Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Dory Dory wrote: »

Definitely not wrecking me, but I just don't believe I have a 3:30 in me. My gut tells me that I train close to race speed (maybe I'm wrong, but it's how we trained in swimming), plus that 20 miler had two breaks for water and jelly beans. I have no idea how NOT taking breaks on the actual day will translate. Maybe you have an idea? One thing I've been doing after my long runs is hopping on the trainer and spinning for an hour. I absolutely swear by this!! As soon as I am off the trainer my legs feel almost new again.

The spinning is a great idea for muscle recovery, and that's what LSR's are about. You don't seem to get DOMS or anything, so your recovery is great. If its working well, why fix it, I guess?

Have you any 10 mile/ half marathon races planned? They will give you an idea of what your marathon racing speed will be.

And I wouldn't think those water breaks are of any substance (although its a good idea to practice drinking on the hoof, or at least slowing to a walk for 20-30 secs, to get fluids in).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You're on the wrong plan, Dory. You should be capable of well under 3:30, if you're doing LSR's at that pace, this early, and they aren't wrecking you for the rest of the week.
    If you're struggling to run slow enough to meet the demands of the training exercise, it's a pretty good indication that your target needs review. As long as you're doing the necessary endurance work (long runs (and by the sounds of things you are)) aiming for a faster target should be within your grasp. It'd also be useful to get an indication of how hard you are working, during these long runs, so wear your HR monitor for a long run too, and post back your findings (even better in the form of a Garmin Connect link).

I find that If I'm doing a long run, and struggling to stay within the bounds of the planned pace (i.e. running too fast) then some sort of progression run helps with the discipline. e.g.:
    First five miles at 9:15
    Next four miles at: 9:00
    Next three miles at: 8:45
    Next three miles at: 8:30
    Next two miles at: 8:00
    Next two miles at: 7:45
    Final mile at 9:15.
    Or some variation of same, that brings you up to marathon or half marathon pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Intervals!!!!!!!!!!

This is a continuation of last night's session, or rather a re-do of last night's session. Plan called for 6 x 800s at 3:30 with 1:30 rest in between. I usually do these on the treadmill....the treadmill that dictates the pace that forces me to comply with the plan. And I like that. As my previous posts indicated, last night I wasn't feeling my best - gut says due to nutrition. Today I still wasn't feeling my best - gut says due to stress caused by having to do these intervals outside (without the luxury of the treadmill) thus having to see what I have inside me. Besides really hating intervals...and really hating how they make me feel (nauseated, painful, tight, out of breath, etc...), I did okay today. Much better than I expected, so I am both surprised and delighted with my times.

2 miles easy
    6 x 800:
    3:19 (was a bit crazy-fast at the start!)
    3:23
    3:24
    3:23
    2 miles easy

My interval rest was probably closer to 2 to 3 minutes, but what the heck!!?? Here's my Garmin info....since I'm here at work I can load this.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/146144984

So, so, so glad this is done. And now I know I can hit my targets without the crutch of the treadmill.

The spinning is a great idea for muscle recovery, and that's what LSR's are about. You don't seem to get DOMS or anything, so your recovery is great. If its working well, why fix it, I guess?

Have you any 10 mile/ half marathon races planned? They will give you an idea of what your marathon racing speed will be.

And I wouldn't think those water breaks are of any substance (although its a good idea to practice drinking on the hoof, or at least slowing to a walk for 20-30 secs, to get fluids in).

I agree - a 10 mile or half marathon race would be perfect to give me proper indication. There is a 10 miler in 3 weeks I have my eye on. It's about 3 hours away from here (which does not delight me), but I will give it serious consideration.

If you're struggling to run slow enough to meet the demands of the training exercise, it's a pretty good indication that your target needs review. As long as you're doing the necessary endurance work (long runs (and by the sounds of things you are)) aiming for a faster target should be within your grasp. It'd also be useful to get an indication of how hard you are working, during these long runs, so wear your HR monitor for a long run too, and post back your findings (even better in the form of a Garmin Connect link).

I find that If I'm doing a long run, and struggling to stay within the bounds of the planned pace (i.e. running too fast) then some sort of progression run helps with the discipline. e.g.:
    First five miles at 9:15
    Next four miles at: 9:00
    Next three miles at: 8:45
    Next three miles at: 8:30
    Next two miles at: 8:00
    Next two miles at: 7:45
    Final mile at 9:15.
    Or some variation of same, that brings you up to marathon or half marathon pace.

It's funny you mention the progression run, because that's actually what I had in mind for last Saturday's 20 miler. I had all the intervals planned out on paper the night before, but out the window it went when I got to about mile 3. UGH! Maybe I'll try this again. Question - why is your final progression mile slow (9:15) and not the fastest mile of the run? I usually try to make my last mile the fastest.

It's funny you mention the progression run, because that's actually what I had in mind for last Saturday's 20 miler. I had all the intervals planned out on paper the night before, but out the window it went when I got to about mile 3. UGH! Maybe I'll try this again. Question - why is your final progression mile slow (9:15) and not the fastest mile of the run? I usually try to make my last mile the fastest.
    Warm-down. No other reason. I'm equally as badly behaved and tend to sprint right up to my front door, and then spend five minutes coughing and spluttering. If it's a progression run or a pmp session though (or any kind of session rather than generic training run), I'll try and finish with an easier mile, 'cos the next run is always less than 24 hours away.

You have a Garmin right? You can set up an advanced training activity, with blocks of miles (similar to the above). I tend not to input the pace target for the block though, as sometimes I'll want to go a little bit faster,, and find the constant pace correction beeps very annoying. But it's amazing finishing a 20+ mile run at half marathon pace or faster. It gives you such a motivational boost.

• Advertisement

Warm-down. No other reason. I'm equally as badly behaved and tend to sprint right up to my front door, and then spend five minutes coughing and spluttering. If it's a progression run or a pmp session though (or any kind of session rather than generic training run), I'll try and finish with an easier mile, 'cos the next run is always less than 24 hours away.

You have a Garmin right? You can set up an advanced training activity, with blocks of miles (similar to the above). I tend not to input the pace target for the block though, as sometimes I'll want to go a little bit faster,, and find the constant pace correction beeps very annoying. But it's amazing finishing a 20+ mile run at half marathon pace or faster. It gives you such a motivational boost.

So that's why I sound as if I'm trying to cough up my left lung after a run!! No cool down! ;)

Yep, have a Garmin. I'll play around with it - never used advanced training activity - but I'll have a look to see if I can figure it out!! Thanks!:)

Trainer

25 miles in approximately 90 minutes. I felt great - had a quick snack before mounting the bike that definitely helped the quality of this session. Yay!!

Short report tonight....Caps are playing Tampa Bay (their coach is hot with his wicked-cool scar on his right cheek) and it's tied. 10 minutes to go. Tight game. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Seriously, just reading your log exhausts me. Although I really want to invest in a trainer now… :-/

And I LOVE your food diary from the weekend. If you can't do it now amid all of the hardcore training, then there is simply no God. It's the least one deserves! I've just had a huge bowl of porridge with honey and a coffee, which will keep me going for roughly 45 minutes. Then I'll have a banana while planning my 11am snack. That should suffice as my healthy start to the day; before I begin to actually start the consumption to fuel the bottomless pit that is my appetite these days!

claralara wrote: »
    Seriously, just reading your log exhausts me. Although I really want to invest in a trainer now… :-/

And I LOVE your food diary from the weekend. If you can't do it now amid all of the hardcore training, then there is simply no God. It's the least one deserves! I've just had a huge bowl of porridge with honey and a coffee, which will keep me going for roughly 45 minutes. Then I'll have a banana while planning my 11am snack. That should suffice as my healthy start to the day; before I begin to actually start the consumption to fuel the bottomless pit that is my appetite these days!

That trainer has saved my legs, no doubt! Hit your digger up for one as a Valentine's Day gift, perhaps. (do you celebrate Valentine's Day in Ireland?)

And we must be in the mutual appreciation society where food is concerned....for I always smile when I read about your steak, potato wedges, wine and never ending tins of roses. (just what the heck are tins of roses? obviously chocolatey goodness...as they seem quite popular!)

Relaxing Hilly Easy Long Recovery or Whatever-The-Heck-You-Want-To-Call-It Run

What an absolutely gorgeous evening it was tonight! Mid 50s and mild.....just perfect for a proper run about town. On with the runners, back with the hair, and off to see and be seen by the town folk in their Chevy pickup trucks or out walking their four legged best friend. Down Main Street I went, then up and down some side streets.....up the big hill by the middle school and back down again....a quick stop at the railroad crossing while the horn tooting train zipped by with enough speed to blow my bangs back (what a display of energy and artistry!)....over to Court Street and past the court house and attorney row....down the scary huge hill and back up again.....(special shout-out to South Court Inn for allowing me the use of their roomy front lawn and strategically placed bushes for when natured called :o).....back to Main Street...some more side streets......the Greenway.....more side streets....more hills.....Main Street and home. Oh, and what friendly inmates we have at our local jail. The two lads that I ran by who were looking sharp in their stripes and walking with the warden get points for their smiles and waves. ;)

Great run.....decided not to give a thought to pace as I wanted to keep this as low key as possible. Plus, I tend to keep it slow when I run in the dark and on uneven sidewalks for fear of a mis-step. I had my Garmin on, but I really only paid attention to the vibration of the miles counted and not the pace I was running. Was pleased with the final results.

12.3 miles in 1:59:39 for an average pace of 9:42/mile

This week is a little off due to my treadmill being on the fritz....but interval was yesterday and tempo will be tomorrow. More spinning tomorrow night, then swimming Friday night. :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You are a poet, missus. A virtual tour of whereever the feck it is you live. :) Makes a change from the usual log entry you see around these parts of

lsr pmp @ 7.25 x 100 w/u c/d sfa... yadda... yadda... yadda.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Oryx wrote: »
    You are a poet, missus. A virtual tour of whereever the feck it is you live. :) Makes a change from the usual log entry you see around these parts of

Last run post on my log just for you then ;)

+1
    I agree. I love reading Dory Dory's picture perfect poetic account of the same stuff most of us are boringly blogging about :)

Oryx wrote: »

You've totally made my day - thanks. :) Truth is, I am ignorant when it comes to technical mumbo jumbo, and I don't have fancy equipment, charts or graphs...so, I guess because I can't contribute in that way I try to make up for it by sharing a little of what's around me - my observations. But this forum is no stranger to creative writers. OMG...my faves include dpop and Sir Krusty....and Catweazle can write a mean post-mortem.....others too....and now the pressure is on our beloved shotgun!! ;)

(oh...and here's my Garmin from last night so you can see where the feck it is I live. :D)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/146591668
    Last run post on my log just for you then ;)

+1
    I agree. I love reading Dory Dory's picture perfect poetic account of the same stuff most of us are boringly blogging about :)

Enjoyed your ghetto chit chat this morning on dpop's thread, but I can't wait to read your run post.....I bet it'll be a doozy!! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I trade you my fecks for your bangs and doozys. Cultural exchange, right here!

As you know I dont do the numbers/graphs/garmin connect. To be honest, going to all that effort makes me more tired than the training.

Tempo Run

With the treadmill still on life support, it was a proper run for me this morning to get this checked off my list of weekly key runs. It was a bit dreary outside and spitting rain, but because I only had a small window of opportunity to get this done due to work obligations, I could not wait until this afternoon when the sun is suposed to makes its appearance.

After a quick change from nurse-maid to runner-wanna-be at work (ta-da!!), off I went to tackle the asphalt and old men of the Greenway (and I must say, the old men were looking quite dapper this morning ;)). First mile felt sluggish. Really sluggish. It had only been 12 hours since I ran 12.3 miles last night - easy miles - but I could feel the mileage in my legs. I briefly lamented my decision last night to go on that long (yet easy) run knowing I had this key run the next day. As the first mile neared its completioin, I thought about the saying in this forum...HTFU....and knew I had to snap out of my funk and get over my legs feeling like I had cinder blocks for shoes. Turnover of my legs became a bit faster.....head and chest a little taller.....stride a little more deliberate. I did have to stop briefly after 2 tempo miles to shed my top layer for I was smothering to death - no way was I going to make it another 4 miles with that thing suffocating me. Last 4 miles felt grand....and was pleased with my paces. I finished the run off with 3 easy breezy miles as the sun was peeking out behind the clouds.

Plan called for me to do 1 easy mile, 6 tempo miles at 8:20, 1 easy mile. Here's what I actually did:

Easy mile: 8:53
    Tempo miles: 8:03, 7:41, 7:47, 7:50, 7:39, 7:17
    Easy miles: 9:23, 9:28, 9:25

10.08 miles in 1:24:12

So obviously I've improved since I started this marathon plan...and target numbers need to be adjusted here and there, but, as Scarlett O'Hara said in that silver screen classic Gone With The Wind, I'll think about that tomorrow.

Tempo Run

Plan called for me to do 1 easy mile, 6 tempo miles at 8:20, 1 easy mile. Here's what I actually did:

Easy mile: 8:53
    Tempo miles: 8:03, 7:41, 7:47, 7:50, 7:39, 7:17

Think about it tomorrow if that suits you better, but here's some food for thought: tempo runs are meant to stress the system. You should really feel the effort in doing them, and be glad the feckers are finished when they're done. If your plan says 8:20 is tempo, and you're running an average of 33 secs faster than that (and finishing with a 7:17!), you really need to reconsider the plan. No-one wants to put undue pressure on you, especially since its your first marathon, but the shape you're in, and the progress in your training, suggest order's of magnitude better than the 3:45 (I think?) you were targeting.

Crucially, you are enjoying the training, and are upbeat at a time in a marathon schedule when many are feeling the dull aches and hurt of increased workload. That's a great position to be in.

What races do you have coming up, they'll give a good indicator. Oh, and you should write a book with your training plan, you'd sell thousands!

Think about it tomorrow if that suits you better, but here's some food for thought: tempo runs are meant to stress the system. You should really feel the effort in doing them, and be glad the feckers are finished when they're done. If your plan says 8:20 is tempo, and you're running an average of 33 secs faster than that (and finishing with a 7:17!), you really need to reconsider the plan. No-one wants to put undue pressure on you, especially since its your first marathon, but the shape you're in, and the progress in your training, suggest order's of magnitude better than the 3:45 (I think?) you were targeting.

Crucially, you are enjoying the training, and are upbeat at a time in a marathon schedule when many are feeling the dull aches and hurt of increased workload. That's a great position to be in.

What races do you have coming up, they'll give a good indicator. Oh, and you should write a book with your training plan, you'd sell thousands!

Does it stress the system? Yes. As much as it's supposed to? Perhaps not. Why? Ummm....fear?

Seriously, the plan's paces are based on historical data - specifically a 10k run and a half marathon run - so I concur that it appears that perhaps (just maybe) I have improved since I logged those times in, thus making my paces antiquated, outdated, and obsolete. ;) And that's why I don't run those paces. Races in the future (besides the marathon in 9 weeks!!!!)? Still looking at the 10 miler in 3 weeks....but trying to decide if the information gained from trekking 3 hours down and 3 hours back in one day is worth the effort and energy it will take. What-chu say, dpop?

And yes, I am thoroughly enjoying the training. You want to hear something bad-arse crazy? I actually am having thoughts of trying to qualify for Boston...or NY. OMG. Of course, we'll see after I cross the finish line how I do or if I even come close. (Silly idea....) But one major factor in my enjoyment of the training is.....wait for it....this forum and you folks. What a gold mine you guys and gals are.

I had my Garmin on, but I really only paid attention to the vibration of the miles counted
    Ooohh... A fancy Garmin... :)
    Do you ever look at the 'Training Effect' information in Garmin Connect? Might provide some additional information on how hard you are training (if you're wearing a HRM).

Do you ever look at the 'Training Effect' information in Garmin Connect? Might provide some additional information on how hard you are training (if you're wearing a HRM).

Listen here, you silly clown....your Garmin is fancier than my Garmin. Isn't yours a multi-sport model? That has a battery life of 20 hours...which is perfect for triathlons?? Mine is not waterproof and only has a mere 8 hours until the medics need to be brought in to breathe life back into it's fragile little body.

Training effect!! Shoot! I knew there was something I was supposed to do! I've got the Garmin with me here at work....will have a look. And yes, yes, yes...the heart rate monitor thingy. You are right. I should have worn it today as it would have been perfect to glean good info from. I have a 13 mile run this weekend....should I wear it for that?

Listen here, you silly clown....your Garmin is fancier than my Garmin. Isn't yours a multi-sport model? That has a battery life of 20 hours...which is perfect for triathlons?? Mine is not waterproof and only has a mere 8 hours until the medics need to be brought in to breathe life back into it's fragile little body.

Training effect!! Shoot! I knew there was something I was supposed to do! I've got the Garmin with me here at work....will have a look. And yes, yes, yes...the heart rate monitor thingy. You are right. I should have worn it today as it would have been perfect to glean good info from. I have a 13 mile run this weekend....should I wear it for that?
    Yep, I don't know that much about the accuracy of 'training effect' as only my new 20 hour, waterproof, multi-sport triathlon watch supports this feature, but probably something worth keeping an eye on, as it might give you an indication of how hard you are training during long runs, pmp runs etc. Anyway, give it a try at the weekend on your 13 mile run. See what it says.

• Advertisement

Totally off message here....but it's Groundhog Day here in the states....so, in that honor, I feel I must post one of my favorite blues artists - Jonny Lang - singing Groundhog Day....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D-Qov92W00

Totally off message here....but it's Groundhog Day here in the states....

Well, did the little feller make an appearance? (I really miss all that folksy tradition stuff from the States, that passes for history in a country not 250 years old...)

Well, did the little feller make an appearance? (I really miss all that folksy tradition stuff from the States, that passes for history in a country not 250 years old...)

Yep, the little rascal did indeed see his shadow! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You could always do a time trial, if there are no races handy. Measure a 10 mile route and give it a lash. And then take a couple of minutes off that time because you'd have gone faster in a race.
    You sound like you're in 3.30 shape - I ran it a few months ago, and I'd have been happy to run the tempo runs and long runs you're doing now. I can understand if you want to be a bit conservative in your targets for a first marathon, but don't sell yourself short either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    You could always do a time trial, if there are no races handy. Measure a 10 mile route and give it a lash. And then take a couple of minutes off that time because you'd have gone faster in a race.
    You sound like you're in 3.30 shape - I ran it a few months ago, and I'd have been happy to run the tempo runs and long runs you're doing now. I can understand if you want to be a bit conservative in your targets for a first marathon, but don't sell yourself short either...

+1 a time trial sounds like a good idea. Even a 5/10k on the track would give you a good idea of where you're at (you can replace a tempo/interval session with this), if you can find yourself a pacer to push you through the TT even better.

RayCun wrote: »

Thanks....that time trial might be a nice compromise.

And it's just that fine line between selling yourself short and failure that's tricky business. And fear of blowing up on my first marathon. :eek:

menoscemo wrote: »
    +1 a time trial sounds like a good idea. Even a 5/10k on the track would give you a good idea of where you're at (you can replace a tempo/interval session with this), if you can find yourself a pacer to push you through the TT even better.

Gosh, another great idea, thanks....and, I think I know just the person who can pace me. In fact, I'm supposed to run with him on Saturday. :)

Still looking at the 10 miler in 3 weeks....but trying to decide if the information gained from trekking 3 hours down and 3 hours back in one day is worth the effort and energy it will take. What-chu say, dpop?

And yes, I am thoroughly enjoying the training.

What-eye say is that you're making all the correct decisions, doing everything right: why change that to satisfy my curiosity? Seriously, having thought about it, I'm henpecking you about target times and how they "should" equate to your tempo pace (and vice versa), when the reality is I'm learning from you. I've done quite a few marathons, all following a plan which emphasizes more miles=faster times. That hasn't worked for me lately, so here I am in your blog, trying to pigeonhole you into a version of what-tempo-time-I-think-you-should-be-doing, so I can use that info in the final analysis after your swim/bike/run training is done and dusted.

You've no need to go to a 10 miler 6 hrs round trip away, just to tell you that you're in good shape- you can see that from your training. For the same reason, I don't think there's much worth in you running a time trial either- the results you need so far are showing themselves in the training you do. It's been a while since someone here ran a marathon based on multisport training (at least as far as I'm aware), so I'd only advise that you continue doing what's been working for you. You're clued into that, you can see the positive results, and have heightened your expectations for the race, as you should. 20 mile training runs are a great indicator as it is.

A firm and sincere "as you were" from me, I'm convinced you're doing this the perfect way that will maximize your result on the day. You're enjoying it, no niggles or injuries, getting faster, rightfully hopeful of a great result on the only day that matters- what can possibly be wrong with that?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I get a 4 on it no matter what I do. I reckon if I wore my Garmin to bed it would give me a 4 in the morning too ... ok bad example lets go again :D

I reckon if I wore my Garmin doing yoga it would give me a 4 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I get a 4 on it no matter what I do. I reckon if I wore my Garmin to bed it would give me a 4 in the morning too ... ok bad example lets go again :D

I reckon if I wore my Garmin doing yoga it would give me a 4 :rolleyes:
    What kind of Garmin do you have?

Advertisement