Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dory...I don't really read logs anymore, so fill me in, what are the plans for this year? What ye training for at the mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Dory...I don't really read logs anymore, so fill me in, what are the plans for this year? What ye training for at the mo?

Hey, Queen O' the Racoons!! Nice of you to stop by. :D

What am I training for...what am I training for.....

...well, the big event is June 8th - Ironman 70.3 Eagleman. That's what I'm training for. However, I do have a few other events to get through before Eagleman, such as Boston Marathon again.....and......brace yourself....I head out to Key West early-early-early next Saturday morning to spend a week on the island, and that week will be bookended by two events that will be used as "training" and not racing. The first event is a half marathon next Sunday that I'm doing with a girlfriend, and I'll be lucky to get within 5 minutes of my pb the way my running is going at this moment. The next event is something I've kept on the hush-hush because I have no business even doing it, and the fact that I am is quite bold (but it's now close enough to the day, so why not share the joy?). It's a half iron distance tri that Oryx should be doing with me the next Saturday. :eek: This event caught my eye last summer, and it's haunted me ever since. So, who cares that I've not been in a pool in 3 months....or that I'm in the infant stages of cycling....or that my running is crap right now?? And, we won't even discuss the fact that I don't know how to drink or eat on the bike (I've a feeling I'm going to learn pretty quick!).....but I hope to "learn" from doing this so I am better prepared for the real HIM show in June. :)

So, RQ, that's what I'm training for. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

And the mad part is I know you are going to do really well in spite of all those things. You make this stuff look easy. I still do this :( at not being there. But you'll hear my little voice in the back of your head all the way going 'MOVE YOUR ASS!' :)

Sunday, January 12th, 2014

Proper Bike plan:
    45 min easy
    4 x (20 min @ HIM RPE, 10 min easy)
    15 min easy

Run off the bike: 5 min steady, 10 min easy

Gorgeous, gorgeous day here, but the wind is insane!!! :eek: Not kidding!!! So insane that at times I thought I would be pushed backwards, and at other times I thought I'd be pushed sideways. Funny how you don't necessarily notice when the wind is assisting you, instead you think to yourself when you look down at your speedometer and see that you are gliding along at an effortless 22/23 mph that you are some fast as crap bad@ss in lycra who's looking like a racing dynamo in her uber cool shades. :cool: Ah, but alas, bad@ass racing dynamos probably go a little faster than the mere 15.9 mph average I did today, but that average also included a few stops, the wind, and the hills. So, overall I'm actually pleased with this ride. :)

Did I actually do this ride as specified with the structure of 4 x (20 min @ HIM RPE, 10 min easy)? Um, not really. :o Many reasons why not, however I did sections of this ride with HIM RPE in mind, and I determined that the HR that seemed most sustainably comfortable for a HIM was ~147.

As soon as I arrived back home, it was off with the cycling gear (all that winter gear!!!) and on with some running attire....then onto the treadie for 5 minutes steady at an 8 min/mile pace, then 10 minutes easy at a 10 min/mile pace. Legs didn't want to go 8 min/mile at first, and I'm quite certain that is an ambitious pace that I won't be anywhere near in two weeks coming off the bike, but they got going after a minute or two. :)

Actual:
    Bike - 47.2 miles in 2:58:08 for an average speed of 15.9 mph with an average HR of 135 and a max HR of 157
    Run - 1.62 miles in 15 minutes

I wear contacts for reading purposes and I'm trying to decide if it's a good idea or not to wear them in my upcoming triathlon event with a salt water swim...so, if there is anyone out there who wears contacts and has done a triathlon with an ocean swim, what do you suggest??

• Advertisement

Monday, January 13th, 2014

Bike plan:
    5 minutes easy
    5 x (30 sec build, 30 sec easy)
    3 x (5 min threshold w/cadence > 90, 5 min easy)
    5 minutes easy

This week has been all shifted around to accommodate the two events and travel I have on the very near horizon, and it is also a much needed stepback week. If I'm honest, I've been a bit run down the last several days, probably just the normal cummulative effect of training, a cummulative effect I believe was jump started in great measure by that 3 hour trainer session I did a week ago Saturday. Either that or I'm getting the creeping crud that's going around at the clinic. Fingers crossed it's the cummulative effect of hard training.

The threshold sets were short, but they were tough. I tend to need ample time to get the HR up (translation: more than 5 minutes to reach threshold, 161-178), but the effort was there in each of those 5 minutes. I kept the cadence greater than 90 rpm until the last 2 minutes of the very last set when, in a last ditch effort to get my HR up to the target zone, I bumped up a gear and immediately could not hold the rmp....but I got the result I was looking for - the HR went up immediately.

Stats, threshold avg HR/max HR...easy avg HR/max HR:
    #1 - 148/153...129/150
    #2 - 152/157...132/157
    #3 - 154/161...132/161

Actual: 14.18 miles in 45:03 with an average HR of 135 and max HR of 161

In other news, I took the Mad One to the bike shop today for shipment to Key West, and while I was there I picked up my brand new cycling shoes with carbon soles. I'm not wild that they are white, but they are pretty. :) And I had a first today. I have never done any kind of maintenance on my bike or bike accessories - been shown a thing or two but never had to do anything on my own - but tonight when I hopped on the trainer and didn't like the way the new shoe sat on the pedal, I, all on my own, adjusted the cleat to suit me. Whoop whoop!!! Thank god my brother gave me a really slick tool thingy that's nice and compact and quite complete. There's no stopping me now. ;)

I got new shoes too, but mine are silver and so bright Ill need extra dark glasses with them. :)

Can you change a puncture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Oryx wrote: »

Et tu, Brute ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

All these mad bike sessions finally make sense! :cool:

Best of luck with the HM & HIM

Oryx wrote: »
    I got new shoes too, but mine are silver and so bright Ill need extra dark glasses with them. :)

Silver???!! And I thought I had alot to live up to with my white shoes. ;)

I have never changed a puncture before. The folks who are building my bike in Key West said they'd put something called Pit Stop in my tires to prevent a leak if I do get a puncture since I am so bike-mechanically challenged. :o And if I do get a puncture and the Pit Stop doesn't work, then I'm basically screwed. :(
    pgibbo wrote: »
    All these mad bike sessions finally make sense! :cool:

Best of luck with the HM & HIM

Yep. Wasn't doing them just for my health. ;)

And thanks. :)

• Advertisement

interested wrote: »
    Et tu, Brute ? :)
    I may not be fast, and it may not look pretty, but yes I can, and have, fixed a puncture. :)

Tuesday, January 14th, 2014

Run plan: AM - 4 miles easy....PM - 7 miles steady w/ last mile @ HMP

This was a weird day. :confused: I awoke this morning before 4am and could not get back to sleep. I laid there and had so many things swirling in my head, most of which revolved around training and the two events that are fast becoming a reality. :eek: When the clock was approaching 4:30, I made the decision to get my carcass out of bed and knock out the 4 miles easy on the treadmill before the sun came up. It wasn't so bad. I went at a very easy pace, and my body didn't protest as much as I would have predicted. Not that I'll make this a habit, but I have to say it was really nice getting this easy run done and over before work, and it gave me the much needed option of doing the next run outside in the light of day. :)

Actual AM: 4 sleepy treadmill miles to wake me up!

So, next up, the 7 miles steady with the last mile at HMP done sneaky lunchtime style. I decided to do this on the flat Greenway - to be honest, I didn't feel like hills, I wanted to get lost in my music, and I really needed a confidence booster as mine has been AWOL as of recent - and I decided to target 8 min/mile for the steady, and then had hoped I'd be able to pull my HMP of 7:15 min/mile out of my pocket for the last mile. Fingers were crossed, and head-in-the-game music was raring to go on the iPod.

Okay...well, all I can say is this felt like old home week. :D I took off at what I thought was my targeted steady pace only to look down at my watch after a good half a mile to see I was bouncing along at just under 7 min/mile. :eek: Oh no, this will not do! Alert, alert....Dory is totally not playing by the rules, and she will certainly die a slow death in a few miles thus adding insult to demoralizing injury. Mile 2, and I just relaxed it, kept things loose, enjoyed the tunes only to have apparently sped up even more. Damn legs!!! Mile 3, same thing again. UGH!!! Miles 4 and 5 were slightly slower but equally as undisciplined. Ohforheavensake!!! Mile 6, and I was starting to feel some effort and knew I needed to slow this train down otherwise I would not make my final mile my best mile...and even though I was going faster than steady, heck, faster than HMP, I needed to be able to make mile 7 my blaze of glory. Mile 7...well, I decided not to look at the watch for the entire mile...to just run what felt good to me, and I did. :) Blaze of glory, baby....blaze of glory. I needed this for the confidence. Whew. (thank you, ecoli :D)

Actual PM: 7.18 miles in 51:40.73 for an average pace of 7:12 min/mile
    7:20, 7:10, 7:06, 7:12, 7:09, 7:14, 6:46

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you want to go slower - only because doing an easy run too hard is hurting your ability to do a hard session at the required effort - maybe stop listening to music on those runs and listen to a podcast instead?

RayCun wrote: »
    If you want to go slower - only because doing an easy run too hard is hurting your ability to do a hard session at the required effort - maybe stop listening to music on those runs and listen to a podcast instead?

Ah, perhaps. Or maybe just less inspiring music. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

a nice waltz :)

Wednesday, January 15th, 2014

Bike plan: 1 hour easy, including 5 x 30 sec sprints with full recovery

Not much to say, other than this was like the exclamation point on my "taper" and the realization that yes, in just over a week I will be swimming in the chilly Atlantic Ocean as a warmup :confused: to a scenic bike thru several islands (and over many bridges :eek:), and a run around the southernmost point in the continental United States. :eek: OMG, what have I done??? :eek: And the sharks....do they prefer warm water?? Have they gone south for the winter?? Do they like to feed on little girls in sleeveless wetsuits?? :eek: Oh, and get this, I'm in the last stinkin' wave. :( Boo. Fingers crossed that the early swimmers will either scare away any and all sharks, or fill them up. :D;)

Must. Start. Packing. :eek::eek::eek:

Actual: as prescribed above, 16 miles in an hour

Vitruvian put all the wimmins in the last wave, which used to irritate me, (what are we, lesser citizens? - all that weaker sex bull went out with the ark) but nah, you just chase down EVERYONE.

Please share the tracking link so all your boards posse can virtually cheer you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

When is the 1/2 marathon - I thought that was first?

Nothing wrong with going out in the last wave, soak up the atmosphere!

The first wave can often not be very good for motivation with bike after bike screaming by me!

catweazle wrote: »
    When is the 1/2 marathon - I thought that was first?

Nothing wrong with going out in the last wave, soak up the atmosphere!

The first wave can often not be very good for motivation with bike after bike screaming by me!

Half marathon is first - it's this Sunday. :)

Thursday, January 16th, 2014

Run plan: 5 miles easy

It snowed here last night, and I don't run in snow and ice. Period. So this was 5 easy miles on my good pal, the treadmill. I followed this up with some stretching and foam rolling. I've actually been doing some stretching and foam rolling several times each week - I just don't always remember to post that info. I still find the foam rolling painful, and because it's hard for me to subject myself to this pain at my own hand, I probably don't spend enough time rolling my body up and down awkwardly on this noodle-like implement. In particular, my IT bands (I think it's my IT band) are the most painful...next would be my quads.

Actual: 5 easy miles on the treadmill while I fretted over the need to pack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Look forward to watching how you go, as Oryx mentioned stick up a link. You may not feel it now but trust me when i say the bike work you have done will lead to some run improvements also, as shown in your "easy oops fast should be easy run". #bigquads #runhard #gofast

Here's the link to track me.....

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=live_timing&eventID=2118

Will post my bib number when I get it.

But, please, no high expectations as training is in the beginning phase in so many respects, plus I haven't been in a pool/swimming since the beginning of October. :eek: I'll try and get reintroduced to the water by utilizing the heated outdoor hotel pool, snorkeling on Monday, and by trying to get at least one ocean swim in if I can find a fish or two willing to join me. :)

I have high expectations anyway, because, well, its you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Snoop snoop, current water temperatures are 70˚F+ in Key West- (that's a balmy 22˚C for those living beyond the Middle Ages). Perfect Dory temperature, I would have thought? Great expectations here ;), Have a blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck Sunday.... comeback with your shield or on it ....Nothing other than podium is acceptable :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of luck Dory. All excited this weekend, Munster, 49ers, Dory does HIM :)

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday.... comeback with your shield or on it ....Nothing other than podium is acceptable :D.

:eek::eek::eek:
    Best of luck Dory. All excited this weekend, Munster, 49ers, Dory does HIM :)

Dory does half marathon this Sunday....HIM next Saturday. So, two weekends for you to get excited about. :)

Saturday, January 18th, 2014

Run plan: 2 miles recovery + 6 x 100m strides

The Dory fish has returned to her rightful place - by the sea, the glorious sea. :D It may only be 67 degrees here, but the sun is definitely more intense than up thar in the Old Dominion (that's Virginia, for those uninitiated ;)).

After checking into the hotel, I immediately shed the pants and heavy top for shorts and a T-shirt to hit the streets of Key West to get this little run out of the way. I headed south out of my hotel straight to the southernmost point, passing Ernest Hemingway's home on my left.....then 2 blocks east, then back north again to loop it back to the hotel. I didn't take my Garmin with me, and there was a lot of starting and stopping and picture taking along the way, so I have no idea how far I actually went, but it was probably ~2.5 miles. To get the strides in, I sort of did them fartlek style - I just took off for a block when the sidewalk was clear, then I'd slow it down when I had to cross the street. This run actually felt quite sluggish (not good for the confidence), but I hadn't eaten anything since last night, and was up at 1:30am to head to the airport after only ~4.5 hours sleep, so, hopefully nothing a little nutrition and rest won't remedy. :)

I'd love to post some pics this week to share a little of the flavor of this place, but I honestly don't know how to do it. I've only my iPad with me...and can save pics on it, but I don't know how to post them as it appears I can't "paste" them. :confused:

Actual: ~2.5 easy breezy (and yes, there is a healthy breeze here!! :eek::() miles with some blocky strides in Key West

Key West Half Marathon
    Sunday, January 19th, 2014

This will be brief as I am dead on my feet from doing way too much these last 48 hours with travel, lack of sleep, erratic eating, shopping, and running a half marathon.

Must. Slow. Down.
    Must. Eat. More. Sensibly.
    Must. Get. More. Sleep.

Okay, in a nutshell - got up at 4:30am...had my usual breakfast of cereal, milk, oj, and banana...hoofed it to the start line about a mile or so away....the start was late...the start was congested with idiots who were not lined up correctly and those of us who were lined up correctly had to make our way past them which made for a very slow start :mad: 8:03...next 3 miles were as steady as they come :)7:09, 7:09, 7:10...miles 5 thru 7 were into the wind and into the blinding sun but I thought, "oh joy, I'll have the wind at my back upon my return", but that really didn't happen :confused:7:15, 7:22, 7:19...when I reached into my pocket on mile 8 to grab a gel, my packet of money, photo id, and hotel key fell out of my pocket so I had to stop, turn around, and retrieve the items (note to self: do not put my packet of money, photo id, and hotel key in the same pocket with gels) 7:23...because this run was more of a training run, I had my tunes on, however unfortunately on mile 9 my iPod spontaneously turned to static-y radio and I had to make the decision to either listen to static for the next 4 to 5 miles or fiddle with the device and get it back on music - slowing down and fiddling with the device won out under these circumstances 7:25...miles 10 and 11 were even-steven 7:18, 7:19....mile 12 brought more wind and I found myself happy as a clam to be tucked behind two runners to shield myself, even though it meant I had to slow down (but I was fine with that as I kept thinking about not pushing too, too hard with the half iron distance tri in 6 days) 7:32...I pushed on on mile 13 7:17...then upped it a bit for the final few tenths 6:47.

Overall I'm okay with how today went. Obviously I'm frustrated at the start with the walkers and joggers selfishly clogging the way....and obviously having things fall out of my pocket and having to turn back to retrieve them is not ideal...and obviously having the distraction of my iPod in a race situation is just really awful and unprofessional...but so it goes. Secretly, yes, I would have loved to have PBed today (PB is 1:35:00) - every time I go out and race I would love to PB - but I pretty much knew from mile 1 that any chance of that happening was out the window, and it would have been irresponsible for me to kill myself trying. I'm certainly not in quite the running shape I was in for Dublin, but I'm not in horrible shape either. Much work to do yet, and plenty of time still.

Pgmcpq will be happy to know that I did podium (whew!) - 1st in age, 3rd female master, 65th overall. But, all that sort of falls flat when you don't PB. Funny how that is.

Actual, per official result: 1:37:37

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Pgmcpq will be happy to know that I did podium (whew!) - 1st in age, 3rd female master, 65th overall. But, all that sort of falls flat when you don't PB. Funny how that is.

Never a doubt ! PBs are so dependent on conditions etc, etc don't knock the placement - it is a race after all.

One Two word words for you : plastics Safety pins !!! Use pins etc to attach keys, money (wrapped in plastic) etc, etc to the inside of the pocket of your shorts. Make sure it does not chafe (medical tape) and you are all set !! No mid race accidents.

The following is very running specific (ie will not help much during tri) but you might also consider http://vimeo.com/50507423 Just be careful, it can be a good idea to put a nick in the packet to make it easier to open, and again use medical tape around the packet edges. Get it right and it becomes very easy to grab and open the gel - really helps as you tire ( assuming that you ever do tire ? )

Advertisement