Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

It's very unfair of me to question your program, and if I have put any doubt into your plans, I apologize. I thought about not posting initally, but my selfish curiosity got the better of me. You're more clued in than most attempting their first marathon (certainly much more so than I was), and your training and results are bearing fruit. I think you've thunk about your schedule as much as it should be thunk (I think), and its working extremely well. I'd say carry on, and I can't give any more "experienced" marathon training advice than that; in fact I'm looking at your program as a model I want to learn from.

Wordplay from me from now on, I'll go back to what I know about:D

Dpop! No apologies please....and don't ever hesitate to post on my thread...especially if it is your selfish curiosity. ;) Yes, you had me doubting a few things momentarily, but through that momentary doubt I may have better clarity about what my goals are and how I want to go about trying to achieve those goals, so for that I thank you. And you know what? If I am totally fecking up my chances to have a super marathon, then we'll count this as a science project gone bad and learn from the mistakes. No biggie. There's always another marathon just around the corner. :)

Loving the wordplay....
    Especially when you are spouting and wordplaying in a lyrical way...
    about head torches and forests and races sponsored by the IMRA! :D

18 Mile Run

I was totally dreading this run today because the weather was so awful (34 degrees and drizzling rain on top of the ice/snow we received last night, plus cloudy with slight gusts of wind) and because we had out of town family stay overnight last night so I didn't get much sleep. I considered swapping my weekend around and doing this run tomorrow, but I decided to suck it up and face the music today....and I'm so glad I did because now it's in the books. I did make one concession, however, and that was to stick with a flat course because I did not really want to venture on icey roads with hills and traffic. I settled on running the Greenway loop basically 5 1/2 times to log in the set mileage.

The Greenway was basically deserted other than for me and all the fellas fishing along the stream that the Greenway follows. I have never in my life seen so many guys dressed in their camouflage (camouflage while fishing? really?) with rod and reel in hand, puffing on cigarettes and cigars while casting for, um, trout? Good grief, they were all lined up along the bank, moving about, vying for the best spot. I'm guessing the stream had just been stocked. Of course, I was a welcome sight to most of these home-town boys with questionable oral hygiene in wading boots.....running by them over and over and over again in my tight fitting and very bright running gear. Smiles all around, and some head shaking after they realized I was like the Energizer Bunny. One young fella in particular (he was kinda cute in a redneck way) seemed to derive the most joy from my passes that after 6 times by him he finally stopped me to see how far I was going. I told him 18 miles. Then the next time around he stopped me again to ask how far I had gone. I told him 12 miles. But the next time around he was gone...I guess I outlasted him.

Anyway.....18 miles down. I stopped twice for a quick drink of water and jelly beans (at mile 9.75 and 15.xx - def needed energy at the 15 mile mark, and the sugary beans worked quite nicely). Again, flat course....splits (and eye rolling) as follows:

8:03, 8:21, 8:08, 8:17, 8:25, 8:25, 8:27, 8:26, 8:28, 8:20, 8:22, 8:23, 8:25, 8:26, 8:33, 8:18, 8:09, 7:59

Total time: 2:30:05, avg pace 8:20

I consciously pushed it a bit. I wanted to make sure I am not hurting myself with the excess miles of the SBR challenge, and I think at this point I am okay. I will slow it down for next weekend's long run, I promise...but this pace that I was able to maintain today gave me some confidence that I was looking for. I still don't think I have a 3:30 marathon in me - that's 8 min/mile, 26 times! But I feel that I can do 8:30ish min/mile 26 times.

Evening Recovery Spin On Trainer

For the past few Saturdays, I've been doing an easy session on the trainer after my long runs and I think it's eased soreness and stiffness from the long runs I usually experience the next day. Tonight, it was 10 easy breezy miles in 38 minutes. :) Now....it's time for my amazingly delicious homemade fish stew served over a bed of rice and a beer! Twas a good day put in after a wonderful day of rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Solid training there recently and a super LSR, keep up the good work.....but fish and beer.....I'm not so sure unless it's Guinness and Oysters! :p

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Solid training there recently and a super LSR, keep up the good work.....but fish and beer.....I'm not so sure unless it's Guinness and Oysters! :p

Thanks! And I'm totally with you on oysters.....could eat them until I got sick. Lovelovelove oysters. :)

• Advertisement

Easy Run

I had decided to skip the hour long one way trip to the pool today, so I instead checked out the local 18 hole golf course since a friend of mine works there and he's offered that I run along the cart path. Plus, I wanted to test out my new Asics runners - their maiden voyage.

Okay, have you any idea how hilly a golf course is? Or at least, have you any idea how hilly this particular golf course is? Wow. The cart path is basically two circuits that cross once, and one entire trot around the 18 holes is 4.65 miles of constant ups and downs with one section that is fairly flat. I actually considered walking at one point (this was supposed to be easy, you know), and I momentarily considered only going one full 18 hole spin instead of the two I had originally planned. I stopped to refuel after one full spin, felt much better after a few stretches, then did my second spin. I think the hills were easier the second time around.

9.29 miles in 1:29:13 for an average pace of 9:36 min/mile.

I will definitely be hitting this course many times before the marathon. Quite intense, even at a slow pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

FWIW - Your 18 mile run there was about the same pace I was running my LSRs for my first Marathon. I did 3:33. You are training a hell of a lot smarter too (ie you have a plan;))

Also I disagree with the guys who are suggesting the cycling is counterproductive. As long as you taper it smartly before you taper the running and approach it as recovery during the run taper.. I believe it will stand to you on Marathon day. Others may disagree, the puritsts particularly but thats just my 2c...

Great work DD.

FWIW - Your 18 mile run there was about the same pace I was running my LSRs for my first Marathon. I did 3:33. You are training a hell of a lot smarter too (ie you have a plan;))

Also I disagree with the guys who are suggesting the cycling is counterproductive. As long as you taper it smartly before you taper the running and approach it as recovery during the run taper.. I believe it will stand to you on Marathon day. Others may disagree, the puritsts particularly but thats just my 2c...

Great work DD.

Thanks!! I definitely think the cycling has made me stronger...and will taper that first prior to the marathon. You mention your 18 mile pace and compare it to mine yesterday - but keep in mind that I did push that pace a bit yesterday, so I don't think I'd technically call it a LSR. I still had some gas in my tank at the end (increased speed on my last three miles), but I still doubt 3:30 is in the cards. I may officially change my desired MP to 8:30 and go from there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

hi DD! Just found your log and if you 18 mile log entry recently is anything to go by, I am going to LOVE catching up on the other 20 pages or so at some stage with a cuppa ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

Dory.Great log,i'm really enjoying it.Even you're easy recovery runs sound exhausting,Keep up the great work.3.30 in the bag!!!:D

• Advertisement

hi DD! Just found your log and if you 18 mile log entry recently is anything to go by, I am going to LOVE catching up on the other 20 pages or so at some stage with a cuppa ;)

Thanks! Writing in this venue with so many fun and talented folks has been a great experience for me. :)
    Runonewon wrote: »
    Dory.Great log,i'm really enjoying it.Even you're easy recovery runs sound exhausting,Keep up the great work.3.30 in the bag!!!:D

3:30?? Is there an echo in here? ;) I'm not feeling that it's in me, but you are a reminder that so much is possible. I derive so much inspiration and joy from your posts and your progress....and you help keep the bigger picture in the proper perspective and in focus. You keep up the great work too. :)

Interval Night

If you had been a fly on the wall of my brain tonight, you would have heard the steady, monotone chant "relax, relax, breathe, breathe" over and over again. And if you had been that fly on the wall of my brain tonight, and if your eyes had been closed, you would have assumed that I was on my yoga mat in the lotus position in deep meditation. Ha! That couldn't have been further from the truth.

Intervals are the deep dark secret that no one tells you about before you sign up for the marathon training plan....the training plan that promises that "you too can be an honest-to-goodness marathoner in 30 days or less for five easy payments of $9.99 or your money back." Good god, if I had only known.

Per the plan:
    2 miles easy, 10 min/mile
    2 x 1200 meters @ 7:04 min/mile, 2 min recovery interval
    4 x 800 meters @ 6:59 min/mile, 2 min recovery interval
    3.7ish miles easy, 10 min/mile

The session went well. I am always relieved to have the first fast set done because each subsequent set seems slightly easier than the previous set. I guess my legs get more and more used to the quick turnover required to keep pace.

Total, 10 miles in 93:30

Trainer

I felt rested from a fairly easy day yesterday, so it was 15 fast and furious miles on the trainer after the intervals. I did this faster than I usually go, mainly because hubby was upstairs waiting for dinner, and I was running behind due to a slightly later start than normal. 50 minutes in the saddle. Dinner was well worth the wait.....leftover fish stew that seems to get better with each day that passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dory Dory wrote: »
    3:30?? Is there an echo in here?

Welcome to the Boards Intrinsic Peer Pressure. No sooner than you have donated a kidney to scrape your way over your finish line, that they will descend upon you with notions of 'easily' knocking another hour off it :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Welcome to the Boards Intrinsic Peer Pressure. No sooner than you have donated a kidney to scrape your way over your finish line, that they will descend upon you with notions of 'easily' knocking another hour off it :rolleyes:
    Or tell you you would 'cruise' an Ironman.

Did I mention, I think youd cruise through an ironman. You should think about it. ;)

Oryx wrote: »

Did I mention, I think youd cruise through an ironman. You should think about it. ;)

If you'd do it with me, I'd probably consider it! :)

If you'd do it with me, I'd probably consider it! :)
    I think Austria is sold out. But if I make it through this one theres always next year!

Yoga

90 minutes of hurt-so-good yoga. Love our instructor - he's a tattooed, doo-rag wearing cutie who speaks in a soft and soothing tone whose message is not always of the same tenor as that soft and soothing tone. Subtle and sly humor he has. He's sort of like The Barenaked Ladies (musical group) of yoga instructors.

Easy Proper Run

It was such a nice evening out and I got home from work a bit early so I couldn't resist an unplanned trot around town. Slipped on the new runners and, while the sun was still just above our mountainous horizon, off I went to tackle urban sprawl with a relaxing run. The evening was cooler than I had prepared for so I was a little chilly, especially while running through pockets of cold currents along the Hawksbill Creek, but overall it was nice to be out and about in January without totally freezing my patootie off.

5 miles in 44:16 at 8:49 min/mile pace.

Trainer

My Caps were playing the Boston Bruins tonight so I spun sans iPod so I could hear all the colorful commentating by my two favorite colorful commentators. This week is, um, supposed to be a recovery week :o so I backed off on the intensity of this very average spin session. Caps won without Ovie (suspended for 3 games), Backstrom (head injury), and Green (abdominal surgery)...and we actually looked good!

20 miles in 78 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Yoga

My Caps were playing the Boston Bruins tonight so I spun sans iPod so I could hear all the colorful commentating by my two favorite colorful commentators. This week is, um, supposed to be a recovery week :o so I backed off on the intensity of this very average spin session. Caps won without Ovie (suspended for 3 games), Backstrom (head injury), and Green (abdominal surgery)...and we actually looked good!

20 miles in 78 minutes.

You completely forgot to say "The Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins"....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

It's refreshing to see someone refer to 'Miles'....... Most of the Boardsies on this side of the Atlantic are falling over themselves to join the Kilometre Splitter's.... Not me though, it's Miles and Shillings and real turf fires ;)

drquirky wrote: »
    You completely forgot to say "The Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins"....;)

I stand corrected. "The Stanley Cup Champions Boston Bruins who lost to the Washington Capitals last night even without the Caps' three best players.". ;)
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    It's refreshing to see someone refer to 'Miles'....... Most of the Boardsies on this side of the Atlantic are falling over themselves to join the Kilometre Splitter's.... Not me though, it's Miles and Shillings and real turf fires ;)

So glad to hear you say that. Your kilometers are causing me much work in the higher mathematics department! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

So glad to hear you say that. Your kilometers are causing me much work in the higher mathematics department! :(

1 mile= 3720 times the length of the Queen of England's nose. To convert to kilometers, whack said nose ten times with a standard bar composed of an alloy of ninety percent platinum and ten percent iridium. The swollen nose will define a meter, and multiply this length by 1000 to get a kilometer.

1 mile= 3720 times the length of the Queen of England's nose. To convert to kilometers, whack said nose ten times with a standard bar composed of an alloy of ninety percent platinum and ten percent iridium. The swollen nose will define a meter, and multiply this length by 1000 to get a kilometer.

And the Queen is okay with this? ;)

Now this could turn into quite a political discussion.

*sits back with popcorn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Sure. You're an Irish citizen now, right? It's expected of you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Well, in fairness, you will....

Sure. You're an Irish citizen now, right? It's expected of you;)

So this is what the How-To-Be-An-Irish-Citizen handbook meant by royal hazing in the chapter about initiation! ;)

Izoard wrote: »
    Well, in fairness, you will....

Oh god.....not you too! ;)

Tempo Night

Tonight's indoor tempo extravaganza was pretty darned good. The plan called for 5 miles at mid tempo pace, so that meant I'd be doing them on my revolving landscape at 8 min/mile. The pace pushed me, but I kept it relaxed and negotiated the dividends the work that I was putting in then would pay for me in 10 weeks. I'm hoping my return on investment is big. ;)

1 mile at 10 min/mile
    5 miles at 8 min/mile
    4 miles at 10 min/mile

10 miles total in 90 minutes, 9 min/mile average pace.

Trainer

Legs a bit heavy from the tempo run, but they got in the groove after 2 miles. 10 miles in 38 minutes. Highlight of this spin was definitely my most awesome rendition of the Foo Fighters' "Stranger Things Have Happened." I really think I've missed my calling. ;)

The crazy plan at this moment is to drive the hour drive to the pool bright and early tomorrow morning. We'll see if I get my arse out of bed at a ridiculously early time. Damn SBR challenge....

Love Foo Fighters. Love. Love. Love. Saw them live once. Epic.

• Advertisement

Love Foo Fighters. Love. Love. Love. Saw them live once. Epic.

Never seen them, but I grew up near where Dave Grohl grew up. I seem to choose them when I'm on the trainer - I actually think you planted the seed. :)

(And nice to know that you're the hot chick dpop keeps referring to! ;))

Advertisement