart rate will be a lot higher than mine.

Hey cw! I do have overshoes, but I only wore one pair of socks yesterday. I think if I add a second pair the toes will be nice and comfy.

Yesterday was one of our more extreme days weather-wise, so definitely added a bit of confidence to me with respect to conditions. Not sure how I'll react in pouring down rain on skinny tires.....and I'll probably avoid ice all together. :eek::D

HR....that may be determined tomorrow night. :eek:

Hey cw! I do have overshoes, but I only wore one pair of socks yesterday. I think if I add a second pair the toes will be nice and comfy.

HR....that may be determined tomorrow night. :eek:

DANGER DANGER!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057075647

Ah the HR test - I will be looking forward to that report, what is the format to look forward to 5 + 20 + 20 :eek:

Christ I am even getting into a bad mood seeing someone else have to go through that pain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

well done on getting out in that. definitely comes under the "character building" category

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Fair play DD. I know for a fact that one of the followers of this log, not looking at you CW, would not have ventured out in such conditions :D

DANGER DANGER!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057075647

Ah the HR test - I will be looking forward to that report, what is the format to look forward to 5 + 20 + 20 :eek:

Christ I am even getting into a bad mood seeing someone else have to go through that pain

The shoes are definitely not too tight, but good idea to consider. I'll try the two sock idea next cold day and see if that doesn't remedy the issue - there's plenty of room in the shoes for another thin-ish pair. Again, my feet weren't painfully numb, they were just the only thing on my body that was quietly complaining. :)

The test....30 minute TT. :eek: Hardest pace I can keep up for thirty minutes, monitoring my HR in 10 minute intervals. I'm supposed to be breathing my last breath at 29:59......with last rites being administered at 30:01. ;)

pgibbo wrote: »
    Fair play DD. I know for a fact that one of the followers of this log, not looking at you CW, would not have ventured out in such conditions :D

Absolutely right - however I will admit I enjoyed yesterdays pedal outside (in much milder conditions) :o
    The test....30 minute TT. :eek: Hardest pace I can keep up for thirty minutes, monitoring my HR in 10 minute intervals. I'm supposed to be breathing my last breath at 29:59......with last rites being administered at 30:01. ;)

Better have the music perfectly set so, keep the big tunes waiting for the last ten minutes of pain!

It's usually your average HR over the last 20mins that's used to determine the zones - using the Friel approach. What approach are you taking? I'm not familiar with the monitoring every 10mins approach.

Best of luck with it :cool:

• Advertisement

It's usually your average HR over the last 20mins that's used to determine the zones - using the Friel approach. What approach are you taking? I'm not familiar with the monitoring every 10mins approach.

Best of luck with it :cool:

Approach?? Hell, I don't know. I'm just doing as I'm told by the one who can't tumble. :eek: Results will be reported back to me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Actual:
    Distance: 34.76 miles
    Time: 2:12:15
    Moving time: 2:11:33
    Average speed: 15.8 mph
    Average moving speed: 15.9 mph
    Max speed: 29.2 mph
    Elevation gain: 1,994 feet
    Average HR: 152 bpm
    Max HR: 165 bpm
    Average cadence: 71 rpm
    Max cadence: 117 rpm

Garmin link: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/408441916

Nice spin, keep an eye on that cadence though are you trying to push a big gear too much?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice spin, keep an eye on that cadence though are you trying to push a big gear too much?

That's my mo unfortunately. I'm tryiing to correct that, but I just the love deliciousness of the big gear. :o

Monday, November 25th, 2013

Run plan: 6 miles easy

We're apparently having a heat wave today - a balmy 37 degrees Fahrenheit out there this evening. :rolleyes: Clear and crisp, and honestly not all that bad once properly warmed up and bundled up. Maybe yesterday's frigid conditions have hardened my constitution. Ha! Not. But the streets of Luray were buzzing with traffic and energy, and it was kind of nice to be out there in the middle of all that buzz.

Ah, but the run...the run was all over the place. Ugh. It started out feeling like I just might very well have Kenyan blood running through my veins, but quickly morphed into the realization that no, I was not switched at birth. The first two miles felt fantastic and were way too fast for "easy" (7:54, 7:57). The next mile was just about right and still felt good (8:13). The fourth mile was a gut wrenching uphill the entire way, and this is when my legs reminded me of my tough bike ride the day before as I s-l-o-w-e-d right down (8:53). The next mile was a lovely downhill (8:16)....the next was another nasty combo of ups and downs and railroad tracks that I did not fight (ups and downs, not the railroad tracks) (8:47)....and some joy was found again on the last partial mile, finishing into a very dark clinic parking lot (8:13 pace).

This run had too much effort in it to be easy, and I'm sure had I been wearing my HR monitor it would have squealed like a pig. Must. Do. Better.

Actual run: 6.3 miles in 52:30.81 for an average pace of 8:20 min/mile

Tuesday, November 26th, 2013

Bike plan:
    10 minutes easy
    5 x (30 sec build, 30 sec easy)
    30 minute TT :eek::eek::eek:
    5+ minutes easy

This sucked. But in a very sick way I sort of enjoyed it. :o

For the TT, I was told to start and maintain at the hardest pace I could keep up for 30 minutes - hard enough that if I had to go 31 minutes I would basically blow up into pieces. I was also instructed to record my HR data at 10 minute intervals. So, I did what I was told. Music was very loud, and I got all dizzy and woozy and kind of liked the place I was in. Thighs were screaming bloody murder, but I put them out of my head and kept counting down until the torture was over. Never having done anything like this before and not having a whole lot of experience on the bike, I had to guess at the beginning the pace I could keep up for 30 minutes - but I think I got it about right. I know I averaged ~20.5 mph for the first 10 minutes, but the speed did creep up to just over 21 mph for the next 10 minutes, then back closer to 20.5 mph for the final 10 minutes, and I never changed gears for the entire 30 minutes. I have no idea if speed is any kind of variable to determine if my effort was constant, so please disregard if it worthless information. Any way...10 minute interval results are as follows:

#1 - average HR 154, max HR 161
    #2 - average HR 166, max HR 168
    #3 - average HR 171, max HR 173

I have no idea if the above is good or bad or what it really means, but I assume I will be enlightened soon enough.

Actual: done as prescribed above, 18.18 miles in 1 hour

What was the goto music playlist for the torture fest - I am assuming plenty of foo fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Nice one DD, a typical display of effort - between that and the 2+ hour bike ride in artic conditions at the weekend a winter of bike training will just help make great results in tri even better !

"and I never changed gears for the entire 30 minutes"
    Its the right hand level - flick it in or get someone to show you :D

Fair play DD. That dizzy and woozy sensation means you paced it well :cool:

What was the goto music playlist for the torture fest - I am assuming plenty of foo fighters

Actually, I had the tv on to the loud rock music station I enjoy when I have to sweat and transport myself to that "happy" place. Foo Fighters were definitely part of the mix last night, but I actually smiled when I was on the last few minutes of the 30 min TT and Addicted to Pain by Alter Bridge came on. Very apt. And then after that, Deal with the Devil by Pop Evil followed by Bulletproof by Switch Foot...again, had me chuckling at the timing. ;)
    interested wrote: »
    Nice one DD, a typical display of effort - between that and the 2+ hour bike ride in artic conditions at the weekend a winter of bike training will just help make great results in tri even better !

"and I never changed gears for the entire 30 minutes"
    Its the right hand level - flick it in or get someone to show you :D

Ha ha. it would have taken energy to change gears and I was afraid I would have spontaneously combusted in pure Spinal Tap fashion from the additional effort I hadn't to spare, thus failing to finiish the session and ruining my evening. ;)
    Fair play DD. That dizzy and woozy sensation means you paced it well :cool:

The dizzy and woozy was fun. I'm just glad the bike was secured to the floor. :D

Wednesday, November 27th, 2013

Run plan: 4 miles at recovery pace

The rain, wind, cold and darkness of the evening made it a no-brainer to do this little trot inside on the treadie. Did this nice and easy, and it felt like a dream. Legs actually felt pretty good considering what they went through last night.

Followed this little session some post run yoga....with Norris da cat.

Brief post tonight as I am off to answer some crazy-@ss tricky questions posed by catweazle since I am now in the hot seat. This might take me a while. :o:rolleyes:;):)

Actual: 4 treadmill miles in 40 minutes - easy peasy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done on the 30 test, no doubt by now you have been told your hr ranges to work within.

Friday, November 29th, 2013

Bike plan:
    5 minutes easy
    5 x (1:30 high cadence, :30 easy)
    7 x (4 minutes on, 1 minute easy)
    as 1, 3, 5, 7 mod hard and 85+rpm...2, 3, 6 as mod hard self-selected cadence
    5 x (15 sec sprint, 45 sec easy)
    5 minutes easy

easy == z2
    on == z4

Okay, this was tough. Ugh. My memory must be short because this actually felt harder than the tt a few days ago. Ugh. My goal was to have my HR for those 7 x 4 minutes moderate hard between 161 - 178, but it took a few sets to even get the max HR above 160, and I only achieved an average HR of 161 on set #6. However, I would imagine the fact that my HR was 135-140sh at the beginning of the 4 minutes moderate hard has to be factored into the reason the average rate was low. ?? I can say, once I got my HR above 161, I was able to maintain it there for the remainder of the set....and cadence for all 7 sets ended up being above 85rpm. Any way...here is the HR data stated as average/max:
    #1 - 149/156
    #2 - 152/159
    #3 - 155/162
    #4 - 156/163
    #5 - 158/166
    #6 - 161/165
    #7 - 160/166

Actual: done as prescribe above, 17.24 miles in 1 hour

@ jackyback - yes, HR ranges have been determined....as follows:

LTHR: 169 bpm

vo2max (z5) 179+
    Threshold (z4) 161-178
    Tempo (z3) 142-160
    Endurance (z2) 117-141
    Recovery (z1) 0-116

Saturday, November 30th, 2013

Run plan: 6 miles steady, and 4-6 x 100m strides

Soooo....is all this bike training going to pay my running dividends? Or was the dinner of popcorn, chocolate and wine I had last night the secret to a "strong as an ox" run this morning??? I don't know what it was, but in spite of my thighs murmurring expletives at me because they were still feeling the effects of last night's slog and a half trainer session, I felt pretty dang good. Maybe the trainer teaches you how to suffer, so perhaps I just ignored the fact that I was really slower than I allowed myself to be. I'm sure I went too fast for "steady", but I had to let the horses go. (Note to self: wear heart monitor when running!) Followed the run with 6 sets of strides in the clinic parking lot. All good in the hood!!

Actual run: 6.21 miles in 48:06.38 for an average pace of 7:45 min/mile
    7:55, 7:54, 7:32, 7:45, 7:44, 7:39, 1:34 (7:29)

December 1st, 2013

Bike plan: 2 - 2.5 hours proper ride at z2

Dory's rules of the road if you want to ride with me:
    1) Do not sit on my @ss.
    2) Do not crowd me by riding my shoulder.
    3) Do not under any circumstances wear your frickin' iPod with music blasting through the buds that are attached to your ears thus preventing you from hearing me barking directions/orders/whatever the hell you want to call it at you. !!!! !!!!!!

<exhale>

:D

Now, where was I.........?

Oh-kay....this was a lovely little ride - crisp, overcast day that felt like rain but it didn't. I was mindful that I needed to watch my effort via my heart rate, so instead of wearing my watch, I attached it to the handle bars with the heart rate screen displayed while the bike computer was displaying my cadence, the other variable I am trying to improve.

I had company with me on this ride, so I warned my companion (before he put his buds in and his music on) that I'd be going a bit slower than normal due to trying to keep things in the endurance zone. He was delighted to say the least, because this meant he'd be sticking to me like glue - like @ss sitting, shoulder riding glue. Maybe in time I won't mind someone in my proximity, but for the time being it freaks me out and pisses me off. I bit my tongue, but must admit I was thrilled when he faded at the halfway point and was no longer a distraction for me.

The course I ride is pretty much either up or down, and there are not too many straight stretches that I would want to try and practice my brand spanking new aero bars out on, but there is one particular section that is conducive to this, so I took advantage of this opportunity and got my feet wet. My first attempt was hair raising and nearly catastrophic. :eek: It was more the steering than anything else, I believe.....and I just about toppled over. (This is why you do not want to sit on my @ss or ride my shoulder!!) I immediately corrected myself and returned to my "normal" position on my bike. But I persevered and gave it another go...and another...and another. And I actually got to the point where I almost let myself relax and enjoy the position.

The second half of the ride was pretty unremarkable, other than nearly taking out a squirrel, a cat, and a rooster (not at the same time), that is. My legs were starting to feel this week's trainer sessions and yesterday's run in this second half, and my bum was getting numb with about 5 or 6 miles to go - but that's much improved over two weeks ago. :) Once again, I found that when I tired I reverted back to my happy place of mashing. I think it's more that I can't be bothered with spinning my legs so much, I'd just rather muscle it. Overall, my heart rate was a little high on average than it was supposed to be, but honestly for me and my training discipline, I did a good job keeping it as far down as I did. No real complaints from me about this ride - obviously I'd like to be faster, but I'm just not at the moment.

Actual stats:
    Distance - 34.62 miles
    Moving time - 2:11:46
    Moving speed - 15.8 mph
    Max speed - 32.5 mph
    Elevation gain - 2,000 feet
    Average HR - 142 bpm
    Max HR - 158 bpm
    Average cadence - 73 rpm
    Max cadence - 117 rpm

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/411140787

Monday, December 2nd, 2013

Run plan: 4 miles recovery

Did this indoor treadmill style with no guilt. Ran it Phoebe style, unencumbered and happy (if you can do such a thing on a treadmill). Followed up this artificial "run" with some yoga accompanied by my shameless, showoff cat, Norris. He just loves to flaunt his flexibility. :)

Actual: 4 fake miles on the treadie, post-"run" yoga with furry company

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Cadence is something that comes with time on the bike I found. When you're doing endurance type long spins your body will soon realise that it can't power it's way around. Rollers instead of a turbo are also good for spinning as you won't be steady otherwise.

RJM85 wrote: »
    Cadence is something that comes with time on the bike I found. When you're doing endurance type long spins your body will soon realise that it can't power it's way around. Rollers instead of a turbo are also good for spinning as you won't be steady otherwise.

High cadence is definitely not what makes my body happy, but I actually think I'm doing a better job with it. I know the stats indicate it's still a miserable average low-70s, but the reality is the average includes some lovely downhills that I'm not spinning at all on. So, I honestly think the numbers stated are on the low end of reality. If I had to guess, I'd guess that on a more flat course I'd average 80ish. And rollers vs. turbo...I think I am using "rollers" already. ?? My bike is on a stand that has the rear wheel up against a roller that creates the drag. I honestly don't know what a turbo is. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

My bike is on a stand that has the rear wheel up against a roller that creates the drag. I honestly don't know what a turbo is. :o

Sound like a turbo to me ;)

I'm a bit of a masher too on both run and bike and swim. My cadence is generally lower than those around me. To me, good form and rhythm are more fulfilling than the hamster wheel

Tuesday, December 3rd, 2013

Bike plan:
    5 minutes easy
    4 x (1 min high cadence, 30 sec easy)
    4 x (30 sec build, 30 sec easy)
    5 x (3 min tempo, 2 min threshold, 2 min easy)* **
    5 (10) minutes easy

Holy mackerel this was another one of those deep, dark, dense quality sessions. I feel like prior to this focus and structure on the trainer, I was just wasting my time. I'm still getting used to all of this and how the body feels and how the heart rate builds and accumulates with each set, and I'm also learning to just suffer dammit (catweazle, we need to talk!), but suffering and pushing in nice, neat and tidy increments of time makes it so mentally doable. I did goof one little thing in this session - I realized with 2 sets of tempo/threshold/easy to go that I was 1 minute short somewhere. Crap. I honestly wasn't sure what I had shorted, but I hated the thought I had "cheated"....so then the debate inside my head began - do I add a minute to the tempo, or do I add a minute to the threshold, or do I add a minute to the easy. Ugh! But when Volbeat's "Lola Montez" came up on the music channel just as I was about to enter the land of the very last 2 minute threshold, I knew this song could take me all the way through plus that extra lost minute. Job done. And boy did it feel good.

HR data for the 5 x (tempo, threshold, easy) set stated as avg HR/max HR:
    #1 - 141/151, 156/161, 146/160
    #2 - 150/155, 160/163, 154/163
    #3 - 151/155, 160/164, 149/163
    #4 - 152/158, 163/167, 150/167
    #5 - 155/161, 167/170, 151/169

Actual: done as prescribed above, 17. 15 miles in 1 hour

*tempo target - 142 to 160, threshold target - 161 to 178, easy target 117 to 141
    **keep cadence above 80 for tempo and threshold

• Advertisement

Sound like a turbo to me ;)

I'm a bit of a masher too on both run and bike and swim. My cadence is generally lower than those around me. To me, good form and rhythm are more fulfilling than the hamster wheel

Okay...so I have a turbo!! Who knew???!!!

Advertisement