Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Have you picked a race for 2015 yet? Are you tempted by a European race?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

pgibbo wrote: »
    Have you picked a race for 2015 yet? Are you tempted by a European race?

I have not picked a race for 2015 yet, but I am drawn to something European if it contains a few boards peeps with the promise of some fun. Have you got anything in mind?? :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

*cough* Lanza *cough*

If all else fails...

Oryx wrote: »
    *cough* Lanza *cough*

If all else fails...

Yes, if all else fails. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I have not picked a race for 2015 yet, but I am drawn to something European if it contains a few boards peeps with the promise of some fun. Have you got anything in mind?? :)

I wish I knew the answer for 2014 nevermind 2015. :pac:

If CW gets in to Norseman then I'll be his support if he square it away with my good wife :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

:D

Well, the bubble is more properly known as a winter dome. I did a little research yesterday and it may be a viable option - it's actually very similar to the pool cover we fasten down each winter to protect the pool, but this has different and more material to it so when the one or two blowers blow air into it, it expands and creates a dome. Some of the versions tout that they are solar and will keep the pool and space comfortably warm by design. Fingers crossed. ;):)

Here's what the version I like looks like:

http://vynall.com/pool-domes/

*goes out to measure her back garden*

pgibbo wrote: »
    I wish I knew the answer for 2014 nevermind 2015. :pac:

If CW gets in to Norseman then I'll be his support if he square it away with my good wife :pac:

Has CW squared it away with his good wife yet? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

2015 eh... might be 2 boards teams for the beast of ballyhoura ;)

Monday, February 24th, 2014

Run plan: 4 miles easy

I'll be doing these easy runs in my field as soon as things dry out, but because the field currently vacillates between frozen and soggy, I took to the safety and comfort of the treadie tonight. 4 miles done. No fuss, no muss.

Hit the yoga mat and did some stretching, core, a few yoga moves, and plenty of foam rolling.

Actual: 4 miles easy peasy treadie style

Tuesday, February 25th, 2014

Bike plan:
    10 minutes easy
    5 x ( 30 sec build, 30 sec easy)
    5 x (6 min just above threshold, 2 min easy)
    5 minutes easy

Done. I got the HR up in the low/mid 150s for each of the threshold sets except for the first one....and the HR was increasing by 1 bpm over those last 4 sets. I decided to keep the cadence high, and my speed stayed around 21 mph for each of those 5 threshold sets.

I had to fight for space on my yoga mat as I was joined by both of my kitties for some stretching, core and foam rolling.

Actual: as prescribed above, 18.51 miles in one hour.

• Advertisement

Wednesday, February 26th, 2014

Run plan:
    AM - 5 miles easy
    PM - 6 miles steady

Sneaky lunchtime trot for the AM run....and because the sun was shining, I thought I'd try out the field for the first time in ages. Well, I didn't anticipate the bitter cold nor the crappy condition of my worn path, so after two spins around the field I was back inside in shorts and a tshirt doin' it on my treadie.

Actual: 1.4 yucky field miles plus 3.5 warm and comfy treadmill miles

Headed to the Greenway after work all bundled up like it was below freezing out there. Oh, wait. It was below freezing out there!!! I started out with grand intentions of keeping my pace around 7:40ish (I estimate if you factor in the flat course and lack of wind plus Garmin inaccuracies, you can easily add 10 seconds to my recorded paces...so I was really targeting 7:50ish ;)).....and I was disciplined on the first two miles, but as the body warmed up and got all loose, the pace just started to up without any effort. I even consciously slowed down when I realized I wasn't staying within my plan on miles 3, 4, and 5.....but I have to admit that I said to hell with it on mile 6.

Actual: 6.45 miles in 47:49.02 for an average pace of 7:25 min/mile
    7:39, 7:42, 7:32, 7:20, 7:12, 6:59, cool down 3:21 (7:29)

Edit: I just looked at my plan to see what I am to do tomorrow and see that I was short 1 steady mile tonight!! UGH!!!!! I was supposed to do 7 steady miles and not 6. Dammit! That's actually two goofs in the last 5 days as I realized after the fact that I was supposed to run for 15 minutes off the bike last Saturday. Must. Pay. Attention. To-the-plan. !!!!! :o:(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Good job Dory !!!

accountant_joke_mousepad.jpg?height=460&width=460&qv=90

Thursday, February 27th, 2014

Bike plan:
    10 minutes easy
    4 x (1 min high cadence, 30 sec easy)
    4 x (30 sec build, 30 sec easy)
    5 x (3 min alt steady/mod hard, 2 min easy)
    10 minutes easy

Very cold and very windy out there this evening so I was counting my blessings that tonight was a trainer night and not a run night!! Happy days. No too much to say about this session...it was fine....legs were a bit fatigued at first, but by the time I was through the building section they were prepared for the guts of this. I wasn't totally clear how to approach the alternating steady/moderate hard, so I decided to split the 3 minutes in half and do the first 1:30 at steady, and then up it for the second 1:30 to moderate hard....and I upped it by going to a harder gear but keeping my cadence as static as possible. I found my HR for the steady stayed in the upper 140s with speed 20-21 mph...and my HR for the moderate hard stayed in the lower 150s with speed 22-23 mph.

Did my usual stretching, core and foam rolling post trainer....and I thought I was going to be totally without company on my yoga mat tonight....but my faithful yogi cat, Norris, came racing down the steps while I was rolling my little heart out. Better late than never. :)

Actual: as prescribed above plus an additional 5 minutes easy at the end for 17.81 miles in an hour.

Friday, February 28th, 2014

Run plan: 2 miles easy, 3 x (1 mile steady, 1 mile MP), 2 miles easy

Ahhhh.....highlights of the run:

Done on the flat Greenway.
    Very cold (23 degrees F, -5 degrees C), but sun was out.
    Did this over lunch.
    Targeted steady at 7:40....targeted MP at 7:20.
    Both targeted times took into consideration the flat nature of the course.
    Actual times were slightly faster than than target, but no too bad for undisciplined Dory.
    Best thing about the run - some smiling faces and a high five.
    Worst thing about the run - my Ipod ear buds totally screwed with me by playing music intermittently and alternating the sound between the left and right ears in such a way that I can't believe did not cause the sudden onset of projectile vomiting.
    Deepest thought while running - why would swimming in 23 dregrees F/-5 degrees C feel so much colder than running in it??

Easy - 7:57, 7:58
    Steady - 7:28 (too fast!)
    MP - 7:22
    Steady - 7:38
    MP - 7:11
    Steady - 7:34
    MP - 7:12
    Easy - 7:44, 7:44

Actual: 10 miles in 1:15:54 for an average pace of 7:35 min/mile

You are less clothed swimming for starters..

You are less clothed swimming for starters..

I know...but it's more than that!!! What is it??

And why are you still awake??!!

I'd imagine its down to sweating and heat transfer. In water your body adapts itself to the temp of the water and thus you don't sweat as much. Evaporating sweat takes heat and energy. Steam doesn't rise from a swimmer but a runner on a cold morning? The range of motion and load bearing nature of running will generate more heat, thus sweat and it burns even more heat to evaporate that sweat. I guess someone with some physics background can make more sense of it that that.

Trouble sleeping this week. Crap because I usually sleep and nap like a baby :(

But even if you take away all motion, cold air and cold water at the same temp does not feel the same. Perhaps the density of the water has something to do with it??

Sorry about your insomnia. :(

I usually sleep and nap like a baby
    Babies usually wake and cry every four hours or so. ;)

• Advertisement

Saturday, March 1st, 2014

Bike plan:
    30 minutes easy
    3 x (45 min HIM effort, 15 min easy)

Good god I need my head examined. Did this on the trainer - 3.5 hours on the trainer. Why? Because I felt a head cold coming on and I thought it wise to keep this indoors and out of the cold. But I learned something from this miserable little session - if you break down into tears while watching a sad movie when you're in z3, it can throw you into a sad-movie-while-on-the-trainer-in-z3 induced asthma attack. And it will happen over and over again at each sad part in the movie. Moral of the story: no more sad movies while on the trainer.

The session was long. Very long. The first two 45 minutes at HIM effort went well and I was able to keep the heart hate in the upper 130s/lower 140s while feeling pretty good, but the third 45 minutes at HIM effort was much tougher and I only managed a heart rate of mid to upper 130s. Of course this was when most of the movie sadness occurred, so that may have contributed some as well since I had to slow down to breathe.

I was supposed to run 15 minutes off the bike, but I honestly forgot until this very minute, and I'm not going put my gear back on and go back downstairs at this point.

Actual: 58.97 miles in 3.5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Now that's commitment!

Tell the Feds to forget water boarding and just stick any terrorists on a turbo for 3.5 hours, then they'll talk.

Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Swim plan: 3k in my friends endless pool

Finally I got some 2014 swimming in, yay!:D I turned my friends endless pool to max, and started off- immediately I hit the wall and there is now a large Dory-shaped face-dent in the front of the pool. Phoned an electrician friend who came out and bypassed some overload circuits, so I could start again. I was enjoying my zen easy 1:10/100m pace swimming when the rush of water stopped, and the lights went out. Someone from Con Ed was angrily banging on the door- apparently I had zapped the electricity from most of the east coast??? Feckin' bollixin' ****, I thought, this meant my swim was to be curtailed, and I had great intentions of moving up the SBR challenge table.

Luckily I noticed my friend had an impressively large aquarium taking pride of place in his living room. Quick as a flash I had tied a rope to my midsection, and was swimming hard with various blacktop corydoras, gold nugget pleco's, and bewildered carp. This went well for the first 10k, until the plastic merman fishing on the crock'o'gold began to annoy, digging in to my knee with every kick. It's not like me to be annoyed, as you well know, so I figured I was hungry, and ate on the swim, downing three even-Spotted squeakers, an amusing koi, and several goldfish for dessert.

All told I got 25k done, before I tried to flip turn using my hands and the glass sides gave way and shattered. My friend arrived home to a sodden powercut house, and defaced endless pool, but told me he'd have everything fixed in good time for next weekend. He realises how important the SBR challenge is to me, and that without it I would become just another boring marathon plodder on the death spiral of slightly-better 26.2 pb's and ultra-run championships from a field of 10. I'm better than that. I'm a swimmer.

Dory, you are tough as fk and totally nuts.

KG youre just nuts.

Kurt Godel wrote: »

Swim plan: 3k in my friends endless pool

Finally I got some 2014 swimming in, yay!:D I turned my friends endless pool to max, and started off- immediately I hit the wall and there is now a large Dory-shaped face-dent in the front of the pool. Phoned an electrician friend who came out and bypassed some overload circuits, so I could start again. I was enjoying my zen easy 1:10/100m pace swimming when the rush of water stopped, and the lights went out. Someone from Con Ed was angrily banging on the door- apparently I had zapped the electricity from most of the east coast??? Feckin' bollixin' ****, I thought, this meant my swim was to be curtailed, and I had great intentions of moving up the SBR challenge table.

Luckily I noticed my friend had an impressively large aquarium taking pride of place in his living room. Quick as a flash I had tied a rope to my midsection, and was swimming hard with various blacktop corydoras, gold nugget pleco's, and bewildered carp. This went well for the first 10k, until the plastic merman fishing on the crock'o'gold began to annoy, digging in to my knee with every kick. It's not like me to be annoyed, as you well know, so I figured I was hungry, and ate on the swim, downing three even-Spotted squeakers, an amusing koi, and several goldfish for dessert.

All told I got 25k done, before I tried to flip turn using my hands and the glass sides gave way and shattered. My friend arrived home to a sodden powercut house, and defaced endless pool, but told me he'd have everything fixed in good time for next weekend. He realises how important the SBR challenge is to me, and that without it I would become just another boring marathon plodder on the death spiral of slightly-better 26.2 pb's and ultra-run championships from a field of 10. I'm better than that. I'm a swimmer.

To paraphrase one of my favorite lines - I'll have what he's having. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

To paraphrase one of my favorite lines - I'll have what he's having. ;)

3 bottles of delicious home brew pale ale- I'm unsure of the alcohol content but its probably not low;) I'll make you some for when you next return to out merry green isle. I'll get back on the non-catholic lent bandwagon in a couple of days...

3.5 hours on the turbo, ye gods! You're some gal!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    3 bottles of delicious home brew pale ale- I'm unsure of the alcohol content but its probably not low;) I'll make you some for when you next return to out merry green isle. I'll get back on the non-catholic lent bandwagon in a couple of days...

3.5 hours on the turbo, ye gods! You're some gal!

I'll hold you to the home brew.....and speaking of Catholicism, uh yeah, 3.5 hours on the turbo says it all.

(p.s. - endless swim tomorrow....;):))

Sunday, March 2nd, 2014

Plan: 2 hours as follows - 45 min easy, 30 min steady, 30 min MP, 15 min HMP

Okay kids, cover your ears....

F*************CK!!!!!!!!!!

All clear, you can uncover them now.

Holy crap this was tough - legs were totally fooked from yesterday. Gah. Barf. I honestly thought I'd be sending this session to the graveyard of good intentions, but I somehow managed to dig deeper than I have had to in ages and was able to hit the proper targets. This damn well better stand to me some day as hard as this was. Double barf.

Easy miles - 9:03, 8:52, 8:31, 8:41, 8:25, 1:26 (8:27)
    Steady miles - 8:07, 7:54, 7:53, 6:04 (7:48)
    MP miles - 7:34, 7:36, 7:32, 7:19 (7:33)
    HMP miles - 7:10, 7:08

Actual: 15.1 miles in 2:01:13 for an average pace of 8:02 min/mile

Now...off I go for an endless swim and a soak in the hot tub!!!!!!!!

Sunday, March 2nd, 2014....Part II

Swim plan: to put to rest any nasty rumors that I might possibly be a boring marathon plodder or ultra-champion wannabe in a field so embarrassingly small that even my granny (god rest her soul) could podium

Ah, the endless pool. The cold endless pool. :eek: Apparently last weekend my friend upped the pool heater for me, but since he is gone all week...well....you know. :( So, after I got my breath back once fully submerged (brrr!), off I went fighting the 2mph current....and trying not to get jostled around too much. (You definitely get tossed about, and your goggles get a workout as well!)

I used my pull buoy to keep my lower body from being pushed down like it was last weekend, and it seemed to work a treat. I found myself still kicking (that never happens when I use the pull buoy in my conventional pool), but that was fine with me. It was a pretty good workout - I'm still not totally sold on this endless pool thing, but for now it will get me through until my pool opens next month. All told, I was in this oversized bathtub for about 30 minutes, so approximately 1500 meters done.

Rumors to rest....I am no doubt happiest when I am in water doin' my thing and smelling like chlorine. Yes Kurt, I am a swimmer. :)

Actual: approximately 1,500 meters in 30 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

"upped the pool heater for me" .... so funny :p

Nice job and for the purpose of what you're using the pool for the pull buoy is no harm - its a fantastic resource that checks a box but I'm not so sure I could use one on a regular basis - unless as a aid to falling asleep or something.

Advertisement