Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

ssh! he deleted that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Oryx wrote: »

Twice now I've been nabbed on that quiet little edit today!:D

mmmmmmm and I do believe I mentioned hot chickS of the pluralur feather flocking around the SBR coop...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Too late!! The word is out!!!! ;)
    Twice now I've been nabbed on that quiet little edit today!:D

mmmmmmm and I do believe I mentioned hot chickS of the pluralur feather flocking around the SBR coop...

Such the smooth talking Lothario.....

Swim Session!!!!

Okay, I probably need my head examined for this one (damn SBR Challenge)......up bright and early at 5:10, out the door at 5:25, at the pool at 6:20, in the water at 6:30. BUT......

I loved everything about this swim session. I loved how empty the pool was at this hour (practically had all 10 lanes to myself), loved the long warmup to wake my body and loosen me up, loved the kick/pull set in the middle that isolated muscles and gave me a chance to really work on my upper body, loved the spiffy 100s at the end and how good I felt, loved the snacks that were waiting for me in my car, and loved the music I listened to on the way home. Yay!! :)

Session as follows:
    2500 free warm up - delightful!
    Alternating kick and pull as follows (one of each - so total yardage is 1250 kick, 1250 pull):
    500, 250, 200, 150, 100, 50
    10 x 100s (25 each of free, breast, fly, free)
    Total: 6,000 in approx 1 hour 50 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Swim Session!!!!

Okay, I probably need my head examined for this one (damn SBR Challenge)......up bright and early at 5:10, out the door at 5:25, at the pool at 6:20, in the water at 6:30. BUT......

I loved everything about this swim session. I loved how empty the pool was at this hour (practically had all 10 lanes to myself), loved the long warmup to wake my body and loosen me up, loved the kick/pull set in the middle that isolated muscles and gave me a chance to really work on my upper body, loved the spiffy 100s at the end and how good I felt, loved the snacks that were waiting for me in my car, and loved the music I listened to on the way home. Yay!! :)

Session as follows:
    Alternating kick and pull as follows (one of each - so total yardage is 1250 kick, 1250 pull):

Jesus...a 6K swim session as part of a marathon training plan?

This SBR Challenge has a lot to answer for...I hope mcos's public liability insurance is up to date:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Twice now I've been nabbed on that quiet little edit today!

Don't worry if you turn your eye towards our resident tough guy, Oryx.. I'll seize my opportunity to ask Dory Dory up for a dance with someone that has real moves ;)

Izoard wrote: »

This SBR Challenge has a lot to answer for...I hope mcos's public liability insurance is up to date:)

Disclaimer in the OP :p

Izoard wrote: »

So, what you're saying is a 6k swim session isn't normally part of a marathon training plan? Shotgun has a lot to answer for!! ;)

Don't worry if you turn your eye towards our resident tough guy, Oryx.. I'll seize my opportunity to ask Dory Dory up for a dance with someone that has real moves ;)

Any time, any place shotgun. Even in a pool. ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Swim Session!!!!

Nothing wrong with that. Yesterday was a 5:30 alarm and I was in the water at 6:05. And I was far from first their either.

This bit, however, is a bit much.

Swim Session!!!!

Session as follows:

AWESOME!!:eek::eek:

And straight away there's stuff to be learned, alternate kick and pull during warm-up.

6k!!:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with that. Yesterday was a 5:30 alarm and I was in the water at 6:05. And I was far from first their either.

This bit, however, is a bit much.

;)

AWESOME!!:eek::eek:

And straight away there's stuff to be learned, alternate kick and pull during warm-up.

6k!!:eek::eek:

You can alternate kick and pull during warmup, but what I did was a 2500 continuous swim (no stopping for 100 lengths of the pool, all swimming freestyle), then the NEXT 2500 was alternating kick and pull. I like to do my kick and pull this way (alternating) because I feel like I'm multi-tasking - I'm working one group of muscles while I'm resting another. There is no rest between transition, only time to swap kick board for pull buoy.

6k? I have endurance. And honestly, all the running and cycling have helped my swimming endurance. I guess all three disciplines feed off each other.

You can alternate kick and pull during warmup, but what I did was a 2500 continuous swim (no stopping for 100 lengths of the pool, all swimming freestyle), then the NEXT 2500 was alternating kick and pull. I like to do my kick and pull this way (alternating) because I feel like I'm multi-tasking - I'm working one group of muscles while I'm resting another. There is no rest between transition, only time to swap kick board for pull buoy.

6k? I have endurance. And honestly, all the running and cycling have helped my swimming endurance. I guess all three disciplines feed off each other.

Aha, gotcha. See, thats how much of a newbie I am, I thought kick/pull meant emphasis on legs motor, turn, emphasis on arms motor.

Roughly how long does a 2500 warm-up take you? The endurance will see you though the marathon with flying colours/colors.

Aha, gotcha. See, thats how much of a newbie I am, I thought kick/pull meant emphasis on legs motor, turn, emphasis on arms motor.

Roughly how long does a 2500 warm-up take you? The endurance will see you though the marathon with flying colours/colors.

(Legs motor and arms motor....may nab those terms for my own use.)

And just to be sure...the kick/pull set was...500 kick, 500 pull, 250 kick, 250 pull, 200 kick, 200 pull....and so on. (newbie clarification ;))

I'm pretty much steady at 15 minutes per 1000 - not going for speed here. Do keep in mind I'm swimming yards...but I'm also just staying strong and rhythmic with a relaxed turnover, maximum underwater stroke, and slow kick....never out of breath. I almost get into a hypnotic state when I swim like that for so long. It's a totally different can of worms when I'm into my spiffy sets of 100s.

Trainer

This week was supposed to be a recovery week, so because of that, and because I had a good quality swim session today, the intensity of this spin was lowered. Nothing remarkable during this session, not even any good lip synching to brag about. 20 miles in 80 minutes.

Tomorrow is my standard rest day, then Saturday is my second of five 20 milers. Yehaw! I hope the weather cooperates for my long run.....and I will abide by the plan's stated pace (which I lowered by 15 seconds because...well...just because).

As I mentioned above, this was supposed to be a recovery week...and based on a quick look at my numbers, here's what I found when comparing this week to last week: I increased running by 7 miles, decreased swimming by 2,000 yards, and decreased cycling by 13 miles. I definitely feel more rested.....and now, because I feel rested and because I see I did a good job easing up this week, I'm having thoughts of heading for a swim tomorrow night (on my official rest day), but logic will prevail and I will resist primarily due the fact that I have that long run staring me in the face on Saturday. But I could really go for that swim.......

Oops...just did the math again, and I increased running mileage by 12 miles and not 7 as I thought above. Still feel rested, but perhaps time spent training this week versus last week was a wash. Banishing thoughts of swimming tomorrow night.

20 Mile Run

WINDY!!!
    Omg.....I may not have tackled many hills today, but the wind I was charging into certainly has some near equivalent to hills. Otherwise, it was a gorgeous day....the sun was shining and it was pretty mild out. I started out at around 10:30 this morning when the temperature was in the lower 40s wearing three top layers, gloves and a hat. By noon-ish, I had shed one top layer and the gloves. Left the hat on....it was giving me some kind of tough guy attitude I was digging, and I'm not even a hat wearer.

The plan called for me to do this run at a 9:15 pace, and I had every intention of abiding by that pace....but. !!!!!! Crap! Just give me an "F" now and be done with it. I tried, sort of, but I just prefer to relax and go at the pace my body tells me to go. I have three more 20 milers to run yet per this plan, so what I might do next time is, assuming I don't stick to the plan pace, compute how much time I'm supposed to be on my feet and run for that amount of time instead of stopping at 20 miles. I assume that will satisfy the goal of time on my feet. (please jump in here if this is a bad idea.)

I took a water and jelly bean break at 9.75 miles and at 16.6 miles. Tummy felt a little iffy from mile 4 to mile 7 (Oryx, I think you jinxed me!), but that resolved on it's own.

Summary per mile as follows...you can probably tell when I was head first into wind:
    8:32, 8:40, 8:23, 8:16, 8:44, 8:24, 8:25, 8:45, 8:23, 8:18, 8:23, 8:25, 8:12, 8:37, 8:21, 8:09, 8:24, 8:41, 8:03, 7:40, 3:56 cool down @ 9:25 pace

20.4 miles, 2:51:45, 8:24/mile

During this run, I mulled over in my mind Bambaata's diet that he has posted on his thread. He is Mr. Discipline and I commend him. I, on the other hand, need some sort of diet intervention. I chuckled to myself at how far apart Bambaata and I are, and wondered how I can even get through 20 mile runs or 8,000 yard swims on what I eat. So just for sh!ts and giggles, and inspired by Bambaata, here's what I've had to eat in the last 24 hours:

Lunch on Friday, deep dish meat lovers pizza
    Friday afternoon snacks, Russell Stover chocolate, an apple, green and orange peppers (raw)
    Friday dinner, 3 strips of bacon and 3 eggs scrambled in the bacon grease
    Friday dessert, a big bowl of chocolate and espresso chocolate chip ice cream
    Breakfast this morning, 2 cups dry Honey Nut Cheerios
    Morning snacks before my run, 1 piece of Russell Stover chocolate, a piña colada cupcake, some dark baking chocolate, 2 peanut butter crackers, handful of jelly beans.

So what do you think? Any room for improvement here? ;)

Easy Trainer

I have found spinning on the bike the evening after a long run helps significantly with my legs feeling fit as a fiddle again....and it's pretty much an immediate feeling of relief the moment I hop off the bike. Tonight was an easy 15 miles in 63 minutes.

I was starving as my bike session ended, so after a quick shower it was time to pig out on leftover pizza and beer while I watch the NHL Allstar Skills Competition....with the next course being a big bowl of ice cream yet to be devoured. Let the good times roll! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

You'll feel much better when you read what ive eaten this weekend ;) Ill have it all updated later

Hilly Golf Course Run

Between the wind and the hills today, this run was a hellish jaunt around our local golf course whose equal parts natural and man-made beauty didn't even manage to distract me from the torture I was putting myself through. I did, however, have that fun loving gypsy punk band, Gogol Bordello, along with me to help keep the beat that I needed to climb and coast. Best song by far for the hills was "Super Taranta!" with it's crazy accordion and frenetic violin. It gave me that special push I needed to muscle it out.

9.29 miles, 1:23.21, 8:58/mile

Interval Session

This was a bust. Started out on the treadmill and did my two warmup miles, then immediately after I got the first two out of six 800 meters at 7 min/mile pace under my belt, the treadmill decided to slow down to a very graceful complete stop.....and all sorts of display lights started flashing....and various messages were scrolling across the face of the treadie. About the only thing that was missing from this tragically heartbreaking moment was smoke and sparks. Crap! And it was way too late and too dark to head down to the school track to finish this session, so I changed into my cycling shorts and decided to punish myself on the bike.

Pre-treadie breakdown run: 3.3 miles in 30 minutes.
    The part to repair this catastrophe should be here in two days. Thank goodness it's calling for good weather the rest of this week. Whew!

I will swap out my 90 minute Tuesday morning yoga class for dreaded intervals at the high school track where I will be quite interested to see how well I do without the treadmill forcing the specified pace.

Trainer

Overall, this session was ugly. As usual, the first two miles were spent convincing my legs that all was going to be okay and that they really were going to enjoy what I had in store for them. After these first miles, the legs were in a happy place and from mile 2 to mile 6 I pushed them pretty hard. Somewhere around mile 7, however, waves of nausea and a feeling of light-headedness set in. Had I pushed too hard too soon? I backed off a bit....thought briefly about stopping, but suspected I'd have these same feelings in endurance races so I decided to deal with my situation through internal negotiations, pain/fatigue/nausea partitioning, and musical distraction. All this worked pretty well and there was some very solid spinning that left me drenched in sweat. I was a bit shaky and still light-headed upon completion of this session, so I'm thinking nutrition may be catching up with me. I felt a thousand times better after I got some dinner in me.

25 miles in 1 hour 35 minutes

• Advertisement

What was your hr doing for that bike session?

Low blood sugar. If you are anyway tired getting on the bike or if you have trained already or just done a run session, I'd recommend a banana or similar snack in between. Particularly if you are going to spend 90 minutes sweating...

What was your hr doing for that bike session?

I don't know. :o I am very bad about wearing my monitor - just don't think about it. I'm not very sophisticated in this regard. Was panting pretty good, but my gut says it was lack of nutrition by the way I felt. But maybe I'll wear the monitor tonight while on the bike as it would be good to know where I am. :)
    Low blood sugar. If you are anyway tired getting on the bike or if you have trained already or just done a run session, I'd recommend a banana or similar snack in between. Particularly if you are going to spend 90 minutes sweating...

I think you're right. Thanks.....will have a snack handy - even if I don't feel like I need it at that moment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I don't know. :o I am very bad about wearing my monitor - just don't think about it. I'm not very sophisticated in this regard.

I'd be of the similar level of sophistication but it can be the clearest indicator of oncoming illness for me. However, hopefully its just a case of not enough food.

interested wrote: »
    I'd be of the similar level of sophistication but it can be the clearest indicator of oncoming illness for me. However, hopefully its just a case of not enough food.

Illness actually did cross my mind...and this morning I do feel a little "funny" still, but I'm writing off that "funny" feeling to the fact that I'm reluctantly heading out the door to do my interval running session. Gulp. I hate the feeling of having to throw up - and that's what intervals do to me, give me that feeling. I'll report back in when finished. I hope it's not a total failure of a session. ...chin up.....positive attitude...go get 'em....blah, blah, blah.....

... however, if the 'funny' feeling persists and is apparent during the session its a higher priority in the greater scheme of things to listen to the body and respond rather than ignore and HTFU...

Particularly if you are heading out the door... reluctantly

... however, if the 'funny' feeling persists and is apparent during the session its a higher priority in the greater scheme of things to listen to the body and respond rather than ignore and HTFU...

Particularly if you are heading out the door... reluctantly

Literally walking out the door right now, but I will heed your wise advice if it does persist. I'll know by the end of the second 800 for sure (maybe even the first 800 if it's dreadful). Thanks!!!!

The hardest part of training is knowing when something is wrong, vs when youre just tired in a 'good' way. At this point you need to keep a close eye on how youre feeling, day to day, week to week. No point pushing through fatigue only to end up doing junk.

The plan called for me to do this run at a 9:15 pace, ...

Summary per mile as follows...you can probably tell when I was head first into wind:
    8:32, 8:40, 8:23, 8:16, 8:44, 8:24, 8:25, 8:45, 8:23, 8:18, 8:23, 8:25, 8:12, 8:37, 8:21, 8:09, 8:24, 8:41, 8:03, 7:40, 3:56 cool down @ 9:25 pace

You're on the wrong plan, Dory. You should be capable of well under 3:30, if you're doing LSR's at that pace, this early, and they aren't wrecking you for the rest of the week.

• Advertisement

The hardest part of training is knowing when something is wrong, vs when youre just tired in a 'good' way. At this point you need to keep a close eye on how youre feeling, day to day, week to week. No point pushing through fatigue only to end up doing junk.

You are absolutely correct, wise woman!! I will keep an eye on things, and I'm going to try to get to bed about 30 minutes earlier - I drag my feet getting there doing little things around the house. :)
    You're on the wrong plan, Dory. You should be capable of well under 3:30, if you're doing LSR's at that pace, this early, and they aren't wrecking you for the rest of the week.

Definitely not wrecking me, but I just don't believe I have a 3:30 in me. My gut tells me that I train close to race speed (maybe I'm wrong, but it's how we trained in swimming), plus that 20 miler had two breaks for water and jelly beans. I have no idea how NOT taking breaks on the actual day will translate. Maybe you have an idea? One thing I've been doing after my long runs is hopping on the trainer and spinning for an hour. I absolutely swear by this!! As soon as I am off the trainer my legs feel almost new again.

Advertisement