Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Rollers are the equivalent of putting your bike on your treadmill and trying to ride it. Nothing holding you up. There are some great youtube vids of skilled guys making it look easy but I hear it's not. Turbo is the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wednesday, December 4th, 2013

Run plan: 6 miles easy

We'll just call this the "Happy Birthday Jesus" run because Christmas, and all that this most sacred of seasons stands for, is on fire on "the hill" in town. Yep, folks, the Tutt brothers and their competing display of who-loves-the-holiday-more is in full swing on Main Street, and we all know that nothing says "Peace on Earth" like dueling lights, moving plastic reindeer, fake snow, and Santas of all dimensions. :confused: There are blow up Santas, a Santa in a plane, a Santa on a sleigh, a Santa who waves and says "ho, ho, ho", and even a Santa on a seesaw with three festive little piggies on the opposing end. Wtf?? :confused: And this is just the tip of the holiday decor iceberg - there is sooo much more - which begs the question: where do they store all this stuff in the off season???

Oh, but the run was fine. Felt good. Yada, yada. Eased up the hills, experimented on the downhills, and ran by feel for everything in between. Cool, crisp night. Twas nice. :)

Actual: 6.36 miles in 52:17.45 for an average of 8:13 minutes per mile

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Oryx wrote: »
    Rollers are the equivalent of putting your bike on your treadmill and trying to ride it. Nothing holding you up. There are some great youtube vids of skilled guys making it look easy but I hear it's not. Turbo is the better option.

They're easy once you get the hang of them. As definite help in becoming a more efficient cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Oryx wrote: »

Indeed. I have a friend who put one in his small apartment. The walls are now decorated with imprints of body and bike parts.

Thursday, December 5th, 2013

Bike plan:
    5 minutes easy
    4 x (1 min high cadence, 30 sec easy)
    4 x (30 sec build, 30 sec easy)
    10 minutes tempo (142 - 160 bpm)
    5 minutes easy
    10 minutes threshold (161 - 178 bpm)
    5 minutes easy
    10 minutes easy

I think these sessions are almost more mental than physical to get through when I'm pushing and pushing and pushing, knowing that I have to get to a particular effort level that is indicated by my heart rate. And there are times when I doubt that I could sustain that level without the assistance of music. Thank god for music. :)

10 min tempo - 152 avg HR/ 158 max HR
    10 min threshold - 162 avg HR/ 168 max HR

Actual: as prescribed above, but I added an extra 5 minutes easy to the end for a full hour

• Advertisement

Friday, December 6th, 2013

Run plan: 10 miles easy

Drowned rat, anyone?? Good god, it was one wet mess out there today - damp and drizzly to start with, then with 3 miles to go it was pouring buckets and blowing wind. Gah. Oh well. Better than being at work I suppose since I snuck out and did this over an extended lunch.

And, I wore my heart rate monitor. :eek::cool: I'm serious about trying to train by HR this cycle, and boy howdy did trying to keep the beats down really slow things for me. On the up side, I was fresh as a daisy and could have sung Yankee Doodle at the top of my lungs when I was done....on the down side, I gotta get over any pace envy I may have. The course I did was from home to Main Street to Dry Run Road then back again. I tried to watch my effort, but miles 2 thru 5 were uphill so the heart beats crept up, then it just stayed a little higher than it should have been for most of the remainder.....however, for my first ever run wearing and concerning myself with HR, I am fairly pleased with how close I got to my easy zone. Should have been 140 or lower (assuming my running and cycling zones are the same), but I was pretty well Dory-disciplined. :D

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/412814959

Actual: 10 miles in 1:29:08 for an average pace of 8:54 min/mile and an average HR of 145 bpm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I am fairly pleased with how close I got to my easy zone. Should have been 140 or lower (assuming my running and cycling zones are the same), but I was pretty well Dory-disciplined. :D

Break out the champagne....you should allow for ten beats extra for running, so top of zone should be around the 150 mark!

catweazle wrote: »
    Break out the champagne....you should allow for ten beats extra for running, so top of zone should be around the 150 mark!

Whoop whoop!! I could kiss ya!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

As CW says allow about 10% extra bpm for running over cycling, so makes the run look all the better :)

griffin100 wrote: »
    As CW says allow about 10% extra bpm for running over cycling, so makes the run look all the better :)

:D Kisses for everybody!!!

• Advertisement

Saturday, December 7th, 2013

Bike plan: fun ride, easy zone, ride longer

Decided to ride with hubby for this one because I wanted to explore some new bike territory. He rides a single speed, so I knew I could keep it in the easy zone and not get dropped. Worked a treat....and the day was pretty perfect for a country spin. And it occurred to me within a few miles of the start that this would also be a great time to get to know my small ring. :o And get to know it I did. I'm almost embarrassed to say, but I actually got to liking the small ring...it was, well, nice. The one thing I didn't like was that I got used to it. I love my big ring and the power it makes me feel I have. The small ring is like butter. <sigh>

I also decided this ride would be a good time to practice drinking while I pedaled since I don't drink and ride, I don't eat and ride, I basically don't take my hands off the handle bars and ride. My first attempt was a bit of a bust. After some fiddling about and taking my eyes off the road, I finally found my water bottle, managed to take a quick sip, and then just about toppled over trying to put it back in its cage. Ugh! Reluctantly and shamefully, I had to stop my bike to put it back in its rightful place. (I have so much to learn.) However, my second attempt was much better. :D One thing that struck me while I was messing with my bottle was how heavy it is. Will I get used to its weight?? And I didn't even try to grab the second bottle I was carrying - not sure how that will go as it is in a different position on the bike. :eek:

Good ride overall. It was long (for me), and it was pretty hilly (for me), and it was quite blustery (for me), and it was at a faster cadence (for me), and it was at a disciplined heart rate (for me). My speed is still slow, but I was surprised it wasn't slower due to all the associated factors. I am really hoping the turbo sessions during the week are paying off. :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/412814959

Actual: 42.45 miles in 2:41:40 for an average pace of 15.8 mph (see link for additonal data)

Sunday, December 8th, 2013

Run plan: 2 miles easy, 3 x (7 min @ HM pace, 3 min active recovery), 2 miles easy

It's an icy, snowy winter wonderland here today, and because I don't run on slippery surfaces, I did this one in the safety of my basement. Safety, yes...but why does a run always feel harder on the treadmill?? Is it the static nature of the gait? Is it the confines of the space you are in?? Is the artificiality of the concept?? No matter the reason, it just always takes a little more inner strength to get a "session" done in this manner.....however, better on the treadmill than not at all!

For the 3 x 7 min HM paces, I dialed the machine to 8.5 with a 1% incline as per my cheat sheet so I'd be holding a 7:06 min/mile pace. Not much to say. Had some good tunes cooking.....took some effort to maintain this pace and I'm not sure if that's because it was the treadmill (as above), or perhaps I've lost some speed, or maybe my legs were feeling yesterday's 2 hour 41 minute, 68k (sounds so much better than 42.45 miles) ride in them. Glad it's done. This week coming up will be interesting. Turbo sessions take a bit of a jump. Puke city, from what I've been told. ;)

Actual: as above, with HM paces at 7:06 min/mile - 8 miles in 1:10:39

Monday, December 9th, 2013

Run plan: 4 miles recovery

Icy and foggy out there tonight, so it was an easy decision to do this on the treadmill as I don't need to slip, and I don't need to be roadkill. No complaints, no issues....all good.

Looking at the rest of this week - :eek: - 2 scary looking turbo sessions, 3 hours on the bike at the weekend, and ecoli even slipped in a double run on Wednesday. :eek::eek: Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Actual: 4 miles nice and slow on the treadmill followed by Injury Prevention Yoga

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Injury Prevention Yoga[/B]

do you follow a bok/dvd for this or did you pick it up in a class?

mossym wrote: »
    do you follow a bok/dvd for this or did you pick it up in a class?

Hey there!! I used to take a yoga class in my little town here, but the fella stopped teaching so I have resorted to a DVD. I found this set of three "classes" specifically for runners by Fiji McAlpine - pre run, post-run and injury prevention - that I am enjoying. Each "class" is about 20 minutes long. Her chatter is a bit earthy, but I like the moves and I like that they are only 20 minutes each. Another bonus is you can pull all three of these up on YouTube. :)

Here's her link...
    http://www.doyogawithme.com/users/fiji-mcalpine

thanks Dory. might give them a go, never done yoga but reckon it might help, especially like the idea of the injury prevention one

thanks Dory. might give them a go, never done yoga but reckon it might help, especially like the idea of the injury prevention one

And I just visited her site that I linked and I had forgotten that she has all her "classes" available to view there, and not just the three I mention above. Plus, she demonstrates the poses in separate videos. :)

Tuesday, December 10th, 2013

Bike plan:
    5 min easy
    4 x (1 min high cadence, 30 sec easy)
    4 x (30 sec build, 30 sec easy)
    5 x (6 min tempo, 2 min threshold, 2 min easy) - cadence above 80 rpm for the tempo and threshold
    5 min easy

What girl doesn't like a good challenge? ;)

Done.
    And dusted.

Whoop whoop! :D

Tempo HR => 142-160, threshold HR =>161-178
    Stated as avg HR/max HR:
    #1 - 146/153, 155/158
    #2 - 152/157, 160/164
    #3 - 153/158, 163/165
    #4 - 153/157, 160/166
    #5 - 156/160, 164/167

The average threshold HR fell a little short on #2 and #4 (I won't address #1 since I really was just getting going), but the max for those two was in the zone, and I know the effort I was expending. Happy with this.

Actual: as above, plus an extra 5 minutes easy at the end to total the targeted time of 1:15:00 - 23.05 miles

Wednesday, December 11th, 2013

Run plan: 5 miles easy am, 5 miles easy pm

The weather has been full on winter around here, so there is snow and ice all around and I am chicken little when it comes to ice unless I am donning my ice skates. Therefore.....this was two indoor sessions on my itty bitty revolving and stationary (feels like oxymoron?) track. And I'm very glad ecoli broke today's run up into halves - my body thanks him for his wisdom and foresight. All good....not much to report other than the legs feel strong. I've a proper run planned for Friday during the day, so it'll be feet to the pavement once again! :)

Actual: 5.75 treadmill miles am, 4.25 treadmill miles pm

And I just visited her site that I linked and I had forgotten that she has all her "classes" available to view there, and not just the three I mention above. Plus, she demonstrates the poses in separate videos. :)

excellent. thanks for that. having them available online makes them perfect for travelling. got a trip coming up next week so might have a go at one over the weekend to try and get the hang of it

if it keeps ryan giggs playing premiership soccer at 40+ it can't hurt!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

if it keeps ryan giggs playing premiership soccer at 40+ it can't hurt!!

I think his motives for keeping limber were slightly different ;)

Thursday, December 12th, 2013

Bike plan:
    15 min easy
    5 x (30 sec build, 30 sec easy)
    4 x (8 min tempo w/ cadence >90, 2 min easy)
    5 min easy

Is it cheating if you keep your head down, eyes closed, and music loud? Just asking.

Other than the Garmin malfunction that occurred when I hit "lap" after the building set to take me into my first tempo set that caused the aforementioned Garmin to freeze on me :mad: thus causing me great stress and strife during my first tempo set :mad:, this was a good session. :) I fiddled and fiddled with the Garmin while I pedaled and pedaled until I finally gave up and let it do its energy saving shut down...then I restarted it again with only ~2 minutes to go in the second tempo set. Soooo, I have absolutely zero data for the first tempo set. Oh well, not the end of the world. I know my HR going into that set was 137, therefore I am quite confident I was well within the targeted zone range.

Tempo HR => 142-160
    Stated as average HR/max HR
    #1 - who knows??
    #2 - 149/151
    #3 - 150/154
    #4 - 153/159

Actual: as prescribed above plus an extra 10 minutes easy at the end to get to the targeted time (math challenged?? or am I missing something?? :confused:;):)) , 20.66 miles in 1:15:00

Is it cheating if you keep your head down, eyes closed, and music loud? Just asking.

whatever it takes to hit the numbers and get through it:)

Friday, December 13th, 2013

Run plan: 12 miles easy

This was done sneaky lunchtime style on the roads about town. :) Hallelujah!! I'm so glad I have a treadmill as an option when needed, but there is no substitute for the real deal - asphalt heaven, baby!!

I had the HR monitor on, and based on my expert guidance by resident armchair coaches, catweazle and griffin :D, I knew my target easy running heart rate zone was somewhere in the neighborhood of 128ish to 155ish, give or take a few beats depending on which coach I'm listening to. ;) My run was lovely....a cold and crisp day with the sun shining its @ss off. In fact, I even had to wear my sunglasses it was so bright out...and with snow all around, the reflection was blinding! But no complaints from me. No siree!! I'm not even going to complain about the snow and ice I had to contend with as I hoofed it up Dry Run Road. Nope. The winter wonderland I was surrounded by with snow covered trees and canopy more than made up for the fear I have of slipping on a narrow road with very bad sight lines, thus giving me visions of being splattered on the pavement by a fast moving vehicle as I lay there unable to get enough traction to move my carcass out of the way. Nope. Not even that could ruin the fairy tale feel this run had to it. :)

I'm enjoying running easy to heart rate, if I'm honest. The pace is certainly slower than I would normally go if left to my own devices, but slowing it down gives me SO much more energy at the end of the run. It's actually quite remarkable. Now here's hoping I reap the benefits of running slow after listening to all the fuss! ;)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/415289253

Actual: 12.3 miles in 1:45:46 for an average wintery-snowy pace of 8:36 min/mile with an aveage HR of 147 and a max HR of 159

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

....a cold and crisp day with the sun shining its @ss off. In fact, I even had to wear my sunglasses it was so bright out...and with snow all around, the reflection was blinding! But no complaints from me. No siree!! I'm not even going to complain about the snow and ice I had to contend with as I hoofed it up Dry Run Road. Nope. The winter wonderland I was surrounded by with snow covered trees and canopy more than made up for the fear I have of slipping on a narrow road with very bad sight lines, thus giving me visions of being splattered on the pavement by a fast moving vehicle as I lay there unable to get enough traction to move my carcass out of the way. Nope. Not even that could ruin the fairy tale feel this run had to it. :)

Dear god ..... it sounds like plot description of a 1950s Christmas musical.

Saturday, December 14th, 2013

Bike plan: well, this was supposed to be 3 hours easy on the road, but due to the snow that was falling and my desire not to be a broken woman with a broken bike, the session was changed to a 3 hour assortment of "fun" stuff on the trainer indoors. :eek: Gah.

I must need my head examined. 3 hours on the stinkin' trainer?? And it honestly wasn't a soul destroying experience?? :confused: Wow.

I had supplies with me for this one - 3 bottles of water, 1 bottle of Fierce Grape Gatorade, a pack of shot bloks, a candy cane tootsie pop, my iPad, and my cell phone. Didn't use the iPad, utilized the phone once or twice during the "easy" as a distraction, drank 2 bottles of water and the entire bottle of Gatorade, consumed the package of shot bloks, and resorted to the tootsie pop when I was trying to get my game face on during the last set of 3 x 5 minutes @ threshold at about the 2.5 hour mark.

Ummm....what to say, what to say. Well, it was long. It was tough in spots....but I didn't want to slit my wrists or anything like that. In fact, at times it was quite lovely with my head down and eyes closed listening to loud, thumping music that was pulling me along, allowing it to take me to the other side. ;) I thought my thighs were going to explode once or twice, but thank god they did not because I had to partition them to ignore them, and if they had exploded I'm really not sure at what point I would have realized that they were no more. :rolleyes: (experiencing delicious endorphins) When I was stuck into the 3 x (5 min easy, 5 min tempo), I really had no idea how in the world I was going to be able to turn it up a notch to hit targets for the next set to come of 3 x (5 min easy, 5 min threshold) because I was giving it all I had to give at that moment and felt I had nothing more to give, but somehow I found that other notch and did a respectable job under the circumstance for that threshold set. Mind over matter, I suppose. Either that, or I was imagining being in a shed with someone standing over me shaming me into hitting the targets. :)

Targets, HR zones:
    Easy: 117 - 141
    Tempo: 142 - 160
    Threshold: 161 - 178

No further comment needed. Here are the results of my stationary journey.....

Actual, as per the plan:
    15 minutes easy
    5 x (2 min cadence > 100 rpm, 1 min easy)
    15 min easy - 133/140
    10 min tempo - 146/153
    5 min threshold - 159/162
    15 min easy - 132/161
    10 min tempo - 146/156
    5 min threshold - 162/165
    10 x (1 min high cadence, 30 sec easy)
    3 x (5 min easy, 5 min tempo) -
    #1 - 132/139....144/148
    #2 - 132/144....147/150
    #3 - 132/146....146/150

3 x (5 min easy, 5 min threshold)
    #1 - 135/149....155/160
    #2 - 141/158....160/165
    #3 - 146/162....162/166

15 min easy

49.79 miles in 3 hours

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wow biking sessions = lots of numbers! 3 hour turbo nice one! No drop in the dedication in this neck of the woods now with you on a bike and Fazz logging :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

3hrs on the turbo is a real sign of your intent me thinks :) Well done for lasting.

griffin100 wrote: »
    3hrs on the turbo is a real sign of your intent me thinks :) Well done for lasting.

Oh, I have intent. ;) Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

Sunday, December 15th, 2013

Run plan: 8 miles @ MP

This was just downright awful. Please, let me share my pain....

~After going to the trouble to get all bundled up to do this outside properly on the pavement, I was forced to turn around quite quickly when I started slipping and sliding on the numerous patches of melting ice that were in my path. Boo. Down with winter!

~Had to do this on the treadmill, which in itself isn't the end of the world, but the tunes that were playing on the music channel I listen to were just terrible this morning. Nothing inspiring or motivating for me to "cheat" with there. Boo. Down with bad music!

~Legs/body could feel yesterday's session in them I believe, and I honestly doubt I could have hit the MP target without the assistance of the treadmill keeping pace for me. I even had to hang onto the bar thingy at times. :o Boo. Down with tired legs and hanging onto bars!

;):)

Ah, but it's okay. Got it done. In retrospect, I probably should have made today's run either easy or recovery since we changed up yesterday's bike from 3 hours easy to the 3 hour monstrosity that it was. I should have made that call, but I really have a hard time altering what's on paper without consulting the author of what's on paper.

Actual: .52 slippin' and slidin' miles outdoors at 7:30 min/mile pace...followed by 8 treadmill miles at 1% incline in 59:52 for an average pace of 7:30 min/mile

Advertisement